Thailand wants to lose its reputation for being ‘cheap’, aims to become premium travel destination

webfact

Thailand is simply not appealing anymore. Make it more 'premium'  (=expensive) without giving anything in exchange will just scare away rest of the tourists. Personally I felt the relative easiness and affordability plus a great weather during northern hemisphere winter were Thailand's main benefits. It seems only the last point still stands today.

23 hours ago, chuang said:

Goodbye Cheap Charlies...

Cheap Charlies lol just wait until they are all gone not much sheit to do here anymore of anything too many restrictions dirty stinky too many dogs. You want your country back you’ll move back to 4th world country then cry for yankee dollars ,yuan ,yen , euro etc.

7 hours ago, rabang said:

Thailand is simply not appealing anymore. Make it more 'premium'  (=expensive) without giving anything in exchange will just scare away rest of the tourists. Personally I felt the relative easiness and affordability plus a great weather during northern hemisphere winter were Thailand's main benefits. It seems only the last point still stands today.

So, Thailand at least has one unneglible point today. 

16 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Say what? I can neither concur or deny any speculative posts.  

Nor should you be prepared to admit that they exist, and you should deny any knowledge referring to the fact that they may or may not exist.

On 7/5/2022 at 12:35 AM, LomSak27 said:

Anutin does what he has to do. It is the head PooYai who so wants Thailand to be a destination of the rich and famous. A nation resembling Singapore.

Isn't Singapore really clean and people follow the rule of law there?

They lost the reputation of being cheap 4 years ago already, not that that is gonna help them, the opposite in fact.

Vietnam is not complaining of the tourist dollars that moved in that direction, neither does Bali complain about the loads of digital nomads who now spend 2K usd average per month there.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

They lost the reputation of being cheap 4 years ago already, not that that is gonna help them, the opposite in fact.

Vietnam is not complaining of the tourist dollars that moved in that direction, neither does Bali complain about the loads of digital nomads who now spend 2K usd average per month there.

16 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

I wouldn't be too sure about your comment on Bali not complaining, do a quick Google Search and  u will see the headlines from a few months ago, no more backpackers only quality tourists wanted. 

I know that i'm adding to the rest, but honestly it just won't.  IT's impossible.  The infrastructure, sewers that smell, the rats, and everything else... it just won't happen.  

It's fine that they want to go that way.  I disagree with it but then things change all the time.  Everything does.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Daithi85 said:

I wouldn't be too sure about your comment on Bali not complaining, do a quick Google Search and  u will see the headlines from a few months ago, no more backpackers only quality tourists wanted. 

I agree with you - but if you want to go elsewhere in Indonesia then there is so much more to see and go.  

Even backpackers now, the new ones don't want to live in rat trap places necessarily.  All the young people that I hear talk about Bali, certainly not Thailand.  Thailand isn't what it used to be and it never will again I feel.  

Could certainly be wrong, have been wrong in the past once or twice!

• Like 1

What a bunch of delusional people that want to decide for alot of good thai´s that never get listened to what they want...  Thailand is nowhere close to being a world class destination with all their open severs, dual pricing, corrupt taxi system and in way too many places dirty streets...
I wish Thailand actually could be a world class destination that offered security and where tourists could feel totally safe, but there are way too many things that need taken care of before they even get close to that.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Blumpie said:

I agree with you - but if you want to go elsewhere in Indonesia then there is so much more to see and go.  

Even backpackers now, the new ones don't want to live in rat trap places necessarily.  All the young people that I hear talk about Bali, certainly not Thailand.  Thailand isn't what it used to be and it never will again I feel.  

Could certainly be wrong, have been wrong in the past once or twice!

When  I first arrived in Thailand everywhere I went the place was full of backpackers, bus stations ,train stations backpackers everywhere. Like u say it has changed unfortunately.I for one miss the old Thailand.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Blumpie said:

I know that i'm adding to the rest, but honestly it just won't.  IT's impossible.  The infrastructure, sewers that smell, the rats, and everything else... it just won't happen.  

It's fine that they want to go that way.  I disagree with it but then things change all the time.  Everything does.  

Thailand is a country happy with private wealth and public squalor. It can not be high class. 

• Like 1

After living in Thailand for a few years i can sum up the pro's and cons easily :

- rubbish, dogs, unsafe everything, traffic deaths, double pricing, corruption, silly visa rules, hot, rice with stuff is not a world class kitchen

+ Good affordable houses, cheap gasoline (i come from Europe), nice people, no income tax in my situation.

For Mr. Anutin : Higher prices for mediocre stuff has never ever worked, if you want tourists Thailand has only 2 cards : Lower prices and girls. Without those no one would come.

If one of the plus item's is no longer true, i'll be out of here. 

Confused, why would anyone want to go to a polluted cesspool if not cheap!

Come live where air pollution alone kills millions and shortens life expectancy by years and pay a premium for that... Difference strokes I guess. 

Edited by garyk
  • Haha 1

I think I will buy some land over a garbage dump in the US and build a premium resort. 

It will have three different themes.

1:  Issan theme, every morning and evening I will set fires and blow the smoke over the Issan room.

2: Island theme, I will dump all the sewage into the lake around the rooms.

3: BKK and city theme, I will set up diesel engine belching black smoke and carbon monoxide and blanket the rooms.

And of course have one 10 story balcony for the people that want to escape and jump...

And charge a hefty price for the Thai experence.

Edited by garyk
  • Haha 2