Long traffic delays at Dover ferry port are fault of Brexit, claim French

onthedarkside

Just now, RayC said:

The referendum was years ago but how can you ignore the ongoing effects? The fact that the UK government wants to renegotiate the Withdrawal Agreement demonstrates that:Brexit' is still a 'live' issue today.

No, the Withdrawal agreement was been signed in 2020 and is in effect , the Irish border  is a minor side issue which will eventually get a conclusion .  

30 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Remainers knew exactly why brexiteers were voting for it. In a word, xenophobia, without understanding how the economy runs. No other issue mattered at all to them.

That comment speaks volumes for the rabid ignorance of many remainers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, nauseus said:

Well I can see one.

16 minutes ago, RayC said:

That is your recollection of events. I'm sure many others would disagree with it.

???? Taken a while but we finally seem to agree on something.???? Hope for us all yet. We had best quit now while we are winning

• Confused 2

3 minutes ago, RayC said:

The referendum was years ago but how can you ignore the ongoing effects? The fact that the UK government wants to renegotiate the Withdrawal Agreement demonstrates that:Brexit' is still a 'live' issue today.

Ah! The withdrawal. Something allowed by treaty but not well detailed and defined within it. This allows the EU to make it as difficult as they want for any member to quit - even if it damages both parties - and that's exactly what they have done. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

No, the Withdrawal agreement was been signed in 2020 and is in effect , the Irish border  is a minor side issue which will eventually get a conclusion .  

You are wrong. The Irish Protocol forms part of the Withdrawal Agreement.

It's hardly a "minor side issue" as you suggest.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RayC said:

Remind me again how that impacts on the issues at Dover................................

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RayC said:

Yes, but the withdrawal agreement isn't going to be rescinded because of the Irish border issue .

As both sides of Ireland seem content with the current situation , neither seem to be in a hurry to have a conclusion 

5 minutes ago, nauseus said:

Ah! The withdrawal. Something allowed by treaty but not well detailed and defined within it. This allows the EU to make it as difficult as they want for any member to quit - even if it damages both parties - and that's exactly what they have done. 

Playing Devils Advocate for a moment and accepting your comment as correct, then 'So what?'. 

If the Withdrawal Agreement is ill-defined and ambiguous, why did the UK government sign it? Didn't they foresee that the EU would use to their advantage? (Please don't use the 'honour and trust' argument. They was none of that during the negotiations).

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Thunglom said:

We've already lost 10s 0f thoud=sands of workers and imports and exports are grinding to a halt.

Apart from the fact that UK imports increased by 1.7 % last year and exports have increased by 20 % in the last year and apart from that fact , yeah  "imports and exports are grinding to a halt" 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, RayC said:

Playing Devils Advocate for a moment and accepting your comment as correct, then 'So what?'. 

If the Withdrawal Agreement is ill-defined and ambiguous, why did the UK government sign it? Didn't they foresee that the EU would use to their advantage? (Please don't use the 'honour and trust' argument. They was none of that during the negotiations).

I was addressing the lack of clarity and clear guidance in the EU Treaty (as amended and consolidated in the Treaty of Lisbon, particularly Article 50). I can only assume that as it was written by the EU it was vague by design. PM Brown did not sign it but gave Milliband the pen. Maybe Gordon knew something spooky? 

Anyway the Lisbon Treaty is separate to but resulted in this Withdrawal Agreement, which itself is as bad, or worse. The Belfast Agreement itself, is also separate, of course.

1 hour ago, ozimoron said:

Remainers knew exactly why brexiteers were voting for it. In a word, xenophobia, without understanding how the economy runs. No other issue mattered at all to them.

1 hour ago, RayC said:

That is your recollection of events. I'm sure many others would disagree with it.

I remember the Remainer abuse very well, in fact there’s one of them still at it today. (I’ll add that to my medals from the weekend.)

The other one has a recollection problem similar to Boris’s. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, nauseus said:

Looks like the opposite to me, What was said was could have easily happened if the EU had allowed it, All disruptions in movement and trade are down to EU regulation and policy.

No - you see they weren't there before - WE LEFT!!!!

I used to cross the cannel every 2 weeks for nearly 25 years both as a tourist for business and in a truck - I can tell you categorically that Brexit has totally frecked this. 

It'ds thing to do with "the French" - the UK elected to leave the EU and are now a third country subject to all the restrictions any 3rd country faces when entering the EU.

I don't know if Brexiteers have a problem with this - we are OUTSIDE the EU and therefore subject to all the usual customs and migration regulations the NON-MEMBERs face. It doesn't matter if you enter by France, Belgium. Netherlands Spain or even Germany you face th same restrictions. France even has tried to help by putting immigration and customs on ENGLISH soil at Dover........

We KNEW this was going to happen and we told it was "project fear" - I can't believe how obtuse some Brexiteers are......

the brexiteers lied before and now they are facing the truth - this ain't going away.....

https://fb.watch/eumk_2s-hm/

Edited by Thunglom
  • Like 2

49 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

That does seem to be the point that he was making 

(Did you read the thread title ? )

Then I am guilty of going off-topic (as are you!). You obviously didn't read the thread title either.

Edited by RayC
Addition
  • Confused 1

What the UK tourists are going through, the increase in regulations and consequent obstacles due to Brexif, prompting anguish and frustration, is but a ripple in the ocean compared to what British companies have had to endure since  Brexit regulations took hold regarding exports.

The self harm can't continue for ever. 

GDP down 4% because of Brexit. 

Several sectors of the economy underperforming due to a lack of labour.

We'll be rejoining the Customs Union before 2025.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, bannork said:

What the UK tourists are going through, the increase in regulations and consequent obstacles due to Brexif, prompting anguish and frustration, is but a ripple in the ocean compared to what British companies have had to endure since  Brexit regulations took hold regarding exports.

The self harm can't continue for ever. 

GDP down 4% because of Brexit. 

Several sectors of the economy underperforming due to a lack of labour.

We'll be rejoining the Customs Union before 2025.

You excel in getting off topic comments in .

Get around the rules by mentioning the topic and also adding off topic comments 

5 minutes ago, bannork said:

What the UK tourists are going through, the increase in regulations and consequent obstacles due to Brexif,

Well , the current travel delays were caused by a technical fault on the French side , French immigration being understaffed , stringent Covid document checking in France , UK flights being cancelled and IUK school holidays .

As Brexit rules have been in place for 2 and half years , the current travel delays have nothing to do with Brexit 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

7 hours ago, JonnyF said:

Ah, so the French have decided to go on a "go slow" to punish the Brits for Brexit. How very mature of them.

No doubt Macron has approved this move. Classic EU pettiness. Thank god we left.

11 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Well , the current travel delays were caused by a technical fault on the French side , French immigration being understaffed , stringent Covid document checking in France , UK flights being cancelled and IUK school holidays .

As Brexit rules have been in place for 2 and half years , the current travel delays have nothing to do with Brexit