Uk Television/projector

Thaicoon

Hi Guys,

Been offered a Projector Television system and electric 10 foot screen, 6 months old, the guy paid 2500 GBP for this, he has just lost his job and offered it to me for 500, i was wondering will this work in Thailand, as having a lot of stuff shipped out shortly, wife and i plan to open a sportsbar so this would be ideal for live football and the big games on UBC, as well as having a plasma.

And brill for my playstation..........................

thanks guys,

Edited by Thaicoon

Hi Guys,

Been offered a Projector Television system and electric 10 foot screen, 6 months old, the guy paid 2500 GBP for this, he has just lost his job and offered it to me for 500, i was wondering will this work in Thailand, as having a lot of stuff shipped out shortly, wife and i plan to open a sportsbar so this would be ideal for live football and the big games on UBC, as well as having a plasma.

thanks guys,

The projector will likely work, whats the model number? forget about the screen, they are cheap out here and shipping them costs a fortune.

Hi Guys,

thanks guys,

The projector will likely work, whats the model number? forget about the screen, they are cheap out here and shipping them costs a fortune.

Hi Ben,

All i know it is an NEC, not sure of model number, he told me it cost 2499.00, would this be right ?, i think expensive.

The UK and Thailand both use the same TV system (PAL) and the same electrical system (220V), so technically it will work. There might be a problem with using some of the SCART ports (if it comes with any) but since it should have composite/svideo ports then everything should be fine. 500GBP sounds like a steep discount for equipment that used to cost 2500, but if you trust the guy.... Shipping, if you're shipping by freight, then it shouldn't be too bad.

The UK and Thailand both use the same TV system (PAL) and the same electrical system (220V), so technically it will work.

The UK uses PAL 'I' and Thailand uses PAL 'G'. The video sytstem is the same but the sound frequencies are different, although this can usually be changed in modern TV's software settings. The other difference, and main problem, is that the UK only transmits its signals in the UHF waveband whilst Thailand uses UHF, VHF(low) and VHF(high) wavebands. Ths requires a different tuner (sometimes two tuners) and a lot of extra circuitry in the Thai system. In UK sets there are usually spaces on the circuit boards where the extra components should be but it would be too expensive to have them added and cheaper to buy a new set.

Projectors (especially 4:3 data projectors) depreciate like a stone..

So not surprising he cant shift a 2500 GBP purchase for 500..

Yes technically it should work.

As I pointed out in the previous post, as with any set designed for the UK market, technically it WON'T work, at least not without expensive modifications. As the UK set only has a UHF tuner you won't have access to the majority of channels in Thailand as they are transmitted in the VHF (low & high) frequencies. For the channels transmitted in the UHF frequencies you will get a picture but NOT get any sound because a UK set is designed to receive sound transmitted at 6MHz and Thailand transmits its sound at 5.5MHz.

Edited by sumrit

Just checked out TV projectors on E-Bay they are as cheap as chips brand new, found one for 299.00 GBP, you can pick them up for as little as 160, crazy, these were stupid prices a couple of years back, the one i have found, the seller has one of these in a condo in Pattaya, and it works fine, he has told me he will even get it wired to a 2 pin plug, so i may buy two of these off him, one for the Bar, and one for home, here is the link, it looks good.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...p;rd=1&rd=1

The one my mate has for sale does not have the tuner in the projector, i think he has had this from work, enough said. so not going to chance it.

NO projectors work on RF Cable, but as long as they are the right volage and you are getting the signal from a set top box/satellite box it will work. Besides there's very easy ways to get around the Coaxial (TV) Cable issues that sumrit discussed.

It will not work with the Thai TV signals,

BUT it will work with your UBC satellite receiver, using the AV cables.

This is what i want it for, UBC live sports, football etc, ideal in the Bar we are going to open, so good news,

Also, thanks ben and everybody for your sound advise, well appreciated.

As I pointed out in the previous post, as with any set designed for the UK market, technically it WON'T work, at least not without expensive modifications. As the UK set only has a UHF tuner you won't have access to the majority of channels in Thailand as they are transmitted in the VHF (low & high) frequencies. For the channels transmitted in the UHF frequencies you will get a picture but NOT get any sound because a UK set is designed to receive sound transmitted at 6MHz and Thailand transmits its sound at 5.5MHz.

And what projector do you feed the sound out to ??

Take your UBC box and feed the s-video cable to projector.. Sound through your amp..

Working !!! Why look for problems when simple solutions exist !!

Aren't we talking about a projector here? I mean, usually we don't use projectors to shoot plain-old lousy SD signals, no? And assuming that the OP would be watching, I doubt that he would want to watch local Thai-language TV? I was assuming that this wouldn't be used for off-the-air TV output, so even with the differences in PAL-B and PAL-I (which apply only to the antenna connection), it would work.

Oh, well, I perhaps assumed too much.

This is what i want it for, UBC live sports, football etc, ideal in the Bar we are going to open, so good news,

Please check out the copyright implications of showing these programmes in your new bar.

Aren't we talking about a projector here? I mean, usually we don't use projectors to shoot plain-old lousy SD signals, no? And assuming that the OP would be watching, I doubt that he would want to watch local Thai-language TV? I was assuming that this wouldn't be used for off-the-air TV output, so even with the differences in PAL-B and PAL-I (which apply only to the antenna connection), it would work.

Oh, well, I perhaps assumed too much.

I watch almost all of my TV viewing (sat UBC) on the projector with a 120 inch screen (but quite a large viewing distance too).. UBC is ugly but after running it through some external scaling and filters its watchable.. Sure its lousy SD but thats the TV source I have so...

Theres a little LCD panel so the GF can watch thai soaps etc in the daytime..

And what projector do you feed the sound out to ??

Take your UBC box and feed the s-video cable to projector.. Sound through your amp..

Working !!! Why look for problems when simple solutions exist !!

Modern 'television' projector systems can come as complete units and include tuners and sound systems. When the OP asked for information on a 'television projector system' I rightly or wrongly assumed thats what he was talking about. From his later posts its obvious he only requires a simple projector capable of taking 'composite video, s-video or RGB', in which case of cource the problems I mentioned would not be valid, not least because they don't even have an RF section. Something that was not obvious from the original post.

Sorry for any confusion.

Modern 'television' projector systems can come as complete units and include tuners and sound systems. When the OP asked for information on a 'television projector system' I rightly or wrongly assumed thats what he was talking about. From his later posts its obvious he only requires a simple projector capable of taking 'composite video, s-video or RGB', in which case of cource the problems I mentioned would not be valid, not least because they don't even have an RF section. Something that was not obvious from the original post.

Most of the 'TV' projectors (ie with a tuner) seem to be multi-standard so it would most likely work. Anyway it's academic now, he could buy this http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...109892&rd=1 for US$530 amazing price drop on these beasties, even spotted one with a built in DVD player (and a tuner).

Edited by Crossy

It will not work with the Thai TV signals,

BUT it will work with your UBC satellite receiver, using the AV cables.

I brought over a video recorder from the UK , wouldn't record or pick up any thing direct but put through the AV on my satelite system and it works fine, so I suppose if you use satelite or cable TV should not be a problem

Please check out the copyright implications of showing these programmes in your new bar.

You mention copyright implications, am i right in saying, if you show UBC with the live sports in a public place you are down to copyright ?, surely this only comes into effect if you record to be played back to the public, i have been in many bars in Thailand and they show live footie through UBC, what is the problem, do you have to pay more per month because it is veiwed in a public place, ie Bar, as this is what is done in the Dreaded UK with Sky.

Also thanks everybody with your replies.