American men are sicker and more likely to die early from preventable causes than peers abroad, study finds

Scott

23 hours ago, Screaming said:

The United States has some of the best health care in the World and also the best doctors in the World. The reason for that is because it is not socialized like Europe. Why do so many Europeans come to the United States for surgery, because they must wait over a year in their socialized country to get the procedure. The reason so many American men are in poor heath is because they are obese, not because of the health care. 

Foreigners traveling to the US for health services are all wealthy and choosing to use their wealth to access very specific health care providers, specific doctors, clinics or hospitals that have a very well earned recommendation for excellence.

That is not an endorsement of all US health services but it does however provide an example of those with money to pay getting excellent service.

Thereon lies the problem of US health insurance, tens of millions of people not insured very many more under insured.

People who can’t afford insurance aren’t going to be able to pay out of pocket for their care or for preventative medicine, annual health checks, addressing health problems early etc.

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nhsr/nhsr169.pdf

• Like 2

2 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

I get $1900+ USD/mo and I collected at 62.

That's great. I hope you get to take advantage of it for a very long time. I was a labour union leader for a long time and I consider increasing my members monthly pension benefit as the best achievement I accomplished. There is nothing better than a worry free end of life. Especially if spent in Thailand 

• Like 1

One of the main reasons why US healthcare is so atrocious for many people is the link between their job and health insurance - lose the job, lose the insurance.

It means another hold over the employees by the business - which American systems are geared to.

• Like 2

The problem I see, and have experienced, is that the US medical system is hard to access.  I returned to the US and getting signed up under medicare and getting insurance was a hassle.  I required a lot of help negotiating the system.  Once in, my primary doctor (or I should say his staff) were most helpful in getting me the specialized medical attention I needed.  

The health care I've received for a number of conditions has been excellent.  I had the same medical issues in Thailand and they were very good, but not as good as the US.

I know people who simply do not qualify for medicare/medicaid and who cannot afford insurance.  Obamacare helped a great deal, but they still can't get the care they need and can't pay for medication.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Credo said:

The problem I see, and have experienced, is that the US medical system is hard to access.  I returned to the US and getting signed up under medicare and getting insurance was a hassle.  I required a lot of help negotiating the system.  Once in, my primary doctor (or I should say his staff) were most helpful in getting me the specialized medical attention I needed.  

The health care I've received for a number of conditions has been excellent.  I had the same medical issues in Thailand and they were very good, but not as good as the US.

I know people who simply do not qualify for medicare/medicaid and who cannot afford insurance.  Obamacare helped a great deal, but they still can't get the care they need and can't pay for medication.  

I really would put Medicare into another category although it is quite complex and there are still large out of pocket costs needed. Medicare is basically National Health Care Lite but only for elders. 

• Like 1

On 7/17/2022 at 3:06 AM, heybruce said:

Let's not forget that agricultural subsidies primarily go to grain production, which is used to feed animals and produce corn syrup sweeteners.  The result is an abundance of cheap and readily available foods high in animal fat, starch and sugar, while fresh vegetables and fruits are more expensive and sold in far fewer places.

And a load of them do get shot too.