Make a visa run to change type of visa

Hello

Living in Jomtien with OA visa, after insurance became compulsory (as we have an insurance covering us fully but not the thais insurances needed by immigration) we thought of changing for O visa but in between due to covid we could not make the compulsory visa run

We plan to do it now going to Trat so through Klong Yai border if I am not mistaken

Could anyone tell us if this is now possible.. In this case, do we have to take a visa to enter Cambodia (I imagine can be done per internet)

Then, procedure would be to just cross without having a re entry permit for Thailande and re enter 5 minutes later with visa exemption one month.. Next day go to immigration here and apply for O visa (we have all compulsory amount of money available in bank accounts and have done already here 5 extensions based on OA initial visa without any trouble or problem)

Thanks a lot for advice and confirming if all this is right and possible now.

Also please confirm this is the most convenient border point from Pattaya.. Thank you

Have a very nice day

Edited by LOG54

You could do the border hop to Cambodia to get a 30 day visa exempt entry.

You will need a visa on arrival. A online visa is only available at certain crossing and airports. See: https://www.evisa.gov.kh/information/port_entry/3

The crossing at Ban Pakard in Chantaburi is closer to Pattaya. Map: https://goo.gl/maps/4KoTm4Myd7mwyw938 

Edit: Requirmjents for the non-o visa applciation is here. https://www.immigration.go.th/wp-content/uploads/2022/02/9.FOR-RETIREMENT-PURPOSES-50-YEARS-OLD-NON-O.pdf

• Like 1

Thanks a lot indeed.. it will be much quicker..I saw the visa on arrival fee is 30 dollars per person to pay in dollar.. I imagine it is better to have the exact amount of money with us

I imagine it opens at 8 o clock morning ? is it a long procedure to get the visa on arrival as yes, apparently we cannot make the evisa process as we did last time we went through Trat ?

Thank you very much for your help

Have a nice day

Edited by LOG54

2 hours ago, LOG54 said:

I imagine it opens at 8 o clock morning ? is it a long procedure to get the visa on arrival as yes, apparently we cannot make the evisa process as we did last time we went through Trat ?

Sorry I missed the crossing at "Cham Yeam (Koh Kong)" in Trat shown on the web page I posted a link to. The e visa is available there.

20 hours ago, LOG54 said:

Thanks a lot indeed.. it will be much quicker..I saw the visa on arrival fee is 30 dollars per person to pay in dollar.. I imagine it is better to have the exact amount of money with us

Thank you very much for your help

Have a nice day

Better to have the exact amount per person (as in if there are 2 of you don't take 3 x $20) and pay in dollars. They might take Thai Baht but you will end up paying far more. It will depend on how many people are making the crossing but it shouldn't take much more than an hour each direction and it isn't difficult.

My experience is from the Aranyaprathet/Poipet crossing in 2020 which is notoriously difficult and corrupt so it may not apply to Ban Pakard - others might be able to give you more current information. At Aranyaprathet if you wanted to do a border bounce and come back in visa exempt they wouldn't let you do it the same day and made you stay overnight in Poipet (not sure if you could overcome this with an extra "payment"). As I wasn't coming back to Thailand on visa exempt I was ok.  It might be totally different at Ban Pakard but be prepared just in case.

I changed from an O-A to an O visa about two years ago. I went to Laos. I had no problems. I stayed there for two nights. I drove to Nong Khai, crossed the border, took a taxi into Vientiane, and stayed the first night in a hotel. I went to the Thai embassy there the next day and submitted my application. I had to spend another night at the hotel in Vientiane, but then went back the next morning to pick up my O visa based on marriage. I then took a taxi to the border and reentered Thailand. I picked up my car and drove back home. I've had no problems with extending my stay on the O visa ever since, in fact have switched it from an extension based on marriage to extensions based on retirement because there is a lot less paperwork required. 

Edited by billsmart
  • Like 1

Do not be surprised if the Cambodian side

1. Asks you to pay more than US$30 for the visa on arrival; and
  2. wants to charge you a fee (100 - 200 baht should be enough if you cannot avoid it) for same day return.

The overcharging for the visa is not acceptable, and you can usually persuade them to taker the official fee. Stay calm and friendly while negotiating this.

There is a silly Cambodian law that those without multiple entry visas must spend at least one night in Cambodia. The small fee to have the Cambodian officials turn a blind eye to disregarding this law is understandable. I still avoid it when I can.

• Like 1

Thanks a lot everybody.. Of course will stay friendly whatever they ask.. My main point would be to be absolutely sure I can do it go and back in a few hours as we have a pet at home and we should not get stuck there.. Anyway, have to try

Last question, as we go per car.. we can cross the border by foot and come back the same way of course (as I think thai registered cars cannot enter Cambodia)

Anybody with recent experience in Ban Pakard is welcome

Have a very nice day

5 hours ago, LOG54 said:

Thanks a lot everybody.. Of course will stay friendly whatever they ask.. My main point would be to be absolutely sure I can do it go and back in a few hours as we have a pet at home and we should not get stuck there.. Anyway, have to try

Last question, as we go per car.. we can cross the border by foot and come back the same way of course (as I think thai registered cars cannot enter Cambodia)

Anybody with recent experience in Ban Pakard is welcome

Have a very nice day

At Ban Pakard, there should be no problem doing an in-out within an hour or so, especially if tolerant to overcharging for the visa-on-arrival.

There is no problem entering on foot. It is less than a five minute walk between the Thai and Cambodian immigration.

Thank you very much to everyone for help and time taken to answer me.

Any idea of the "visa on arrival surcharge" I could be asked to pay cambodian side (to get enough dollars with me) ? I imagine there is nothing similar when reentering Thailand with visa exemption

Will give the info after I come back as it can always be interesting to hear about the next developments.

I will of course take all documents to prove vaccination full process.. I imagine it should be printed on top of the phone application ?

Have a nice week end

Edited by LOG54

1 hour ago, LOG54 said:

Thank you very much to everyone for help and time taken to answer me.

Any idea of the "visa on arrival surcharge" I could be asked to pay cambodian side (to get enough dollars with me) ? I imagine there is nothing similar when reentering Thailand with visa exemption

Will give the info after I come back as it can always be interesting to hear about the next developments.

I will of course take all documents to prove vaccination full process.. I imagine it should be printed on top of the phone application ?

Have a nice week end

What they try to charge for the Cambodian visa on arrival varies by entry point. At Ban Pakard they have historically not been greedy, and an extra $5 or 200 baht or so should suffice, even if you are in a hurry.

Immigration on the Thai side there are absolutely fine., no attempt to extort money.

I hope the visa run goes smoothly for you. It should be OK.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

Went as recommended to Ban Packard..3 hours to go ..heavy rains go and back from and till Rayong..

Reached there at 8.30..

As soon as the immigration officer saw our European passports, he called a lady standing on opposite side who came.. Apparently he was worried as we didn't have a re entry but I told him we want to re enter with visa exemption.. This lady with a travel agency badge of course immediately offered her service...2700B per person which included visa to Cambodia ..clearly her fees are 1000.. She said we could do it alone but Cambodia would make us stay 1 night.. and wanted all in bahts no dollars..

True or not, I thought 2000 bahts for both was not worth taking the risk ..as on top of it she had been called by the Thai immigration officer who could also make our return difficult..She made the exit process with us, snaps, fingerprints, offered a seat 10 meters away and filled TM6 forms, required signature, took the money..10 minutes later was back with passports, in and out Cambodia stamp, went with us to Thai counter, we gave fingerprints and snap taken...

All together 30 minutes later we were on the way back to Pattaya..

Some may think we could have done it alone but it was a good and quick service and I don t regret spending that, avoiding all troubles, discussions etc...

Just wanted to thank everyone for advices received and give the feedback.

Have a good week 

• Like 2

Good afternoon 

I think people missed  one point the change from visa exempt to non-o at the pattaya office for the counter immi officer lady is not easy going. Most likely She would be sending u to a local agent. 

Wbr

Roobaa01 

• Haha 1

Hello,

I already enquired with her 2 weeks ago and got the full list of documents ready..

She even in fact had suggested even one year ago to shift to O..

In fact, apart from a map to point out where you live, docs are the same as for OA extension..

Will see ..if problem will inform

Have a nice evening 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, LOG54 said:

Hello,

I already enquired with her 2 weeks ago and got the full list of documents ready..

She even in fact had suggested even one year ago to shift to O..

In fact, apart from a map to point out where you live, docs are the same as for OA extension..

Will see ..if problem will inform

Have a nice evening 

The retirement extensions at Jomtien are dead easy. What can be a problem is the application for the Non O visa. A different set of officials handles that, and they have been known to be problematic. I hope all goes well.

Hello,

Went to immigration with my full file (documents filed following the order of the provided list as I had been instructed to do)..

The lady was not extremely welcoming nor smiling but after beginning to check the file and noting nothing was missing she got more relaxed.. Checked everything, even returned some documents she found to be unnecessary..Only point which surprised me, she refused the Google map itinerary from immigration office to my place I had printed ..she asked me to draw it.. made me sign documents informing about laws, rules and overstay penalties 

Gave me the file back, asked me to do a second copy of the full file and come back to her.. I did, came back, paid the fee, got a receipt and was informed I would receive a message informing me the visa would be ready within 2 or 3 weeks.

All together 30 minutes between arrival and departure from immigration..

I really felt a change of attitude when she saw the tidy file, so she might obviously get upset when she doesn't get all she needs and the way she wants..

This is my experience at least..no problem, not required nor suggested to use an agent..it run smoothly.. and relaxed atmosphere when I completed the procedure

Just for info I go with +800.000 bank account (not with pension monthly amount which might be more complicated)

Have a nice day

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

Just to give final info.

Have received message from immigration saying visa was approved and to come and get visa stamp on the passport...

So, no problem or hassle.

Hope this can help others.

Have a good evening