Query Re Multiple Entry Visas & 90 Day Periods

I am an Australian citizen & have a one-year non-immigrant B multiple entry visa for Thailand. (No work permit.)

As I understand it, I have to leave the country minimum every 90 days to get a stamp.

I have asked this question to my Thai lawyer, but can't seem to get it across because of the language difficulties:

On this type of visa, can I leave and re-enter Thailand as many times as I like during my one year? (E.g. ten times.)

Or once I have left & re-entered four times, does that mean my four 90-day periods are used up and the visa is finished?

Thanking you!

I am an Australian citizen & have a one-year non-immigrant B multiple entry visa for Thailand. (No work permit.)

As I understand it, I have to leave the country minimum every 90 days to get a stamp.

I have asked this question to my Thai lawyer, but can't seem to get it across because of the language difficulties:

On this type of visa, can I leave and re-enter Thailand as many times as I like during my one year? (E.g. ten times.)

Or once I have left & re-entered four times, does that mean my four 90-day periods are used up and the visa is finished?

Thanking you!

as many times as you want until day 364 ...

then if you re-enter on day 364 you get another 90 days ... but if you leave after that to keep that 90 days active yu need a re-entry permit

Thanking you!

As I understand it your multi-entry visa gives you a maximum of 90 days in Thailand each time you enter the country, you can leave and re-enter as many times as you wish while the visa remains valid and each time you enter you will get a 90 day stamp. Also if you leave and then return just before the visa is due to expire you will receive a futher 90 day entry stamp which will give you almost 15 months in Thailand with the one visa. :o

No your time is not finished . You have got a multiple, that means a non limit travel out-and in of Thailand. When you enter just before the expiry date (of your visa) , you will be given another extra 90 days ,for free . This for the Non O ,I assume it is the same for the Non B .

So there is nothing to worrie about .

Just one other thing , is "day 364 " timed from the date the issue date of the visa in your passport , or from the date you first clear immigration on entry to Thailand ? I heard some query about this and wondered if anybody can clarify.

I am coming back to LOS in Oct with a new multi-O from Hull, UK. Thks everybody.

A one year multi entry visa is dated from day of issue. Issued 15 Oct 2000 valid until 14 Oct 2001.

If you later obtain a one years extension of stay from Immigration on a 90 day entry of that visa the date would start on date of arrival on that entry. Arrived 18 Oct 2000 - apply for extension 20 Dec 2000 - receive extension of stay until 17 Oct 2001

I intend to use the 1 year multiple entry visa when I retire. My Thai wife who is now an Australian citizen will use the 1 year family visa as a former Thai national. We are both over 50, but would prefer to go this route rather than the retirement visa as I want to retain strong residental links with Australia for Medicare and aged pension prorata qualifications for my wife.

I understand that I will be required to leave the country at least every 90 days. And I will need to get a re-entry permit before leaving so as not to void my 1 year visa.

I have 2 questions here.

1. Will the same conditions apply to my wife re having to exit the country every 90 days? and

2. Will a quick trip over the border into Laos or Cambodia and return straight away same day be sufficient to qualify for the 90 day exit and re-entry requirement?

We will be returning to Australia for at least a few months every year so will reapply for annual visas while in Australia.

I intend to use the 1 year multiple entry visa when I retire. My Thai wife who is now an Australian citizen will use the 1 year family visa as a former Thai national. We are both over 50, but would prefer to go this route rather than the retirement visa as I want to retain strong residental links with Australia for Medicare and aged pension prorata qualifications for my wife.

I understand that I will be required to leave the country at least every 90 days. And I will need to get a re-entry permit before leaving so as not to void my 1 year visa.

I have 2 questions here.

1. Will the same conditions apply to my wife re having to exit the country every 90 days? and

2. Will a quick trip over the border into Laos or Cambodia and return straight away same day be sufficient to qualify for the 90 day exit and re-entry requirement?

We will be returning to Australia for at least a few months every year so will reapply for annual visas while in Australia.

Sorry ... but you misunderstand regarding yourself

IF you have a multi-entry visa then you do not need a re-entry stamp (you can come and go as often as you want through day 364 but can stay in the country a max of 90 days at a time)

I am not sure which visa you are referring to for your wife.

edit: your wife should not have too much of a problem getting back a Thai passport .. and thus would not need a visa

Edited by jdinasia

I have 2 questions here.

IF you have a multi-entry visa then you do not need a re-entry stamp (you can come and go as often as you want through day 364 but can stay in the country a max of 90 days at a time)

edit: your wife should not have too much of a problem getting back a Thai passport .. and thus would not need a visa

I was of the understanding that the 90 day rule meant you had to exit and re-enter the country at least every 90 days on a 1 year multiple entry visa, and get a stamp in your passport to proove it?

My wife could get a Thai passport pretty easy, but the thing that worries me is that we could end up in a real mess trying to explain why the Thai passport only has entry stamps with no evidence of exit from Thailand. As she couldnt use her Thai passport to re-enter Australia. Its all a bit of a headache trying to juggle the dual citizenship thing. I believe the Aussie government has a fairly lenient veiw on it but the Thai government will not accept it.

I have 2 questions here.

I was of the understanding that the 90 day rule meant you had to exit and re-enter the country at least every 90 days on a 1 year multiple entry visa, and get a stamp in your passport to proove it?

My wife could get a Thai passport pretty easy, but the thing that worries me is that we could end up in a real mess trying to explain why the Thai passport only has entry stamps with no evidence of exit from Thailand. As she couldnt use her Thai passport to re-enter Australia. Its all a bit of a headache trying to juggle the dual citizenship thing. I believe the Aussie government has a fairly lenient veiw on it but the Thai government will not accept it.

see the part of your first comment I hi-lighted with bold ... no re-entry permit required .. come and go as you like on a 90 day max stay as I said (through day 364- if you return on day 364 you get yet another 90 days but WOULD need a re-entry permit if you left and planned on retirning after that and still within those 90 days you were given on day 364)

There is no problems with a Thai National carrying 2 passports and only using the Thai passport for Thailand (entry and exit. She would enter and exit Thailand on the Thai passport and everywhere else on the Australian passport.

You have to leave every 90 day or less with a multi entry visa but you do not want or need a re-entry permit - that is only used to keep alive your current permitted to stay until stamp - you will be leaving and obtaining a new 90 day permitted to stay until stamp.

For you wife it is up to her but it is not a problem to use her Thai passport to enter and exit Thailand and her Oz passport for that country. When checking in for flight you show airline both passports so they know she does not need a visa for Oz.

But she can also, with proof of Thai nationality, easily obtain one year extensions of stay from Immigration for 1,900 baht each year and she will not have to exit country after that (but would need a re-entry permit if she did).

Thank you gentlemen for your advice.

My mistake about the re-entry permit requirement for 1 year multiple entry visa. As pointed out, the re-entry permit only applies if on an extension of a multiple entry visa. So many rules and regulations to get my head around.

I am pretty happy that I have my own visa options sorted out, -- that being a one year multiple entry visa renewed annually in Australia. Which brings me back to one of my origional questions. For my intermediate 90 day exit and re-entry requirements, -- is it OK to just go into Laos or Cambodia, pass through their immigration checkpoint and get a stamp in my passport, then turn straight around again and go back out to Thailand again?

Re my wife's situation, I am still a little confused. If she juggles passports, -- like using her Aussie passport to leave Thailand and enter Australia, and then, using her Thai passport to leave Australia and enter Thailand. I am a little aprehensive that it could cause some problems.

My mistake about the re-entry permit requirement for 1 year multiple entry visa. As pointed out, the re-entry permit only applies if on an extension of a multiple entry visa. So many rules and regulations to get my head around.

I am pretty happy that I have my own visa options sorted out, -- that being a one year multiple entry visa renewed annually in Australia. Which brings me back to one of my origional questions. For my intermediate 90 day exit and re-entry requirements, -- is it OK to just go into Laos or Cambodia, pass through their immigration checkpoint and get a stamp in my passport, then turn straight around again and go back out to Thailand again?

Re my wife's situation, I am still a little confused. If she juggles passports, -- like using her Aussie passport to leave Thailand and enter Australia, and then, using her Thai passport to leave Australia and enter Thailand. I am a little aprehensive that it could cause some problems.

Ando ... read it again ........

enter and exit on the same passport only.

Enter/exit Thailand on a Thai passport

Enter/Exit Oz on an Oz passport

Aussies can stay forever on an Oz passport in Australia

Thais can stay forever on a Thai passport in Thailand

Edited by jdinasia

On the crossing and return - yes, you can just enter another country and turn around and return. Some, like Cambodia, may place a small off the books surcharge for doing so. Best to use a visa service to that border until you know the ropes I suspect.

Ando ... read it again ........

enter and exit on the same passport only.

Enter/exit Thailand on a Thai passport

Enter/Exit Oz on an Oz passport

Aussies can stay forever on an Oz passport in Australia

Thais can stay forever on a Thai passport in Thailand

I know what you are saying. And it sounds fine in theory, but before we go down that path I would like to know if it works in practice. Staying forever in either country is not a problem for my wife, it is the regular movement between countries that is at question. Are there any other menbers here whose wives use dual passports alternately to move between countries? I know Thailand doesnt recognize dual citizenship.

Are there any other menbers here whose wives use dual passports alternately to move between countries? I know Thailand doesnt recognize dual citizenship.

There are several dual-citizen members, most don't seem to have problems using two passports and switching in the air.

Note, swapping passport at land borders is more problematic (not possible).

On the crossing and return - yes, you can just enter another country and turn around and return. Some, like Cambodia, may place a small off the books surcharge for doing so. Best to use a visa service to that border until you know the ropes I suspect.

Thankyou Lopburi3. As I we have Thai family in Chanthaburi near the Cambodian border and in Chaiyaphum up towards the Lao border it should make life a lot easier. I was dreading the prospect of having to spend a couple of days in a foreign environment and having to stand in line every 90 days. A quick day shopping trip over the border sounds like a lot more fun.

Are there any other menbers here whose wives use dual passports alternately to move between countries? I know Thailand doesnt recognize dual citizenship.

There are several dual-citizen members, most don't seem to have problems using two passports and switching in the air.

Thanks. The picture is starting to become a bit clearer for me now.

I still have doubts about the dual citizenship issue though. I suspect the members you know with dual citizenship only have dual citizenship as long as the Thai immigration authorities dont know about it.

Thanks. The picture is starting to become a bit clearer for me now.

I still have doubts about the dual citizenship issue though. I suspect the members you know with dual citizenship only have dual citizenship as long as the Thai immigration authorities dont know about it.

Naaaaa

I have a good friend (USA Cit. ... USA Passport: Thai by birth but raised in the US after he was 9) living in the EU that got his Thai passport issued last year with no problems. When asked once why he had no stamps other than Thailand in his passport he just replied. "I enter and exit all other places with my US passport" End of story

Thailand is like the USA in that dual nationality is not officially recognized in laws. But just like the USA there is no law that prevents it. You may have a lower level official say no - it can't be done - but in every case we have seen talked about here (and there have been many) if you move politely up the ladder it is accepted to stamp in using the Thai passport. Once this is done one time there should not be any further problems as she would always have the arrival/departure card from her last exit so they know she can use her Thai passport.

But if you (she) are not comfortable doing this the extension of stay is easy for her if she does not want to make the border runs.

quote]

I dont understand what you say. If she comes in on her thai pp she must leave on her thai PP

Who e ver told you the thai goverment does not accept dual citizenship? Many thai's liivng down south have Malay and thai pp.

My daughter holds a thai passport and an American passport,

She enters thailand on her Thai pp and leaves Thailand on the same.

When she arrives anywhere else she uses her us passport. This is common for many of my friends with dual pp as well

A one year multi entry visa is dated from day of issue. Issued 15 Oct 2000 valid until 14 Oct 2001.

If you later obtain a one years extension of stay from Immigration on a 90 day entry of that visa the date would start on date of arrival on that entry. Arrived 18 Oct 2000 - apply for extension 20 Dec 2000 - receive extension of stay until 17 Oct 2001

I have a one year Non-Imm B, how do you get a one year extension as you describe above? I know how to get the extra 90 days. Also, what do I do when the extra 90 days are done? Reapply for a new Non-B and work permit? I own my own company.

Thanks.

ANDO,

Dunno about OZ immigration, but NZ immigration DO NOT stamp NZ national's passports entering or leaving NZ. That means I could arrive in any country without a stamp saying from whence I came. A new passport, completely devoid of any stamps. Travelling often, I have never had any questions asked. The relevant immingrations know where you originated by your filling in the arrival caeds.

Just use woteva passport suits the country, that is one that has least restrictions.

Don't worry mate.

Enjoy Thailand like I do, with my Thai partner.

Cheers

Kiwi Pete.

I have a one year Non-Imm B, how do you get a one year extension as you describe above? I know how to get the extra 90 days. Also, what do I do when the extra 90 days are done? Reapply for a new Non-B and work permit? I own my own company.

Thanks.

Not sure if you have a work permit now or not but your company will have to have income and support the extension of stay process and I would highly recommend you have a legal firm help in that process as there are a lot of documents and such. A visit to local immigration would probably get you a list but it is not something I would be doing on my own.

The way my 1 year multiple-entry B-1 visa works is I can leave and re-enter as many times as I want during that 1 periiod. But, I MUST leave before the date on each new new date stamp received at re-entry into Thailand. Bottom line, you can't stay more than 90 days from each date stamp (or more than 90 days from when the visa was first issued). Also, I had to have a work permit to get the 1 year multiple entry B-1. Not sure how you guys got the 1 year ME without the work permit, but more power to you. I can't wait until I turn 50 in 18 months time and get the retirement visa. Much less headaches and expense!

Thanks.

Not sure if you have a work permit now or not but your company will have to have income and support the extension of stay process and I would highly recommend you have a legal firm help in that process as there are a lot of documents and such. A visit to local immigration would probably get you a list but it is not something I would be doing on my own.

Yes, I have a work permit now. It and the visa expires in a few months and of course I want to stay in Thailand. Although the actual business that I had initially when I opened the business is now gone, the business still exists on paper. We haven't paid taxes or anything "business related" in over a year but I want to keep the business "going on paper" so that I can keep a way to stay in Thailand. I am doing other things now that a work permit would help me stay legitimate which is what I want. My lawyer says if I pay them to do a balance sheet (15k) then I can keep the business going no problem. And then I am assuming I can get another 1 year non-b. Does this all sound right? Should I just let it all expire and go back to a tourist visa? As I said, I do not want to leave Thailand.