Approval reported for a bridge between Koh Samui and the mainland

webfact

1 hour ago, Maha Sarakham said:

This is going to take a long time to build, if it ever completes.  The super highway connecting throughout Isaan still isn't done years later... 

yep maybe a bridge to far. Better to finish off all the other projects that are half finished. 

• Like 2

Oh man I could only imagine the car and pickup graveyard under that bridge with Thailands skilled drivers and 17km of elevated road with our famous sideways monsoon storms that kick up down here. 

I suppose that’s in the 20 year plan along with the Submarines that are still waiting to have engines fitted Yesterday I read that Samui plans to have a berth terminal for all the cruise ships that will be arriving it reminds me of the plans some 16 years ago to build a marina to accommodate up to 200 small craft in Samui I don’t even think it got as far as dredging the area to make the water deeper  It’s all a pipe dream that will never happen unless big brown envelopes are exchanged 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, crazykopite said:

I suppose that’s in the 20 year plan along with the Submarines that are still waiting to have engines fitted Yesterday I read that Samui plans to have a berth terminal for all the cruise ships that will be arriving it reminds me of the plans some 16 years ago to build a marina to accommodate up to 200 small craft in Samui I don’t even think it got as far as dredging the area to make the water deeper  It’s all a pipe dream that will never happen unless big brown envelopes are exchanged 

That is why it will be done!

5 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Bangkok AIr will probably try to stop it since they own the airport.

In any event, sounds like a 10 year project probably full of many construction issues and potential corruption.

Bangkok Airways probably won't care, cutting an hour or two from a long transportation time around 15 hours means nothing compared to 65 minutes flying time, people will still fly from Bangkok, which is the by most major route.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rwill said:

Looking at the drawing it looks like they are planning observation platforms too.  With plenty of parking I would imagine...

They are, same old plan as for many years...????

• Like 1

3 hours ago, crazykopite said:

reminds me of the plans some 16 years ago to build a marina to accommodate up to 200 small craft in Samui

That is still 'under consideration' along with Thaksin's second airport and the ski slope.

(They actually started the ski slope - I saw the photos!)

8 hours ago, soi3eddie said:

A good idea if the bridge ever gets built. The ferry operators will not like this one little bit. A big plus for Samui making access easier in all weathers.

"...all weathers..."

Does this location always have calm weather with no chance of high winds, high waves, tsunamis, etc?

10 hours ago, webfact said:

A budget for 25 billion THB will be spent on the Koh Samui – Khanom Bridge which will be 17 kilometres long, connecting Phangka Beach in the southwest of Koh Samui in Surat Thani to the Khanom district of Nakhon Si Thammarat.

As long as Sino-Thai construction whatever & Co don't build it I'm in favour.

7 hours ago, klauskunkel said:

image.jpeg

Not a single ornamental lamp post. I bet that'll change...

Where's all the overhead power cables and poles? 

Not got a chance of being built unless they go cap in hand to the Chinese for finance and skilled, 'conscripted' labour to build it.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, hotchilli said:

As long as Sino-Thai construction whatever & Co don't build it I'm in favour.

You might be disappointed, as these folks built the last 2 projects:

Participants

On 7/20/2022 at 11:02 AM, khunPer said:

Bangkok Airways probably won't care, cutting an hour or two from a long transportation time around 15 hours means nothing compared to 65 minutes flying time, people will still fly from Bangkok, which is the by most major route.

But people might be prepared to drive to Surat Thani airport and fly from there. Apparently much cheaper fares from there to BKK.

48 minutes ago, phetphet said:

But people might be prepared to drive to Surat Thani airport and fly from there. Apparently much cheaper fares from there to BKK.

Too much longer travel time - at least two hours more, even with a bridge - I would rather pay little more for excellent service, and I know many that says the same. And what do you think the taxi-dare will be from somewhere on Samui to Surat Thani Airport?

• Like 1