Approval reported for a bridge between Koh Samui and the mainland

webfact

3 minutes ago, khunPer said:

Too much longer travel time - at least two hours more, even with a bridge - I would rather pay little more for excellent service, and I know many that says the same. And what do you think the taxi-dare will be from somewhere on Samui to Surat Thani Airport?

A lot of Thais I know travel to Bangkok from Surat Thani Airport because the fares are so much cheaper than Bangkok Air and it avoids the long bus journey.

There will likely be minibus services to the airport as there already are with the ferries. One's own car or even motorbike is also a possibility for those prepared to do it to save money. Just park it there for the return.

1 hour ago, phetphet said:

A lot of Thais I know travel to Bangkok from Surat Thani Airport because the fares are so much cheaper than Bangkok Air and it avoids the long bus journey.

There will likely be minibus services to the airport as there already are with the ferries. One's own car or even motorbike is also a possibility for those prepared to do it to save money. Just park it there for the return.

Yes there are. I know people that tried it and will never do it again, they rather pay the Bangkok Air fare. Take a Bangkok Air early morning bird or a late evening, buy on the Internet, the difference to minibus and ferry on top, and lost time, makes flying direct a pretty good option for many. If you are on a real budget the sleeper train Bangkok- Surat is a fair option...????

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 7/21/2022 at 8:32 AM, phetphet said:

It's not those who will go anymore- it will be by plane to Surat or train or bus. Then people in the South will drive there.

the airport on the island will probably close as it will no longer be required - Surat will take over. Samui / BKK line is the only profitable line for Bangkok air - so they will probably go out of business.

Don't forge the old "island charm" will not be the attraction it will be a suburb full of quack hospitals and "wellness" clinics - totally different clientele

Edited by kwilco

On 12/9/2022 at 3:36 PM, kwilco said:

I wonder how the inhabitants of Taling Ngam will take te news?

Like they've been doing the past 20 years. 

They know it will never happen. 

Just some money spent on the same studies that they've done already. 

Market forces don't exist in Thailand - schemes like this may be devised in murky rooms behind closed doors - contracts involve big money to contractors and graft and corruption flourish.

Mega schemes around the world are particularly open to graft and corruption. They happen, not because there is a need but because it is a signal project and feeds the greed of contractors. This could happen and the island inhabitants will have little or no say in it.