I've been wondering....radio over internet.

thoengthaied

I normally leave my laptop, which is a chromebook, switched on all day, then shut it down at bedtime and reboot it in the morning. I listen to the radio (normally Fabulous 103 FM) and have it playing on my laptop thus providing background music in my condo all day. Even if I go out I leave it playing thinking it might create some security by thieves hearing it and thinking twice about invading. But I've been wondering if leaving the radio app playing uses extra electricity and is more costly than just leaving the laptop switched on and not having any apps or websites active? Regards, thoengthaied.

Edited by thoengthaied

Depends on which chromebook model and how much actual work it's doing in the background, but you're looking a pretty much worst case scenario of 900 baht a year if it's a less efficient model and you're really riding it hard. Newer more efficient models or lower work loads maybe 150 baht a year. Easiest way to find out for sure is to get something like a kill-a-watt meter, run your laptop off it for awhile to establish a rough average power draw and then do the math.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I can’t imagine the miniscule amount of electricity this would use. Leaving an electric fan running will not result in appreciably higher electric bills,so I would think that using a radio app on your laptop would not put any kind of a dent in your power usage.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1