Proposal would allow foreigners in Thailand to own 1 rai of land – but there’s a 40 million baht catch

webfact

6 minutes ago, Muhendis said:

The true test, as has been said before, is can your non-Thai kids inherit your land after you die.

I think that would probably be "no".

In those circumstances, I would imagine the land would need to be sold to a Thai at some knock down price or taken by a government agency to be sold at auction.

As some have said. It is a blatant attempt to relieve foreigners of their hard earned capital. 

What about teaching your non-Thai kids to work at home and earn their own money instead of simply inheriting it? 

• Sad 2

4 minutes ago, Isaan sailor said:

Darn!  I’ve invested all my life savings in Thailand—only amounting to 39 million Baht.  What shall I do now?

Make another million. No probs! ????

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

17 minutes ago, Bert got kinky said:

Maybe, but I did say 'trust absolute'

While that is no guarantee that your money is safe, I would rather risk my arm with a few million Baht to someone that I do trust absolute, rather than 40 million to an unstable and untrustworthy (allegedly) military government, who may not even be in the country by the time the three years is up.

My point is that you may trust her absolutely, but that is a far cry from her being deserving of it! I was having a discussion along those lines only yesterday.... elderly Western men seem to lose it when they are getting loving attention from a 25 year old! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Purdey said:

No mention of permanent residents, who do not need to transfer money from abroad.

Readers may be interested to look into usafruct agreements if you have a Thai spouse. I read abou it on this site many years ago. Buy in his/her name, sign an usufruct agreement and have full rights to live in and use the property for the rest of your life. More reasonable, I think.

I'd love to know more about this! 

• Like 1

Just now, Bert got kinky said:

Sorry but if you are an elderly man who has fallen head over heels with what is basically a child, then you deserve to be picked off. ????

Sort of like a 'Darwin Award' but without the dying part.

It does happen...... 

I knew one Thai lady, who was not a youngster but seemed to attract men quite well,  was on her 4th relationship where she had got money and property from men who simply let her control everything... Darwinism it might be, but my point about giving absolute trust too easily,  is the only comment I make. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

It does happen...... 

I knew one Thai lady, who was not a youngster but seemed to attract men quite well,  was on her 4th relationship where she had got money and property from men who simply let her control everything... Darwinism it might be, but my point about giving absolute trust too easily,  is the only comment I make. 

Sorry, not meaning to pick on your posts but there is a massive difference between giving absolute trust too easily and giving absolute trust to someone who has earned it.

Real trust HAS to be earned otherwise it is not trust but is in fact a pipe dream.

7 minutes ago, MrMuddle said:

I'd love to know more about this! 

I have a house under an usufruct so I can vouch for this. I suggest using the search function on this site using just one word, usufruct. I found 9 mentions. Try this first. 

• Like 1

If renewing the 40 million baht investment after the three year period is not a condition for continuing to own the land, many foreigners will be interested to see further details. If allowed to invest it in stocks or bonds, a 3 year period is quite short. And one rai of land is good enough for a nice house with a small garden and pool.

8 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

My point was simply that you are risking 1 million quid on the whim of the next general in the next coup ! Personally, I'd invest 1 million quid in a UK property and live in Thailand on the rental income - knowing I had somewhere to live if it goes bits up ! I prefer a plan to a risk.

Exactly what I did when coming here 8 years ago. A large appreciation in the capital value and a monthly rental of £4000 . No capital gains /IHT to worry about either when the missus eventually inherits it and can do what she likes with it.

6 minutes ago, saakura said:

one rai of land is good enough for a nice house with a small garden and pool.

And what about the fantastic neighbor's you can have in Thailand.

1 rai, is way to small to put any distance between you and  the anti social behavior of some Thai people.

No thank you.

Edited by Orinoco
  • Thanks 2