Proposal would allow foreigners in Thailand to own 1 rai of land – but there’s a 40 million baht catch

webfact

18 hours ago, Sir Dude said:

Bet the interior minister and his mates in government all have luxury apartments in London, NY, or Paris etc. Hypocrites.

A little bit OT but I still vividly remember meeting a friend of a friend during the Pheu Thai days and she was an estate agent in London. When I mentioned I was based over in LoS, she told me she had not long sold a London townhouse to a Thai government minister for several million pounds…

I am sure there are  a  lot of corporations with that much invested. Wonder if that counts.

Edited by garyk

10 hours ago, KIngsofisaan said:

Beware dimwits.

Who in the right mind marries someone undeserving?

I am sure they do not feel that way at the time of marriage.... it is what come later. 

10 hours ago, KIngsofisaan said:

You knew one Thai lady out of a Thai population of 66,000,000 and then you quote it as fact?

What a pathetic misrepresentation of what was said....

This one stood out particularly..... (in more ways than one), brought the police and a court order round and stripped a neighbour's house bare.... he didn't even have water when she was done. 

28 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

What a pathetic misrepresentation of what was said....

This one stood out particularly..... (in more ways than one), brought the police and a court order round and stripped a neighbour's house bare.... he didn't even have water when she was done. 

No misreprentation at all when you realize how many people live in Thailand.

Everyone in Thailand knows someone that did something, etc., etc., etc.

I knew a guy that could juggle beer bottles.

Only 1 though. You would think with 66,000,000 people, I would know more with this skill, but I do not.

1 minute ago, KIngsofisaan said:

No misreprentation at all when you realize how many people live in Thailand.

So did you recently join this Forum to simply troll or might you make contributions one day?

36 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

I am sure they do not feel that way at the time of marriage.... it is what come later. 

Only comes later to idiots who don't understand who they are getting married to or if they treat their wives like slaves.

Ask anyone married over 20 years how it works if you don't know or understand.

21 hours ago, jinners said:

why only rent in future? How long did you own and what problems did you come across?

I didn't make any money on the property, I probably broke even compared to renting. Meanwhile investing in property in other countries has seen good returns. I wouldn't put others off owning its just where I am personally renting would be my preferred choice going forward most likely. 

My 'too little too late' comment referred to the government offering schemes to foreigners to invest, whereas for me I wasn't allowed to buy in my name only my wife's name and its too late as she/we already sold. If I were able to obtain mortgages in my name (even after paying taxes in Thailand long term this wasn't an option for me as I didn't own the property), then we might have held onto it longer, maybe.

It wasn't even affordability, it was the fact I had limited options (and my wife had fewer financial options than I would be expected to have)

In addition to this, the point is foreigners have their hands tied when there is no need for this other than to disadvantage foreigners who have setup a life in Thailand.

Does this help? ????

Edited by NightSky
  • Like 1

On 7/13/2022 at 6:49 AM, Bert got kinky said:

Proposal would allow foreigners in Thailand to own 1 rai of land

Or just marry a Thai lady that you want to spend the rest of your life with and who you trust absolute.

"who you trust absolute.". That's the tricky bit.

Dang, I am getting all schemed  out. Kinda a schematic overload.

I think they should give us about a week or two break to get our tolerance back up to normal.

Then we can properly receive the next scheme.. 

So tired with this country, in Europe we let in just about anyone with sneakers a phone and a problematic religion, they will never be productive, never add anything to society, only use tax money and in return cause problems.

But here the expats come and bring money, want to settle here and spend their entire pensions and savings, all we want is a house on our name. So let's do that for exactly no one, because who wants to wait 3 years and invest 40 million to eventually be able to buy a house of 6-20 million. O dear, time for ummmm Spain.

Edit : by the way, i live here and have a house on a Thai company, yes it's possible but i want the same rights here as Thai's have with "us"  in the west.

Edited by WhatsNext

On 7/13/2022 at 9:12 PM, hotandsticky said:

You have a year - a pointless exercise IMO.

Far better to arrange a usufruct/superficary.

That may well be an option I'm have to look at. 

Having said that in the unlikely event my wife dies first I may want to shoebox more time in the UK where I have 2 granddaughters. In that case I might need some of the money from the sale of the house and land in Thailand. I trust my family but I'd just prefer having something I own. 

With all this stress I'll probably die of a heart attack first anyway.  ????