Thailand's misleading COVID numbers cast a shadow on reopening

anchadian

FRANCESCA REGALADO, Nikkei staff writerJuly 12, 2022 13:22 JST

BANGKOK -- Thailand enters a five-day weekend on Wednesday with doctors warning that a COVID surge and undercounted cases are belying the government's ambitious reopening scheme.

https://asia.nikkei.com/Spotlight/Coronavirus/Thailand-s-misleading-COVID-numbers-cast-a-shadow-on-reopening

• Haha 1

chances of getting omicron in thailand are still lower, than in europe, where the summer wave is raging already and will likely last for all summer.

all countries all under reporting, mainly to get tourism going. So understandable thailand will do it even more so.

many pcr testing sites scaled down or closed down. People are just doing cheap ATK tests and only when they have symptoms or somebody close by.

surely, there would be yet another wave in thailand (as it's in europe now), but not because of those 5 days holidays. Actually, not that great traffic on motorway yesterday and very light traffic today. It's raining almost constantly, people might travel, if some sunshine. Hotel prices on the beach constant low range 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Daily cases reported by Thailand's Center for COVID-19 Situation Administration are based on new hospital admissions, not positive tests. Cases found via home antigen test kits are tallied separately, sometimes double the official case count, and rely on self-reporting by patients recuperating at home.

Yes.

...restaurants and bars in Bangkok are operating to capacity.

Well, that could be a problem once the 'expected' millions of tourists return.

11 hours ago, anchadian said:

BANGKOK -- Thailand enters a five-day weekend on Wednesday with doctors warning that a COVID surge and undercounted cases are belying the government's ambitious reopening scheme.

Of course, like the rest of the world the idiots in charge of all the countries have seen the complete devastation the disease caused in the economies and now need get back on track as the deaths are just not worth the destruction and chaos. 

The human race is growing, not declining !

• Like 2

Tourists are expected to inject 1.27 trillion baht into an economy lol not if cases here are really 30,000 like they say, either they wont come or end up sick and head back home so just maybe they inject half of that but thru hospital fees and changing flights to leave early

On 7/13/2022 at 4:36 PM, Peterphuket said:

The problems about misleading covid numbers does not only exist in Thailand

Chairith Yonpiam wrote an opinion piece in today's Bangkok Post, very much saying what OP said

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Lorry said:

Chairith Yonpiam wrote an opinion piece in today's Bangkok Post, very much saying what OP said

Sorry if I have no idea of who CY is, and why we should listen to his opinion in matters of Covid. So I looked him up, found that he is a journalist not a virologist, and that his "opinion piece" is a sorry attempt to get some attention by mixing apples and oranges. Sad that you fall for that.

As for the OP, if you mean the Nikkei journalist, she has said absolutely nothing except repeating the rather obvious notion that there is a very large number of unreported infections that do not need to be treated.

I do not believe in the numbers.  Japan yesterday posted over 180,000 cases and 31,000 in Tokyo alone.  I am in Chiang Mai and I work out at a hotel gym and lately the bathroom and showers have not been cleaned.  It has been over a week since the showers and bathroom have been cleaned.  I told the Gym Manager and the hotel manager about this and I got the usual we will clean it.  As I was leaving the lobby of the hotel I overheard two employees talking and one mentioned “covid” several times.  It could be a case where the hotel is short of workers due to Covid?  

Doubt Thailand only has 2000 case per day?  

• Like 1

Several posts above has been removed for reasons including quoting foreign language news reports, being off-topic and misrepresenting a research study.

"3. English is the only permitted language anywhere on ASEAN NOW, except within the Thai language forum, where using Thai is allowed."

https://aseannow.com/terms/

On 7/13/2022 at 8:45 AM, Reposed said:

TAT: Amazing Thailand! Come visit us....and bring your money....high-class only. See you soon!

Tourist: I was going to come, but leading Thai doctors state you are undercounting your  covid cases. 

And in denial about Monkey pox too perhaps, so a potential double whammy

On 7/16/2022 at 9:54 PM, BangkokReady said:

If people aren't visiting Thailand, it isn't because of underreported covid numbers.

Agree.  Ever since the advent of ATK tests and omicron became the dominant strain people have failed to report infections in droves world wide.

People are visiting Thailand now. I have been back here for 2 months and the change has been enormous. On Saturday night Walking Street in Pattaya was packed and I see tourists everywhere in large numbers, not as many as pre-covid for sure but I'd be happier to see fewer of them. Most of the WS bars are open again, as are all the nightclubs.

Edited by ozimoron
  • Like 1