Helping a Thai learn English - What online course/resource do you recommend?

JimmyJ

1. Youtube channel ThaiPod101. ( I have no connection)

2. AUA online texts. There are many others, this is the university course I studied long before the internet was a thing.

3. School books online. Search for grade 1 and 2 reading.

4. Good books, the actual book with paper pages, are still very good for language learning. I can't really say why, maybe just the way my brain works. If in the US, try to find this book on Amazon. I bought the last edition in 1984. No longer in print but probably the best text you'll ever find.

https://books.google.co.th/books/about/The_Fundamentals_of_the_Thai_Language.html?id=KWVkAAAAMAAJ&redir_esc=y

note: Learn to read Thai first before trying to learn to speak it. Thank me later.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

15 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

1. Youtube channel ThaiPod101. ( I have no connection)

2. AUA online texts. There are many others, this is the university course I studied long before the internet was a thing.

3. School books online. Search for grade 1 and 2 reading.

4. Good books, the actual book with paper pages, are still very good for language learning. I can't really say why, maybe just the way my brain works. If in the US, try to find this book on Amazon. I bought the last edition in 1984. No longer in print but probably the best text you'll ever find.

https://books.google.co.th/books/about/The_Fundamentals_of_the_Thai_Language.html?id=KWVkAAAAMAAJ&redir_esc=y

note: Learn to read Thai first before trying to learn to speak it. Thank me later.

Thanks for the info - I started a thread a few months ago looking for live teachers in Chiang Mai to teach me Thai language, but didn't find anyone yet - will look into your suggestions.

But this thread is the opposite - I want to help a Thai friend learn to read and write English, and am looking for an online course to use.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, JimmyJ said:

Thanks for the info - I started a thread a few months ago looking for live teachers in Chiang Mai to teach me Thai language, but didn't find anyone yet - will look into your suggestions.

But this thread is the opposite - I want to help a Thai friend learn to read and write English, and am looking for an online course to use.

still AUA

• Like 1

JimmyJ, tell them to download the Duolingo App for free to supplement his / her learning. Your friend might even try to use it exclusively as it can be quite fun / addictive to 'play'. It's probably as complete a resource as you can get to practicing all four communicative skills on a phone.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 7/19/2022 at 1:38 PM, Atlantis said:

JimmyJ, tell them to download the Duolingo App for free to supplement his / her learning.

Duolingo is really useful when you’re first starting a language because of how accessible and gamified it is.

Also I'd add:
Memrise
Breaking News English
TED Talks
YouTube

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

Learn thai the rapid method. I have learnt to read in 2 months mostly self-taught, now i'm having private tuition with erin on zoom to build a vocabulary this is extremely difficult tho and will be a long process and has cost a fair amount of money. I'm also using a tutor on preply and I am very slowly reading danbrowns inferno translated into thai with him. They also hold group classes in chiang mai.