Chinese citizen applying for Thai tourist visa outside of China

Hello,

My Chinese friend is currently in the USA on a tourist visa (B-1, B-2) and she'd like to visit Thailand for ~60 days. I've heard that some Thai embassies refuse to issue visas to non-residents (never met such requirement in person though, had my visas issued in Australia, Malaysia and some other places, w/o being a resident there). 

Given that, she probably cannot apply for a tourist visa while in the US, what are other options for my friend to enter Thailand? On a 14-day stamp for Chinese tourist for example, and apply for some extension here? She's with money and quite old, so can apply for a retirement extension as well.

Thank you in advance. 

Edited by andreww

China is on the list of countries that can only apply for a visa in their home country.

The embassy website states this for tourist visa application.

"For non-US citizens
– a copy of the permanent resident alien card or a copy of valid US visa
–  a letter proof of employment ( **we don’t accept pay stubs**) or a letter proof of full-time student status. For self-employed, business license or business registration indicating the applicant’s name."

Source: https://thaiembdc.org/2020/11/05/trsingle_entry/

• Like 1

It would be worth trying to apply for a tourist visa through the e-visa system. Especially given the quarantine requirements for journeys through China, I think the embassy in China is very likely to accept applications coming from outside the country.

• Like 1

Thai Embassy in China requires my friend to book a hotel for whole 2 months while she's in Thailand even though she owns an apartment to stay here! Are there any grounds for such requirement? 

Edited by andreww

4 minutes ago, andreww said:

Thai Embassy in China requires my friend to book a hotel for whole 2 months while she's in Thailand even though she owns an apartment to stay here! Are there any grounds for such requirement? 

They should accept proof she owns a apartment instead of a hotel reservation.

• Like 1

From personal experience, the Royal Thai embassy in Beijing is very hard to do business with.  Avoid it if at all possible.  There are Thai consulates in other Chinese cities (Shanghai, Xian, Guangzhou, etc.) that you may be able to work with instead.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, swerve said:

From personal experience, the Royal Thai embassy in Beijing is very hard to do business with.  Avoid it if at all possible.  There are Thai consulates in other Chinese cities (Shanghai, Xian, Guangzhou, etc.) that you may be able to work with instead.

These days, with the e-visa system, I suspect, when applying in China, you have no control over where the application is processed. Does anyone know different?

22 minutes ago, mvdf said:

Or consider flying to Phnom Penh first where Cambodian visa procedures for Chinese are more relaxed. Then arrange a Thai visa locally via an agent.  

You are not correct. 

"3. Requirements for passport holders of People's Republic of China

3.1 For short term travel to Thailand of less than 90 days (tourism, work meetings, short courses)

Applicants should provide proof of residence, such as Cambodian visas, Cambodian work permit, proof of long-term accommodation, work contract, school/university confirmation of enrolment, immigration stamps showing applicant has been in Cambodia for the majority of the past 6 months and plans to return to Cambodia after leaving Thailand. Application consideration will take at least 3 working days: 

3.2 For those intending to stay in Thailand for longer than 90 days (taking up employment, school/university students, Thai family)

All applications (regardless of residency) will be subject to approval from Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Thailand, which takes at least one month."

Source: https://phnompenh.thaiembassy.org/en/publicservice/additional-documents-required-for-citizens-from-certain-countries?page=5d73b14415e39c46f40076a1&menu=5d73b14415e39c46f40076a2

31 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You are not correct. 

"3. Requirements for passport holders of People's Republic of China

3.1 For short term travel to Thailand of less than 90 days (tourism, work meetings, short courses)

Applicants should provide proof of residence, such as Cambodian visas, Cambodian work permit, proof of long-term accommodation, work contract, school/university confirmation of enrolment, immigration stamps showing applicant has been in Cambodia for the majority of the past 6 months and plans to return to Cambodia after leaving Thailand. Application consideration will take at least 3 working days: 

3.2 For those intending to stay in Thailand for longer than 90 days (taking up employment, school/university students, Thai family)

All applications (regardless of residency) will be subject to approval from Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Thailand, which takes at least one month."

Source: https://phnompenh.thaiembassy.org/en/publicservice/additional-documents-required-for-citizens-from-certain-countries?page=5d73b14415e39c46f40076a1&menu=5d73b14415e39c46f40076a2

It was just a point of thought. Not something over-dramatic such as Ph.D. dissertation requiring a scientifically clinical "no, you are not correct". If the Thai Embassy in Phnom Penh imposes such requirements, then such is the rule and my suggestion should be disregarded. I neither implied nor asserted that I'm correct. 

Edited by mvdf