Thawing UK Frozen Pensions

15 minutes ago, Excel said:

Yes, and that capitilised IF being the main point. In another thread  there was a comment that the British Embassy only works for the benefit of the deceased, not the living. There can be no better illustration of that point than then one raised about  informing them of a UK nationals death and thus they notify the UK registrar of said death, and thus automatic notification to DWP.  So it is the matter of IF. I know of two persons  who have not notified the Embassy in the last 10 years. It's their business what they do after all.

Actually the embassy work for no one. There is nothing that they do for the deceased - or widow.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Another benefit is any wife or partner in Thailand could continue receiving the pension after death

In LOS, you have to get permission from the deceased blokes Embassy to cremate or get released from a hospital for cremation.

The Embassy issues a permission to remove/cremate letter by Fax/email.

Embassy informs UK of the death.

A widow I know kept pension over payments, seems DWP didn't get the message of death, she got a letter from DWP to pay the money back. She was worried about it and asked me to look into it.

The money wasn't paid back, but payments were stopped.....

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, transam said:

In LOS, you have to get permission from the deceased blokes Embassy to cremate or get released from a hospital for cremation.

The Embassy issues a permission to remove/cremate letter by Fax/email.

Embassy informs UK of the death.

A widow I know kept pension over payments, seems DWP didn't get the message of death, she got a letter from DWP to pay the money back. She was worried about it and asked me to look into it.

The money wasn't paid back, but payments were stopped.....

You are  generalising as usual.  There are a good few ex expats here who obtained Thai citizenship many years ago. When he or she dies then as a Thai, normal Thai procedure is followed.  If the UK registrar of deaths is not informed ( as an embassy would do only if notified )) then the pension continues. Further if neither the DWP or HMRC are informed then not only will the state pension continued to be paid but also any private pension. The issue of legality of the whole thing maybe for another discussion elsewhere but just pointing out facts here.   Guess once the "deceased" person who is still getting his pensions reaches a 100 or so then maybe questions will be asked. Best come back to this thread in 25 years times for those answers maybe

Edited by Excel
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Excel said:

You are  generalising as usual.  There are a good few ex expats here who obtained Thai citizenship many years ago. When he or she dies then as a Thai, normal Thai procedure is followed.  If the UK registrar of deaths is not informed ( as an embassy would do only if notified )) then the pension continues. Further if neither the DWP or HMRC are informed then not only will the state pension continued to be paid but also any private pension.

How many have got Thai citizenship, is it 5..................????

Seeing as I have dealt with the British Embassy over a few deaths for widows, I have written what actually happened.

So please go away................... ????

• Like 2

Just now, transam said:

Seeing as I have dealt with the British Embassy over a few deaths for widows, I have written what actually happened.

Please get you facts right rather than make yourself out an expert, which you are clearly not.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, transam said:

This is the guy with his finger on the pulse,or maybe not  lol

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, jonbeen said:

This is the guy with his finger on the pulse,or maybe not  lol

One time the hospital's Fax didn't work for the BE to send the OK release letter, I questioned the hospital only has one Fax......????

Anyhoooo, phoned the bloke at the BE, told him hozzy Fax doesn't work, send it to me and I will print it off to get his body released, and that's what happened....????

• Sad 1

47 minutes ago, Excel said:

You are  generalising as usual.  There are a good few ex expats here who obtained Thai citizenship many years ago. When he or she dies then as a Thai, normal Thai procedure is followed.  If the UK registrar of deaths is not informed ( as an embassy would do only if notified )) then the pension continues. Further if neither the DWP or HMRC are informed then not only will the state pension continued to be paid but also any private pension. The issue of legality of the whole thing maybe for another discussion elsewhere but just pointing out facts here.   Guess once the "deceased" person who is still getting his pensions reaches a 100 or so then maybe questions will be asked. Best come back to this thread in 25 years times for those answers maybe

If an expat has got Thai citizenship, then his UK State Pension will be paid into a Thai bank and therefore need a Proof of Living every year or so. If that is not replied to, then the Pension will stop.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, KannikaP said:

If an expat has got Thai citizenship, then his UK State Pension will be paid into a Thai bank and therefore need a Proof of Living every year or so. If that is not replied to, then the Pension will stop.

The fact they send out these proof of living checks kinda proves they don't trust being informed by the embassy

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Excel said:

Utter rubbish and you have got your story twisted, certainly your facts are not correct.  A UK pension or any other will be paid into a UK until such time as they are informed otherwise to pay it into another countries banking system. The fact that a UK national has got other nationalities is totally irrelevant.  Don't know where you got the idea that a British national with other nationalities have to have their pension paid into that "others" banking system is from, it appears to be yet another fairytale made up to suit the narrative of some other's fairytales on here. So no proof of living is asked for so it does continue - FACT.   Now if you took the trouble to read my earlier post and had read " Guess once the "deceased" person who is still getting his pensions reaches a 100 or so then maybe questions will be asked" I thought that would maybe had given a clue as to what happens then.

Amazing..........????

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Would point out there are more Thais entitled to UK state pensions, than expats who gained Thai citizenship.

my wife is one ,if she goes back to the UK when i pop my clogs  and lives and works with her sister,she has an ni no and one day will get a pension .

however our son owns our house here and runs a company ,she also owns land up north ,so i am lucky in that i dont have to worry about her. feel so sorry for guys whose wives have nothing when they go .

2 minutes ago, ivor bigun said:

my wife is one ,if she goes back to the UK when i pop my clogs  and lives and works with her sister,she has an ni no and one day will get a pension .

I think any Thai who has settled status can claim a pension.....based on their own contributions.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

I think any Thai who has settled status can claim a pension.....based on their own contributions.

Maybe, maybe not but this thread is about thawing pensions, not who or whom may be entitled to a pension in the future.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Excel said:

Maybe, maybe not but this thread is about thawing pensions, not who or whom may be entitled to a pension in the future.

Indeed it is....but as this my thread I felt perfectly justified in trying to the post about. 

Feel free to use the report button if you are concerned about it being off topic.

21 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

Indeed it is....but as this my thread I felt perfectly justified in trying to the post about. 

Feel free to use the report button if you are concerned about it being off topic.

Well if the principle of posting any off topic comment in a thread that one  starts can not be defined as off topic let's see how that reverberates through other threads perhaps now that the precedent has been set by yourself

7 minutes ago, Excel said:

Well if the principle of posting any off topic comment in a thread that one  starts can not be defined as off topic let's see how that reverberates through other threads perhaps now that the precedent has been set by yourself

All threads drift off topic at some point. Too far and the Mods deem fit to clean them up.

A few posters also seem to feel the need to make a comment as well.

We all shortly will join the Yanks at Thanksgiving,thats those on unfrozen pensions,huge uplift coming,and those on defined pensions a lot more. Even at 10% uplift close on 1000 on max pension,defined twice that if past employment reckons,close on 3000 a year,plus 500 pounds Christmas bonus.

Could feel sorry for those losing out,but bitter and twisted they are filled with hatred,would snitch on you in a moment,but unfortunately for them SP does not allow,self snitching is a self imposed dreadful happening  "STOP SELF SNITCHING"  should be the byword

• Like 2

7 hours ago, hotandsticky said:

He is closer to the reality of what happens than many. 

Not by a country mile,read past comments of his,"banged up" 1000 quid fines" goes on and on for years,all trash.  May bring some forward for a gander

5 minutes ago, jonbeen said:

We all shortly will join the Yanks at Thanksgiving,thats those on unfrozen pensions,huge uplift coming,and those on defined pensions a lot more. Even at 10% uplift close on 1000 on max pension,defined twice that if past employment reckons,close on 3000 a year,plus 500 pounds Christmas bonus.

Could feel sorry for those losing out,but bitter and twisted they are filled with hatred,would snitch on you in a moment,but unfortunately for them SP does not allow,self snitching is a self imposed dreadful happening  "STOP SELF SNITCHING"  should be the byword

I have had a few years of low rises on my occupational pension that I took at age 52. Now is the time to reap the benefits of higher inflation.

• Like 1

Feel especially sorry so that have had frozen pensions for many many years and just accept it, that guy in Cambodia especially,one of the old school,losing fantastic amounts,no word of regret,What is it ? 39 thousand lost from 2000 to 2017  from 2010/11 something like 5000 a year now ,climbing to close on 7/8 thousand,probably more in couple more years

Its the poiseness bastards,the jealous ones,spreading totally fake fearful posts that well deserve where they are . Read regulations appertaining to SP,SP stands alone from general DWP regulations

• Like 2

14 hours ago, ivor bigun said:

however our son owns our house here and runs a company ,she also owns land up north ,so i am lucky in that i dont have to worry about her. feel so sorry for guys whose wives have nothing when they go .

Only if she has paid X number of years N.I....

I have been through all that stuff for a couple of widows here in LOS...

How many years N.I. has your wife paid in....?