Royal Thai Police to conduct prosecutions against illegal cannabis sales

snoop1130

ok, they have rescinded this order as 17:00.

for how long?

"Speaking at a 5pm news conference, alongside Yongyos Thammawut of the Traditional and Alternative Medicine Department, Deputy Secretary of Health Narong Saiwong said he would review the order and “reconsider” the matter again for whatever can “bring utmost benefit to people.”

“As for concerns that there will be enforcement and arrest, I assure you that it probably won’t happen yet,” Yongyos told reporters at the hastily arranged news conference."

• Like 1

11 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The Ministry of Public Health has issued an urgent letter to the Commissioner-General of the Royal Thai Police to conduct immediate legal prosecutions against cannabis researchers, sellers, exporters, and processors who are not holding legal licenses.

oh here we go ..............it is illegal unless you are me 

you couldn't make it up

anyone see what is developing here - I saw it weeks ago

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Do the MoPH have the right to issue instructions to the police?

I'm thinking laws need to be issued by parliament then published in the Royal Gazette.

No...yes...yes.

I love multiple choice exams.

Did I pass?

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

legal prosecutions against cannabis researchers, sellers, exporters, and processors who are not holding legal licenses

"I had a medicinal toke and the license thing suddenly became less urgent"

that could become quite a reasonable legal defense

Edited by klauskunkel
  • Like 1

Chalk this up to, well, general incompetence. Yes, another in the long line of "Generals" here.

Invoking an edict - was it even Gazetted? - and asking the Police to enforce it overnight is preposterous, even for Thailand.

That said, DTAM licenses are available, quite a few Thais applied yesterday, the filing fee is 20 baht. The license fee is 3,000 baht to sell, and 1,000 baht to "process".

Requiring a license seems reasonable to me.

In a way this is sort of good news as it points out some of the procedures which need to be covered in the Cannabis Control Act.

Cannabis activist Kitty Chopaka pointed out that 7/11, among many other retail outlets, has a bunch of Cannabis-derived products for sale, and yet they haven't applied for a license to sell "herb-derived" products.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Under this prior herb act, the licenses were generally 10,000 to 20,000 baht depending on the purpose

Well at least it seems that there is a suggestion for brown envelope contents. I knew a way would be found.

• Like 1

What a regulatory mess. Why aren't weed sales licenses issued in the same way as alcohol and cigarette licenses? Namely at the local business office. Why is the health authority pushing its way in and now wanting to collect funds from business operators. There is a lack of coordination between the various ministries on a horizontal level.

17 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The Ministry of Public Health has issued an urgent letter to the Commissioner-General of the Royal Thai Police to conduct immediate legal prosecutions against cannabis researchers, sellers, exporters, and processors who are not holding legal licenses.

Here we go... 

17 hours ago, damen said:

licenses were generally 10,000 to 20,000 baht. Oh i see. Seems like the funds will come soon and fill up those bottomless hole

When Anutin said trillions of baht for the making for the public he actually meant others.