Thailand First Trip... Buy House?

sorry, but i think for pattaya you're a bit late if you want to invest 1 mio baht. easy to get something for that price but what is that worth (hole in concrete block), how much would people pay for it monthly and for how many months per year? good deals could be made 3,4,5 or more years ago, since then prices have doubled or more, might still look cheap to you but this is not the UK. the only developments that SEEM to go pretty well are luxury class, one million in your currency. guess that is the same all over this country, bkk or phuket even worse i guess.

i would suggest: buy a condo for yourself if you find one you like and which is worth the price asked for (take your time, look around!); rent it out if you fancy but don't expect any big returns. might look like a possible 10% return on a yearly basis (buy for 1 mio, rent for 8000 a month), but from may till at least august most condos are empty, no income. if you want to speculate on buying property and sell it in the future, ok, prices might rise even higher, but i think property prices being asked for at the moment are a bit over the top already. best idea: (after spending some money on a condo you like) put your rest money into something else (take your time, look around).

sorry but have no idea yet what is worth an investment (with low budget) and possible/ realistic. bar beer maybe :D ? good luck!

Very interesting, lots of useful info here, you sound like you've got a good level of experience there, do you think buying land and building would be a better idea?

I have Thai relatives so I'll be able to buy (or long lease) land with their assistance. From your own experience, what size accomodation do you think I'd get for 1 to 1.5M if I could buy land and build from scratch instead? And how much revenue do you think I'd generate on a yearly basis? Taking into consideration the may to august deadtime you mentioned, I'd probably stay in the property myself during this time and it would work out pretty nicely I think. :o

Edited by Gorguruga

Very interesting, lots of useful info here, you sound like you've got a good level of experience there, do you think buying land and building would be a better idea?

I have Thai relatives so I'll be able to buy (or long lease) land with their assistance. From your own experience, what size accomodation do you think I'd get for 1 to 1.5M if I could buy land and build from scratch instead? And how much revenue do you think I'd generate on a yearly basis? Taking into consideration the may to august deadtime you mentioned, I'd probably stay in the property myself during this time and it would work out pretty nicely I think. :D

I think you need to get forget the idea that:

a) property prices go "up" like in the west

:o rental will provide a healthy return on investment...It won't

Buy a house/condo to live in....

For investment, stick your £15-20k down as a deposit on a flat in the UK...

RAZZ

To OP:

Just come here, check it out, see if you like it, look around, get a feel.... Coming for the first time ever and buying off the bat would be unwise to say the least.

But if you can find yourself a nice brown girl with dark nasty feet that doesn't speak a lick of english, definately fall in love and marry her. It seems to be the thing to do round here... to each his own.

But my advice: only fools rush in....