Recommended drives in Thailand

Sparktrader

Chiang Khan to Nong Khai along the Mehkong river is my favourite ride in thailand.

Another nice ride ( if you like beaches ) is from Krabi up the peninsula to Chumphon/HH/Prachuap KK, did this November 20020 when it was super quiet and it was epic.

Route 12, Khon Kaen to Phetchabun and then up to Khao Kho is also excellent, great scenery, lots of places to stay and lots to see.

I also enjoy Nan / Phrae and CR / CM.

Edited by PJ71
  • Thanks 1

Bangkok to Phuket is not a very interesting drive. Slightly more scenic if you go via Ranong, instead of Surat Thani.

Like most countries - the drives are much more interesting if you don’t take the main highways. But in Thailand this is much slower due to the abundance of slow moving local traffic/bikes/chickens…!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Hanuman2547 said:

I did that drive back in the mid 90's.  It was a fun trip.  Could not travel into Myanmar at that time through the land border.

I would not be game to cross the border now!

12 hours ago, Sparktrader said:

What you think?

My favorites which I have driven many years whilst living in Lanna:

Mae Hong Son Loop from Chiang Mai (2 days needed). On northern section is Pai.

Route 12 from Chumphae (Khon Kaen Province) via Nam Nao National Park, Lomsak and Khao Koh to Phitsanulok.

Chiang Mai to Phayao among the mountains. Route 118 then route 120 from Mae Khachan, via Wang Nua to lakeside Phayao .

Chiang Rai to Doi Mae Salong (hill top town among tea and coffee plantations).

Chiang Rai to Doi Tung (Royal Villa mountain retreat with its extensive gardens and Akha Hill Tribe village).

Whilst living in Isaan:

Mekong Riverside drive from Nong Khai to Loei on Route 211 via Sri Chiang Mai to Chiang Khan then route 201 to Loei. Half way between Nong Khai and Chiang Khan is Wat Phatak Seua with its skywalk overlooking the Mekong into Laos (clearly signposted to the left off 211).

Nong Khai Skywalk

• Like 1

5 hours ago, PJ71 said:

Chiang Khan to Nong Khai along the Mehkong river is my favourite ride in thailand.

Another nice ride ( if you like beaches ) is from Krabi up the peninsula to Chumphon/HH/Prachuap KK, did this November 20020 when it was super quiet and it was epic.

Route 12, Khon Kaen to Phetchabun and then up to Khao Kho is also excellent, great scenery, lots of places to stay and lots to see.

I also enjoy Nan / Phrae and CR / CM.

Might do nk to chiang khan

• Like 1