Thawing UK Frozen Pensions

No 6 months,do it from Thailand,no penalties,even tho others will rush" i know someone brigade"bs  envy ,name of the game

More like 300,000 if defined pension taken into account,plus year after rise if inflation is still there,total of 400,000 plus,plus 500 extra this xmas

10 hours ago, hotandsticky said:

Bar stool experts had told him that he could go back to the UK for 6 months, claim an increase to current levels

Why go back to the UK for 6 miserable months-?  Why try to cover up where you are living? Just tell them your moving to the Philippines to live--go stay there in the sun for a while---they will never know if you then left there for a long visit to Thailand.

Other countries with UK benefits arrangements

The following countries have social security agreements with the UK:

Most of last week I was talking to Newcastle about a Bereavement benefits package for the widow of a pensioner friend-- its about £3,500 --+ a few months pension payment--- Bottom line sorry cant help if its Thailand--Philippines yes

Edited by sanuk711
  • Sad 1

My personnel view is they have no qualms about raising the pension age from 65-66 and adding 5 years to the NI contributions 30-35 plus with now having the full 35 years showing I'm £19pw short unless I want to buy more years back at £800 a pop

And with never being able to live here other than a temporary stay I'm not telling any lie as to where I live some others may have different views ????    

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Troy Tempest said:

I cannot get my UK pension until I am 66 next year.

I have no intention of moving back to the UK permanently in the near future, but I used to go back every year for a couple of months to visit friends and family.

My problem will be that I have been registered with HMRC as non-resident for 10 years.....I still have to pay tax on any UK income which at the moment I only get from renting my house out.

I think I will just have to put up with frozen pension unless I eventually return to live in the UK and change my tax status or as a previous poster said move to the Philippines and then put up with cr@p food, high rents, poor infrastructure, fat birds, cr@p internet and Typhoons!

Better to live in Thailand with frozen pension than live in a Freezing cold miserable climate (most of the time in the UK) and pay a fortune on Energy Bills and everything else for that matter!

Just saying!

You will still get the personal allowance and for the duration the time you are in the UK you will the higher amount of the pension.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

Life certificates aren't required or issued to pensioners living in the UK.

So just a story, and not a very convincing story.

Yes they are. 

That was the only way my friend was caught out originally. 

• Confused 5
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Troy Tempest said:

.I still have to pay tax on any UK income which at the moment I only get from renting my house out.

An accountant can reduce your rental tax by quite a bit for depreciation of the property and his fee is deductible. I was also told you can claim all expensive for visiting the property at least once a year. When I told my accountant the agent does house inspections his answer was ''a friend drove past it and informed you it was looking in disrepair so you flew back, you can claim the return flight and hotel expenses''  But that was Australia and accountants are relatively cheap even so...........

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

None of the UK pensioners I know have ever heard of them (and I know plenty).

Death certificates issued in the UK are connected to the National Office of Statistics which shares information with the DWP.

I guess you mean life certificates, not death certificates. Just because you haven't heard of them doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

Call me a liar if you wish but, 1) Why would I do that and 2) I was sat with my friend when he called DWP and they told him that his pension had been stopped because a life certificate was not responded to. 

He is also the only person with a UK address that I know has received a life cert. The only 'quirk' in his circumstances was a slight enhancement to his pension because his wife died. But - he was definitely sent, otherwise he would still be getting the annual increases.

I am disappointed in your post because I specifically mentioned you in the OP as someone who knows their way around systems/procedures.

Edited by hotandsticky
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, hotandsticky said:

To be fair, that quote is from the 'retire abroad' page.

https://www.gov.uk/state-pension-if-you-retire-abroad/report-a-change-in-your-circumstances

Not if you type in 'living in the UK'' but yes i agree there seems to be discrepancies and no clear answer if in the UK. 

12 hours ago, hotandsticky said:

That is partially true but he did not realise that he could not legitimately keep the increases on his return - the payments revert to the previous frozen level. 

I would investigate further if that is actually the case. My understanding is the increase becomes permanent and portable after 6 months

Edited by Swimfan
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

No I mean Death Certificates as they are the way the DWP finds out you are dead if a pensioner living in the UK. For pensioners living/dying outside the UK the DWP doesn't automatically get informed of deaths.

From what I see this poster set his pension up using .gov.uk,no paper trail,but that does not mean there will not be a paper trail eventually.  Two letters are sent out yearly to whatever UK address is recorded (he has not received any as yet)   but he will. If any of these two letters are returned a PoL will be sent out to same address,fill it in send it back,no problem

Problem  ,small one actually, you self snitched on yourself  (or friend) so frozen,unfreeze is easy,call them,new address,do not know when I return to Thailand

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, sanuk711 said:

Why go back to the UK for 6 miserable months-?  Why try to cover up where you are living? Just tell them your moving to the Philippines to live--go stay there in the sun for a while---they will never know if you then left there for a long visit to Thailand.

Other countries with UK benefits arrangements

The following countries have social security agreements with the UK:

Most of last week I was talking to Newcastle about a Bereavement benefits package for the widow of a pensioner friend-- its about £3,500 --+ a few months pension payment--- Bottom line sorry cant help if its Thailand--Philippines yes

Seems there is a business opportunity setting up post/addresses/ boxes for Thai expats in the Philippines! Now how many UK state pensioners in Thailand? Wait I can add in those living in Australia Canada South Africa South Asia Africa Caribbean. Oh but maybe the DWP will notice if 500k UK state pensioners have suddenly moved to Manila?

Anyone know what someone would do if you were living in an off grid setup for example a camper van as many do these days as regards to a UK address there is no option when you come to claim your own paid for pension ???? 

6 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Just give them any UK address ..... they don't check.

In fact the DWP admit they have no current address for 40% of pensioners.

Now, THAT'S the sort of contribution I was expecting from you. ????

• Haha 1