Anyone used an agent for getting legally married?

giddyup

I posted this a few days ago under Marriages, but it seems no one reads that section.

I went through the procedure of getting married a few years back, ie getting clearance from the Aussie embassy, getting everything translated etc, but never went ahead with it because I read that it could affect my age pension from Centrelink.

However, now that I'm a few years older I'm not too worried about a reduced pension, and am wondering if using an agent to obtain a marriage licence makes the whole procedure any easier?

25 minutes ago, giddyup said:

wondering if using an agent to obtain a marriage licence makes the whole procedure any easier?

As said the Thai lady you ask to marry can make it happen either way. 

i.e. My wife organized everything.

A friend of mine his wife got it done through an agent. 

Just stand there with the wallet and control the spending requests. ????????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

As said the Thai lady you ask to marry can make it happen either way. 

i.e. My wife organized everything.

A friend of mine his wife got it done through an agent. 

Just stand there with the wallet and control the spending requests. ????????

Doesn't answer my question whether using an agent makes it any easier.

2 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Many years back I did by accident. I went to the British Embassy BKK to find out the procedure, outside was a tout, she said I can do everything for you including the marriage, that is all the paperwork, copies etc, start today, marriage certs tomorrow afternoon.

Cost 8000bht all in, at the time it was 70bht to the pound, so at a bit over 100 quid I thought a bargain.

All done without a hitch....????

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, giddyup said:

I would say a agent is easier because they do all the arrangements I would of thought that was obvious.

• Like 1

Would imagine slightly easier, although it's a fairly easy process to begin with.  What could they possibly do that you aren't doing, go to the post office for you, is about the only think I can think of.

You have to get your embassy letter of eligibility, you fill it out & post it to get translated & notarized.  Then you go to Amphur office, and submit, & your married.

The only part an agent could do, is go to the post office for you to send it off for translation & notary, and then receive it back & deliver to your house.  Not sure that's worth even paying 100 baht for, as surely they'll think you're an idiot for even using an agent, and charge you a few 1000 baht maybe.

Also not seeing any advantage to getting married, unless can't get a retirement visa.  Your and or she can write up wills and submit to Amphur office.

Really don't understand why so many people think they need agents & lawyers to do the simplest tasks for them.

Been married twice ... too easy.

3 houses, 9 lots w/usufructs ... too easy

DL ... too easy, transfer car ... too easy

Divorce ... easier than getting married.

Sold house w/POA (1st wife), too easy, and she wasn't even there.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Would imagine slightly easier, although it's a fairly easy process to begin with.  What could they possibly do that you aren't doing, go to the post office for you, is about the only think I can think of.

You have to get your embassy letter of eligibility, you fill it out & post it to get translated & notarized.  Then you go to Amphur office, and submit, & your married.

The only part an agent could do, is go to the post office for you to send it off for translation & notary, and then receive it back & deliver to your house.  Not sure that's worth even paying 100 baht for, as surely they'll think you're an idiot for even using an agent, and charge you a few 1000 baht maybe.

You haven't got a clue on the subject.......????

18 minutes ago, transam said:

Many years back I did by accident. I went to the British Embassy BKK to find out the procedure, outside was a tout, she said I can do everything for you including the marriage, that is all the paperwork, copies etc, start today, marriage certs tomorrow afternoon.

Cost 8000bht all in, at the time it was 70bht to the pound, so at a bit over 100 quid I thought a bargain.

All done without a hitch....????

When we had the village monk marriage done we then had to make it legal so we made it a holiday by going Bkk and do the embassy bit then off to Koh Samui, called back in Bkk govt building and get married and get the marriage certificate. 

All I remember of costs was giving the woman who married us 200 baht so she would sign as a witness to the marriage as well. ????

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Yes. It will simplify anything I leave her in a will.

If you are going to write a will anyway, it won't simplify anything.  Married, she'll inherit anything in Thailand anyway.   Will simply does the same thing.

If having assets overseas, you may want a lawyer for that will, but again, if she has the will, marriage is unnecessary.

If going to affect your pension, that's a good reason not to get married, as their are no good reasons to get married IMHO

DISCLAIMER: Do as I say, not as I've done ... says the guy on wife #4

It's the last time, I swear .... again.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

If you are going to write a will anyway, it won't simplify anything.  Married, she'll inherit anything in Thailand anyway.   Will simply does the same thing.

If having assets overseas, you may want a lawyer for that will, but again, if she has the will, marriage is unnecessary.

If going to affect your pension, that's a good reason not to get married, as their are no good reasons to get married IMHO

DISCLAIMER: Do as I say, not as I've done ... says the guy on wife #4

It's the last time, I swear .... again.

It won't change my life as we've already been together 13 years, but might make her feel a bit more secure, even though at 80 I'm not likely to be straying. Just looking at the pros and cons.

• Like 1