After Divorce on a non immigrant o visa

Hi,

I will soon be entering on a 90day non immigrant o visa based on marriage. I'd like to know what would happen if my wife and  I were to divorce during either the 90 days that the visa is valid for or after renewal to a 12 month visa .  Would my visa become instantly invalid or would i be allowed to stay until my next renewal date ? If the visa were to become instantly invalid would i have any other options with regards to staying longer in the country?

Thanks.

Edited by killblues
typo

The 90 days you got from a non-o visa would remain valid.

If on a extension of stay based upon marriage you would have to cancel it on the day your divorce is final.

I you could qualify for a another type of extension you could change from marriage to it.

If 50 or over you could apply for one based upon retirement. If not and found a job you could change to one based upon working. You could enrol school and extend for that reason.

• Like 2

What Ubon Joe said is correct, but if you got divorced before you got your first extension, you cannot go ahead and get an extension based on some other criteria. Your first extension must match the reason for your visa. In that case, you could simply go ahead and apply for a new 90-day O-visa  based on the new criteria.

• Like 1

Thanks for your replies guys.

Following on from my original question - assuming I were to divorce during the 90 day visa but at the end of the 90 days I were to leave Thailand and re-enter on either a 30 day visa exempt or a 60 day tourist visa could you tell me which one would allow me to extend the most times or for the longest period of time in total, many thanks.

5 minutes ago, killblues said:

but at the end of the 90 days I were to leave Thailand and re-enter on either a 30 day visa exempt or a 60 day tourist visa could you tell me which one would allow me to extend the most times or for the longest period of time in total, many thanks

A visa exempt and tourist visa can both be extended by 30 days. 

There is only one extension possible.

You can do border bounce twice per calendar year for visa exempt entry.

Obtaining a 30 day extension to each gives 120 days.

SETV are also an option at places such as Vientiane.

That would give 60 days + 30 from extension.

• Like 1

Once back in the country on a 30 day exempt you can apply for the Non Imm O based upon retirement if your over 50, and then turn it into an annual extension.  You can always get yourself a ME Re-entry permit and come and go during that year without killing off the extension of stay.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Once back in the country on a 30 day exempt you can apply for the Non Imm O based upon retirement if your over 50, and then turn it into an annual extension.  You can always get yourself a ME Re-entry permit and come and go during that year without killing off the extension of stay.

The OP sorta ignored uj post re non O retirement...

My guess is he is under 50.

Clarification from him would help. 

Edited by DrJack54

Just now, DrJack54 said:

I OP sorta ignored uj post re non O retirement...

Clarification would help. 

Of course that would be needed if the OP is under 50, he would need to do as your post indicated.

3 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

The OP sorta ignored uj post re non O retirement...

Clarification from him would help. 

Sorry, yes I am over 50 but not in receipt of a pension or regular income at this moment although I am expecting to be receiving income from investments in a few months time so therefore I dont think i meet the retirement visa requirements

4 minutes ago, killblues said:

Sorry, yes I am over 50 but not in receipt of a pension or regular income at this moment although I am expecting to be receiving income from investments in a few months time so therefore I dont think i meet the retirement visa requirements

Can you drop 800K Thb into a Thai bank account, your name only.  If so then that is all thats needed along with the paperwork they require with the Application.

8 minutes ago, killblues said:

Sorry, yes I am over 50 but not in receipt of a pension or regular income at this moment

Sounds like the financial requirements is an issue.

You could always use an agent for extension based on retirement.

When better situated funds wise you could do the extensions yourself.