40% of LGBTQ Adults Do Not Feel Safe on Social Media, GLAAD Survey Finds

Scott

40% of LGBTQ Adults Do Not Feel Safe on Social Media, GLAAD Survey Finds

23c34da0ad7a3b703491cd25934efdec

Advocacy group GLAAD issued new data finding that five major social media platforms — Facebook, Instagram, TikTok, Twitter and YouTube — each fail to provide adequate policies to protect LGBTQ users’ safety, privacy and expression.

GLAAD’s second annual Social Media Safety Index, released Wednesday, introduced a new Platform Scorecard analyzing LGBTQ user safety across the five platforms based on a proprietary scoring system. All five had scores under 50 out of 100.

About 40% of all LGBTQ adults — and 49% of transgender and nonbinary people — do not feel welcomed and safe on social media, according to newly released findings from a May 2022 survey GLAAD conducted with Community Marketing & Insights.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/40-lgbtq-adults-not-feel-143029956.html

File:Yahoo! (2019).svg - Wikimedia Commons

• Sad 1

Well, I look at youtube  a lot but I don't have a channel there. I have definitely noticed on any topic with anything gay there is always scads of extremely hostile anti-gay hate speech in the comments. It happens on this forum too but there it's even worse. I would probably appreciate if youtube deleted the most atrocious comments but I haven't noticed that they do. I do also comment so in those cases the hate speech is directed at me personally. But, does that make me feel unsafe? Not really. They are from anonymous people. They aren't jumping out from the computer. I already know that vicious homophobia exists in every country and it is widespread so being reminded of that constantly on youtube and here doesn't really make me feel worse about that problem because it is not news.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Definitely need thick skin on the internet.  People will say anything since not face to face.

18 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I have definitely noticed on any topic with anything gay there is always scads of extremely hostile anti-gay hate speech in the comments.

Yep ... I notice the same Anti - Yank - white - male - Atheist - free thinker - gun owner - assumed Republican(I don't vote) - anti vax'er / mask, even being an EV owner gets you abused verbally.   It's a horrible existence being different, or just expressing yourself.

Probably more so when screaming for attention.  

Just untwist your knickers and just keep on keeping on.

Edited by KhunLA

9 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I wonder what youtube's policy is on severe anti-gay speech. Allowed or not? For example camments like all gay people should be murdered (yes I've seen those). 

Probably the same as on here, when people say anti vax'er or unmask folks should be killed, since equating us to murderers.   If not reported, nobody cares, about us 'uneducated, inconsiderate, selfish awholes", and that's just some of the kinder things I've been called. 

Mods can't be everywhere.  They got better things to do than babysit.

They (offended ones) could just change the channel, like we all do, instead of crying about it.

That gets a little tiresome also.  Use the ignore & block features so many / all apps have.

57 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Definitely need thick skin on the internet.  People will say anything since not face to face.

Yep ... I notice the same Anti - Yank - white - male - Atheist - free thinker - gun owner - assumed Republican(I don't vote) - anti vax'er / mask, even being an EV owner gets you abused verbally.   It's a horrible existence being different, or just expressing yourself.

Probably more so when screaming for attention.  

Just untwist your knickers and just keep on keeping on.

You know that people aren't going to take you seriously when you try to claim the mantle of free thinker and suggest that anyone who disagrees with you, or agrees with scientists and medical experts is not a free thinker.

And yes, to be absolutely clear, I think those who refuse to wear masks when recommended or required and refuse to get a vaccine without proper medical reasons are murderers. That people die as a result is demonstrably the case.

2 hours ago, ozimoron said:

You know that people aren't going to take you seriously when you try to claim the mantle of free thinker and suggest that anyone who disagrees with you, or agrees with scientists and medical experts is not a free thinker.

And yes, to be absolutely clear, I think those who refuse to wear masks when recommended or required and refuse to get a vaccine without proper medical reasons are murderers. That people die as a result is demonstrably the case.

That's one opinion, and unlike you, I can agree to disagree, or simply consider the source, depending on mood.

Have a nice night 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The concern about safety could be problematic. True moderators can’t catch everything. I think just the word “safety” might be a misnomer. If you are potentially being driven to suicide is that a “safety” issue? No they didn’t leap out of the screen and bludgeon you with a lead pipe. But they may have made you feel insecure. Plus many friends Facebook (or other media sites) could be actual people you know. Even those who aren’t friends who just see your page and do some response. A fear factor definitely comes into it when they are anonymous. What if they are people you know and they are hiding behind anonymity? What if they really want to harm you or make life difficult for you? What if you are, in your real life potentially in danger for being homosexual and these people do postings that even if you erase them could promulgate all over the place, essentially outing you? Yes you are right that no one has to use social platforms, but what if that is their only real socialization possibility with other gays? Palestine, other Middle East countries, and China come to mind. What people say online can and does have real-life consequences. As an example:

I had a young man staying with me when his mother abandoned him while he was still in High School. One day there was a knocking on the door. It was the police. A friend of his in real life (who was accused of a crime) was tracked through social media as having at some time posted to this young man. They came to the door with copies of his Facebook stuff and wanted to question him about the whereabouts of his friend. They told me and the young man the crime his friend was accused of and wanted to take the young man to the police station for questioning.

It was a scary situation. Just because WE think we are anonymous does not necessarily mean we are. People may actually know who you are and they may have the desire and means to hurt you physically, mentally, financially. What they post could be a shot over the bow and if they are not stopped it could be worse.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Which is why I never reveal any information that will identify me.

There's a lot of nutters out there looking to hate on someone. 

I'm an open book, and it really wouldn't take much, if paying attention, to knock on my door.  Though I highly wouldn't recommend it, unless you had all your affairs in order. ????

Local forum elsewhere, I had a few flat out threats, or implied they like to meet.  I gave them my address ... ????    No takers ... big surprise.

I find it easy to ignore people in my 'maturing' age.

Maybe some people don’t feel fear for whatever reason, and to be honest I don’t fear what might be out there. I’m like you KhunLA, Bring it if you’ve got it. I’m 55, 235 lbs., 6’2, retired, Own 2 houses in the United States and bought my manfriend (soon to be husband I hope) his house in Udon Thani. What do I have to lose to them. The study, such as it is is saying that only 40% of LGBTQI+ feel the fear.  It is also a limited number of responses from a limited number of countries. That means 60% can shrug it off for whatever reason. Only saying potential for danger is real. You acknowledge that in your responses. Even with different ways of dealing with it. But how many of those 40% are in our positions? I’m simply saying threats should be cut off at the knees.

How insecure do you have to be, to 'fear' words on a device.

Common sense (which I lack some times) dictates you don't put personal info, photos, address, maps, phone #s, even emails in the public eye.

I've posted photos of self and area, so easy enough to find, if really wanting.  Same as I've posted screenshots of maps, and since having pins, I didn't 'shop' out, how hard to find those points with a few keystrokes.

Most don't or wouldn't do what I've done, and I don't do as much as I used to.  But if replying to something, I'll post what I know, which may include a photo or screenshot, and or a shot of something for 'comic relief', which again, may include me or more info that should really be shared.  I don't give a sh!t ... no worries.

I use to use my real, legal name on forums and sites I started or posted to, as easiest to remember.  Then realized I was way to google-able, and all over the place.  Now decade or more later, and I don't show up on google at all.  Still use my first name, and an occasional photo of myself.

You do control all data and how it's shared on the internet, and if it scares you, don't participate.   FB is a big door to your life, especially if you 'friend' everyone that asks, and give them access to your info on site.   Me, it's friends only, and nothing available to anyone other than those 17 friends & most are family.

image.png.95b660abf463ad45891acbd815b525eb.png

Now your friends may share their friend list, and not just FB, but other accounts also, which unless checking a few extra security boxes, will allow their friends to see your postings & info.  You can restrict it all, as I do,  Since I only have FB to keep in contact with those friends & family anyway.  I turn down many of my extended family & friends when requested.  Ain't seen or talked to you in over 20 years ... really, let's be friends ... please.   Use someone else to jack up your #s.

Some people I see have 100s to 1000 friends ... and not for business purposes ... ????

You can't fix stupid

Edited by KhunLA

I hate social media. I suffer from depression on and off. Some things were said about me and I nearly killed myself. 

I think facebook etc should be banned.

Take care whatever your life looks like.

"Dont let the bastards get you down" U2

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/18/2022 at 12:18 AM, ozimoron said:

And yes, to be absolutely clear, I think those who refuse to wear masks when recommended or required and refuse to get a vaccine without proper medical reasons are murderers. That people die as a result is demonstrably the

People should be friendly towards others whether they believe in this or that.

Masks is not the topic.

Edited by Sparktrader

Having fallen afoul of a stalker long ago, I can attest that it can be quite unsettling.  Years ago, during the big flood that had large swaths of BKK and much of Thailand under water, there were a lot of inquiries about what roads were open or passable.  

I lived on a main road heading out to some of the factories.  It was flooded but since it was an important road, there were a lot of inquiries about how far you could get and ways around it.  In the process, I was starting to identify where I lived.  I realized this and decided to answer as if I were on the other side of the road.  This turned out to fortuitous because I received a very nasty, threatening DM from someone.  He said he knew who I was and where I lived.  After a short back-and-forth, I said go ahead and come by.  Had he followed the directions, he would have ended up at the house of a rather high ranking military officer (which was guarded).   

The point is, it is best to be cautious on social media.   There are lot of unstable people and most are probably just keyboard warriors but one never knows for sure.  

For people who might be facing a troubling personal problem, I suspect it could be quite unsettling. 

• Like 1