Design your own adventure

Sparktrader

Sukothai is crazily out of your way.

Gotta go with the consensus: prob the best Thai monumental site, even surpassing Ayuthaya (which would not be out of your way all that much), but the definition of a one and done, and a single day (or even a single hour with the right tuk tuk guy) would more than cover it. Def stay in the new city, the old part by the ruins is def sedate.

[I misread and thought you were going direct to Udon.]

Loei is your worst nightlife pick since Mukhadan. There was some other shambling pile of old bricks in the midlands that you also thought was sex-nirvana.

Kamphet Phet Historical Park, am I right? Do you envision hookers jumping out from behind crumbly old pillars? Finally, a sound and light show I can get behind. Since you're hoping for a lurve connection, stick to major cities.

You should go to Hat Yai/Danook. That's like a BBC documentary on the evils of sex work.

I'll be in CM after August 1 if you want to have a drink. I'll be in the fancy Nimman section. At least, that's what the estate agent called it.

Edited by LaosLover
  • Sad 1

Lampang is a total 'why am I here?'-headscratcher.

Lamphun has some great old relics. I mean other than the tiny expat population there. It's like a lunch place and 90 (at most) minutes of wat-viewing.

You only have 3 weeks, right? It's like $60 to fly from Udon to CM.

s

Edited by LaosLover

8 minutes ago, LaosLover said:

Sukothai is crazily out of your way.

Gotta go with the consensus: prob the best Thai monumental site, even surpassing Ayuthaya (which would not be out of your way all that much), but the definition of a one and done, and a single day (or even a single hour with the right tuk tuk guy) would more than cover it. Def stay in the new city, the old part by the ruins is def sedate.

Loei is your worst nightlife pick since Mukhadan. There was some other shambling pile of old bricks in the midlands that you also thought was sex-nirvana.

Kamphet Phet Historical Park? Do you envision hookers jumping out from behind crumbly old pillars? Finally, a sound and light show I can get behind. Since you're hoping for a lurve connection, stick to major cities.

You should go to Hat Yai/Danook. That's like a BBC documentary on the evils of sex work.

I'll be in CM after August 1 if you want to have a drink. I'll be in the fancy Nimman section. At least, that's what the estate agent called it.

You might abuse me

Nimman is bit try hard.

Done ayuthaya before

Maybe i just chill nk, udon, kk. Then fly cm

• Like 2

Just now, Sparktrader said:

You might abuse me

Nimman is bit try hard.

Done ayuthaya before

Maybe i just chill nk, udon, kk. Then fly cm

Just have a loose plan, and a few destinations and no time span. If a place is good, stay longer, if not move on to next one. We all have our favs out of different reasons, so might not be you feel the same.

I'm used to travel with motorbike, and useally have time to do what I want and go where I want. 

I would recommend you to try out Koh Phangan a week. Start there, and then see if you want to head north or stay longer.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Just have a loose plan, and a few destinations and no time span. If a place is good, stay longer, if not move on to next one. We all have our favs out of different reasons, so might not be you feel the same.

I'm used to travel with motorbike, and useally have time to do what I want and go where I want. 

I would recommend you to try out Koh Phangan a week. Start there, and then see if you want to head north or stay longer.

Done kpn and samui

Done krabi

Done chumphon, pkk hh and cha-am

Done kanch, ayuthaya

Edited by Sparktrader

Nan is flyable from Bangkok. Def one of my fave towns. And they have Thailand's most famous painting. Viewable for free. Most of the towns in Thailand are 2 day towns. Nan could squeeze 3 out.

Nimman is $800 a month for an apartment with a pool on the roof. I live in one of the poorest parts of America. That would buy you a room share inside a trailer.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, LaosLover said:

Nan is flyable from Bangkok. Def one of my fave towns. And they have Thailand's most famous painting. Viewable for free. Most of the towns in Thailand are 2 day towns. Nan could squeeze 3 out.

Nimman is $800 a month for an apartment with a pool on the roof. I live in one of the poorest parts of America. That would buy you a room share inside a trailer.

Old city has guesthouses 10,000 baht a month. Area be better..nimman has bad traffic.

Why not just pound out all the stops in Issan? Is the CM add on to make sure your whole trip doesn't suck? Embrace the suck. Get down, go native.

Khorat is more of a likely choice than CM. And they have the walled city thing there too, but not as nice as in CM.

Just now, LaosLover said:

Why not just pound out all the stops in Issan? Is the CM add on to make sure your whole trip doesn't suck? Embrace the suck. Get down, go native.

Khorat is more of a likely choice than CM. And they have the walled city thing there too, but not as nice as in CM.

No i got cheap flights. I liked Ubon and Surin, figure i will like kk, udon. Cheap. 

I like local.

4 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

Done kpn and samui

Done krabi

Done chumphon, pkk hh and cha-am

Done kanch, ayuthaya

To be true, Koh Phangan is definitely the best place I have been post covid, and more relaxed than before. 

Then Kanchanaburi? 

Non of the Isan part is really interesting if you do not have any relations to it, not even for scenery. The most intersting roads in Isan is in Loei, and if take the train, stop in Kanchanaburi. 

The  places in my opinion is worth visiting if you drive yourselves or have transport with a driver who take you where you want. 

Chiang Rai is a big nice district with nice smaller places worth to check out and also Pai I believe you mentioned before. 

3 minutes ago, Hummin said:

To be true, Koh Phangan is definitely the best place I have been post covid, and more relaxed than before. 

Then Kanchanaburi? 

Non of the Isan part is really interesting if you do not have any relations to it, not even for scenery. The most intersting roads in Isan is in Loei, and if take the train, stop in Kanchanaburi. 

The  places in my opinion is worth visiting if you drive yourselves or have transport with a driver who take you where you want. 

Chiang Rai is a big nice district with nice smaller places worth to check out and also Pai I believe you mentioned before. 

Done kanch 3 times

Rai once

Pai once

I could do kpn again. Havent done Tao. Dont dive though. Kpn was chilled.

I start phuket finish cm. Rest is optional. 

22 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

Done kanch 3 times

Rai once

Pai once

I could do kpn again. Havent done Tao. Dont dive though. Kpn was chilled.

I start phuket finish cm. Rest is optional. 

Koh Phayam? 

8 hours ago, Sparktrader said:

Lampang?

Lamphun?

There OK for stopping wherever you decide to stop over you can look and decide the next place by simply looking up places on Google Search.

What do you want or expect to do at the the places you want to visit.? 

Luckily no one mentioned where I live. We like it that way. It's a bit out of the way though, for between between Udon and CM.

I've heard Uttaradit is quite picturesque????

But if you make it up here you are welcome for a beer.

6 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

Luckily no one mentioned where I live. We like it that way. It's a bit out of the way though, for between between Udon and CM.

I've heard Uttaradit is quite picturesque????

But if you make it up here you are welcome for a beer.

If i knew where it was.

Not a direct answer to the question but for a trip good planning is needed I am sure no one would disagree. Lonely Planet have good maps that are waterproof of Thailand and they are not expensive.

Just a suggestion but I have found them to be very informative.

Some of the best moments have been unexpected and just by random luck around next corner. It is hard to, or hard for me to plan my trips in details and have a fixed plan with fixed times and bookings, because I might take a left turn instead of a right turn whenever I feel for it. 

This is just during covid since I started to save my data in Google. 

Before I got my own wheels, I prefered to stay one or two places instead of travelling around, mostly because I had an activity I enjoyed connected to those places, now my hobby is motorbikes, so more convenient and easy to move around, instead of bussand train or absolutely worst min van busses. 

33E2D934-0191-4B80-9658-B62ED3822B9D.png

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/23/2022 at 3:32 AM, Hummin said:

Loei city have nothing much except nice roads and Nature driving through. Chiang Khan is nice thow. Not sure how this is going to fit your train and bus schedule?

Might do Vientianne 3 or 4n. Should I go to Luang Prabang?