Young doctor "with a bright future" drowns at Suan Son beach in Rayong

webfact

image.jpeg

Daily News Thai Caption: Male doctor dead

Daily News reported that a young doctor with a long bright future ahead of him drowned yesterday at Suan Son beach in Rayong.

Friends said he had just arrived at the beach a few hours prior in a Porsche. 

Lt-Col Sakon Khamyingyong of the Phe (Ban Phe) police and rescue services were alerted and when they arrived the doctor had already been dragged out of the waves by friends.

He was unconscious and given CPR for ten minutes before being taken to Rayong Hospital where he was confirmed dead.

Friends said he was a doctor at a hospital in Samut Prakan and that he had entered the water with them.

The friends had all exited the sea leaving him alone when a large wave swept him out. When they reached him he was already unconscious. 

Police have informed relatives of the tragedy. 

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-07-14

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information
  • Sad 5

For the last twenty-years I've had a premonition I would die in the ocean.   I "almost" (young kid) was swept away by a large wave on a boat, but I jumped into the stairwell as the wave hit.    Behind me was only a rope to stop me from going out to sea.........

Water.......nothing is more powerful.    

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

every time a death like this, i don't understand why people die, because they don't know how to swim or the wave keep pushing them down, what is the cause of these death, surely a person that know how to swim wouldn't drown in any circumstance would they.

5 hours ago, vinci said:

every time a death like this, i don't understand why people die, because they don't know how to swim or the wave keep pushing them down, what is the cause of these death, surely a person that know how to swim wouldn't drown in any circumstance would they.

For sure there is some heavy surf along that part of the coast. A fishing boat was hit by wave and capsized off Trat. The report says the doctor was washed out by a large wave and that the friends dragged him out of the surf. This suggests it was just the backwash from a large wave that got him: If it was an organized rip tide he would have been carried out bound at least 25 meters and not in a position for the friends to drag him out of the surf. So yes it seems he was not an ocean swimmer at all .And probably did not have the basic experience to just dive under the wave. Instead the wave hit him and put him under some whitewater. Then as he was being rolled he took on some water. Next the normal backwash from the wave running up the beach could  have rolled him back out where he also took on more water. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Iamfalang said:

For the last twenty-years I've had a premonition I would die in the ocean.   I "almost" (young kid) was swept away by a large wave on a boat, but I jumped into the stairwell as the wave hit.    Behind me was only a rope to stop me from going out to sea.........

A tongue lashing from my missus?

• Like 1

21 hours ago, webfact said:

Friends said he had just arrived at the beach a few hours prior in a Porsche

Are they suggesting that the fact they mentioned the Porsche that it was a contributary factor to his death ?  As a side note I thought junior doctors were not that well paid in Thailand. Drowning must be a horrible way to die, RIP to him anyway.

1 hour ago, Excel said:

Are they suggesting that the fact they mentioned the Porsche that it was a contributary factor to his death ?  As a side note I thought junior doctors were not that well paid in Thailand. Drowning must be a horrible way to die, RIP to him anyway.

I think the "Porsche" reference denotes that if he'd been a poor person, his death might not have made the news..

I was at the next beach (Mae Ramphung) to where this guy drowned on Wednesday (a Thai Buddhist Holiday) with my family.

The waves were pretty strong, and a lot of people came there to surf. There were no flags, warning signs, or lifeguards on the beach at all. Lots of signs with "No alcohol" though. Go figure..

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, huangnon said:

I think the "Porsche" reference denotes that if he'd been a poor person, his death might not have made the news..

I was at the next beach (Mae Ramphung) to where this guy drowned on Wednesday (a Thai Buddhist Holiday) with my family.

The waves were pretty strong, and a lot of people came there to surf. There were no flags, warning signs, or lifeguards on the beach at all. Lots of signs with "No alcohol" though. Go figure..

Yes one would have thought that a Thai, an intelligent one at that ( well as a doctor ), would have been more safety conscience. Whist there may have been signs for no alcohol, whenever has that deterred Thais from drinking if they so decide to do so ? Or in fact the wealthy ones partying with their pals from taking drugs ? Not saying that this doctor was taking either, but just an example that signs will not stop people doing stupid things if they choose to do so, especially in Thailand irrelevant of their wealth.

2 hours ago, Excel said:

Are they suggesting that the fact they mentioned the Porsche that it was a contributary factor to his death ?

No, but it tells readers that he was a good person, as karma had meant well for him (so far)... ????

Edited by StayinThailand2much

On 7/14/2022 at 9:10 AM, Iamfalang said:

Three times in my long life, I have had near death experiences, always in the sea or ocean.   And I am a good swimmer!  Yes, water is very powerful, in certain conditions.

I must be missing something here because I live not too far from "Suan Son Beach" and the surf here is pretty tame. In fact, the surfing here is generally not very good---though my son said that he was able to catch some fairly decent waves yesterday on his board at Mae Ram Phueng Beach. So, I fear the good doctor may have been a poor swimmer with little experience in the surf.

• Like 1