Post-polio reconstructive surgery

arkarkark

Hello!

I have a friend from back home who had poliomyelitis at 3 months old. He is now 31 and bound to a wheelchair due to deformations in spine, knees and feet. 

Since the medical system back home is not so good, I wanted to bring him to Bangkok (and Thailand in general) to show to local doctors in hopes of reconstructive surgery.

Any recommendations will be much appreciated!

Thank you.

photo_2022-06-25_04-11-06.jpg

photo_2022-06-25_04-11-08.jpg

photo_2022-06-25_04-11-10.jpg

photo_2022-07-11_10-58-40.jpg

Edited by arkarkark

Unless your friend has a lot of money (as in, can afford well over US$10,000), I suggest you take him to Lerdsin Hospital (government hospital in Bangkok with strong ortho department). Go one a Monday morning very early and ask for the Spine clinic.

Even at government hospital this will not be cheap (as they will likely have to place titanium rods/screws etc that are imported - so probably at least several thousand dollars). 

In terms of medical  necessity  the deformities of the chest and spine need correction as, if not corrected, it will become progressively hard for this person to even sit up in a wheelchair and breathing may eventually be impacted. The deformities of the knees and feet are of less medical importance, assuming that he is in any event paraplegic. But see what the doctors say.

Yes, if you can afford that much then can use private hospital which will be much more convenient. I am away from my computer but will post specific recommendation this evening.

I don't think he is wheelchair bound due to the knee and foot deformities but rather the other way round, those deformities have occurred secondary to being wheelchair bound/unable to use the limbs. 

Surgery is not going to change that but correcting the chest and back deformities will forestall what will otherwise be future problems sitting up and, eventually, breathing and may make him more comfortable sitting in the chair. Anyway discuss with the surgeon on detail what can be expected from the surgery.

• 7 months later...

Here is an update. We ended up doing in Vejthani. They did a very good job on reconstructing the feet and our friend is already learning how to walk:

image.thumb.png.5e515effd580bb3e195651d1335914cb.png

image.thumb.png.190a4d4bd6fc0edfd796d97aee836ad9.png

It cost around 1.5 million baht. The chest part, however, they can't fix.

One negative problem that we encountered is that the antibiotics that they sell are extremely expensive. Our friend had a very strong infection which required a 3-month course of IV injections of a specific drug (Teicoplanin/Targocid) that the infection wasn't resistant too. With this hospital it would've cost around another 1.5 million THB.

After a few stressful weeks, we first found this drug in a government hospital (Ramathibodi) for about 4 times cheaper.

And then we ended up finding the drug in India (via Indiamart) for 10 times cheaper and had it shipped here via normal post.

Edited by arkarkark