Fee Free Debit cards for ATM

pomchop

Are there any non Thai USA type banks that allow u to take $$ from Thai ATMS with little or no fees?  I seem to recall a few several years ago that did that?  I would like to deposit $$ into usa bank and withdraw via atms in thailand as needed with minimal fees if that is possible.

I understand that now the Thai atm fee is about 200 baht and often add to that another fee from usa bank of another $5 or so...is that correct?

Thanks for first hand info...

The charge & reimbursement doesn't show on Fid accounts any more.

Was a bit strange, though not really.  If doing exchange rate for your 'withdrawal' vs 'fee', the bank to bank rate was always better ????

Maybe that's why they stopped posting on your account, as a bit embarrassing, knowing they charge themselves different rates, and for less amounts at that.

Pet peeves;

banks

insurance companies

govts

2 hours ago, setbkk said:

Charles Schwab and First Republic Bank. Probably many othrrs.

Just did charles Schwab...thanks.  So to be clear does that mean i can use most any atm in Thailand with zero fees?  That will save a few baht over time.

3 minutes ago, pomchop said:

Just did charles Schwab...thanks.  So to be clear does that mean i can use most any atm in Thailand with zero fees?  That will save a few baht over time.

Yes, as long as bank is assoc w/Visa or what ever icon on you card, and all seem to be.  My FID card works in all Thai ATMs, and never been charged a fee.  Buddy has CS, and also never been charged fees.

• Like 2

My old Credit Union had a credit card that incurred no fee's for any transaction including overseas.

I am not sure if there's any foreign card that doesn't attract the standard 220 baht ATM fee here in Thailand.

Some cards linked with investment and market accounts claim to refund "all fees" but it is unclear if that includes the standard 220 baht ATM fee here in Thailand.

• Confused 1

9 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

My old Credit Union had a credit card that incurred no fee's for any transaction including overseas.

I am not sure if there's any foreign card that doesn't attract the standard 220 baht ATM fee here in Thailand.

Some cards linked with investment and market accounts claim to refund "all fees" but it is unclear if that includes the standard 220 baht ATM fee here in Thailand.

That's what the topic is, NOT being charged/reimbursed for the 220 Thai bank fee.  Cards mentioned already, do NOT charge Thai bank use fee.  Though it does seem to be mostly USA financial institutions.

Any UK or EU 'branches' not charging ?

Edited by KhunLA

There is no way around the 220 Baht which is simply added to the withdrawal amount.

E.g. instead of 20000 the Thai bank charges 20220 to your card.

Reimbursement is the key word.

For my German bank they have stopped reimbursement for Thailand long ago.

2 hours ago, NanLaew said:

no fee's for any transaction including overseas.

That simply means that "your" bank does not charge a transaction fee in your currency.

Indeed applies to many banks/cards but no way to avoid the 220 Baht.

Rates is a separate topic.

Most cards will either be VISA or Mastercard which have their own exchange tables.

Not too bad but of course below the currency market rates.

Edited by KhunBENQ

2 hours ago, NanLaew said:

My credit card also has no fees for transactions (payments) overseas.

That makes it attractive for cashless payment compared to withdrawing money to pay cash.

Don't know whether there are still merchants who are frightened by foreign credit cards as they loose fees for the credit card company (just a shift from you to the merchant).

Offering you some discount on cash payment only?

2 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Any UK or EU 'branches' not charging ?

My German bank (DKB) stopped refunding foreign ATM fees. They absorb their own fees if the account is credited with a minimum of EUR 700 monthly. My Miles & More card also charges fees.

Fees fees fees. Endless fees. 

Edited by mvdf

I may have overlooked the answers but wasn't the OP asking about withdrawing USDs from ATMs? If so, I'm am not aware of any in Thailand. But I may have misread.... currently on my cell reading the posts. 

Edited by howlee101
Add
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, rwill said:

Schwab charges no fees and they also rebate you the Thai ATM fee instantly.  There is no limit to the rebate allowed per month like some other banks do.

Also add:  One thing with the Schwab debit card.  You can take out $1,000/day BUT only $500 at a time.  If you try and take out more than that they will lock your card until you contact them.  I found that out by accident the first time I used mine.

Just want to add:  Never take the exchange rate the ATM offers.  It is the biggest fee of all.  Always select 'continue without conversion' or whatever your bank says similar to that.

I always withdraw 20000 baht, which is currently around $570. So you can withdraw more than 500 each time.

44 minutes ago, kevin612 said:

By the way, aeon Is the best atm in Thailand , anyone else knows if other atm better than aeon?

What is so good with AEON these days?

Yes they have a fee of 150 as far as I remember.

But they limit withdraw to 20k even though the big ATMs could spend 100 notes.

That's 0.75%.

If you can withdraw 30k at another bank where is the difference?

220/30000 = 0.73%.

And there are ATMs that spend 50k (many or most Kasikorn).

Has someone tried ones luck?

(I have no need for foreign card withdrawal since long)

Edited by KhunBENQ

38 minutes ago, kevin612 said:

By the way, aeon Is the best atm in Thailand , anyone else knows if other atm better than aeon?

AEON is only 150 baht/withdrawal with foreign ATM card, which is the cheapest in Thailand except possibly using your CitiBank card at the CitiBank ATMs in Bangkok if you have a foreign CitiBank account.

1 hour ago, howlee101 said:

I may have overlooked the answers but wasn't the OP asking about withdrawing USDs from ATMs?

Sharp eye :biggrin: But I hope it's just lax "wording" ($$).

Otherwise can someone delete all my answers :biggrin:

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, rwill said:

One thing with the Schwab debit card.  You can take out $1,000/day BUT only $500 at a time.  If you try and take out more than that they will lock your card until you contact them.

I'm guessing it depends on the Bank ATM you are using.  The wife withdraws 20k baht (over $500) from Krung Thai and/or Thai Farmers bank ATMs without any issue. 

1 minute ago, tilac01 said:

I think you need a US address to open a Charles Schwab account or others in the US that don't charge a transaction fee.

Unless they changed their policy, your statement is true...guessing it's for regulatory reasons. Fortunately I use my daughter's address as my mailing address.  They have never asked about overseas transactions.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, tilac01 said:

I think you need a US address to open a Charles Schwab account or others in the US that don't charge a transaction fee.

Yes, but was able to open one from Thailand using a US virtual mailbox address (CMRA called Traveling Mailbox).  US citizen.  Schwab could have determined it was a Commercial Mail Receiving Agency rather than a residential address but they didn't investigate.  This was about 7 years ago.

Edited by skatewash

4 hours ago, rwill said:

Also add:  One thing with the Schwab debit card.  You can take out $1,000/day BUT only $500 at a time.  If you try and take out more than that they will lock your card until you contact them.  I found that out by accident the first time I used mine.

In my experience I am able to take up to $1,000 equivalent out of Krungsri Bank ATM (maximum of 30,000 baht) in a single withdrawal, so in my case that is my single withdrawal and daily withdrawal maximum with Schwab ATM Debit card.  This is the "High-yield" checking account.

48 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

What is so good with AEON these days?

Yes they have a fee of 150 as far as I remember.

But they limit withdraw to 20k even though the big ATMs could spend 100 notes.

That's 0.75%.

If you can withdraw 30k at another bank where is the difference?

220/30000 = 0.73%.

And there are ATMs that spend 50k (many or most Kasikorn).

Has someone tried ones luck?

(I have no need for foreign card withdrawal since long)

Interesting about Kasikorn dispersing up to 50k baht.  I haven't tried it.  Know that Krungsri Bank's limit per transaction is 30 bills or 30,000 baht and Bangkok Bank's is 25 bills or 25,000 baht.  Using the Charles Schwab card I have a per withdrawal/daily limit of $1,000 USD so wouldn't be able to take full advantage of the Kasikorn capacity unless there's a marked change in the USD-THB exchange rate. ???? 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, skatewash said:

Interesting about Kasikorn dispersing up to 50k baht. 

All I can say is that they clearly state it at some ATMs.

And I once tried 50k with my Kasikorn card and that worked.

Maybe they have an arbitrarily limit for foreign cards like AEON (20k).

Who knows?

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, howlee101 said:

I may have overlooked the answers but wasn't the OP asking about withdrawing USDs from ATMs? If so, I'm am not aware of any in Thailand. But I may have misread.... currently on my cell reading the posts. 

no i want to withdraw in baht in thailand from my usa bank account

• Like 2