Car rental in Samui....only Automatic vehicles being offered?

3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Obviously everyone has there own personal preferences. 

However, when renting, we only get fairly basic models of remarkably average vehicles.... Thus, why would anyone have a preference for manual over automatic ? (no criticism, I’m just curious thats all). 

I can understand why someone may want an auto over a manual, but the other way round seems somewhat strange. 

It's a simple question. But this being the internet even simple questions go deep. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I've owned both.

For city driving in heavy traffic automatics are less tiring. But if you live in the provinces manuals are fine. Manuals have come a long way in 53 years. Gone are the heavy , tiring clutches of the past. Now very slick and smooth so no difficulty changing gears.

However, Thai women being generally shorter might find reaching the pedals more difficult and prefer autos.

I would even be prepared to pay more for a manual as I like their versatility.

Each to his own as someone has said.

13 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I can understand why someone may want an auto over a manual, but the other way round seems somewhat strange. 

I can also understand when people like manual, that's what racing drivers use and on the right track/road it's fun. But racing on Samui's roads sounds like a bad idea. And if it's just about getting from A to B there is no disadvantage with automatic.

6018503b1cb958ae929f89d1c7db8772--rear-w

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 7/29/2022 at 9:45 PM, Tropicalevo said:

I have always driven manual (53 years).

I prefer to make the decisions as to when to change gear. Why let a dumb vehicle decide  - it just makes for lazy driving.

The old reason was the power sapping torque converter of an automatic,but that’s not applicable any more so an automatic really has no disadvantages and operate so always in the right gear. Most have paddle shifters for the rare occasion you want to choose differently. It’s rather like not wanting anti lock brakes. I used to prefer manual until I drove a paddle shift SMG on my BMW M3 which was far better

On 8/6/2022 at 10:37 AM, richard_smith237 said:

IF its just a hire car on samui for a few days the whole idea of specifically seeking out a manual is somewhat out there on the fringes of being neurotic...    Its just a hire car on flat roads - its hardly renting out an exotic to take on the Nurburgring !!!

Have you ever been to Samui??? PR!CK!

Landscape in Koh Samui, Thailand Stock Photo - Image of tropic, coast:  24138108

Wat Pra Putta Teepangkorn – Lamai, Koh Samui

Koh Samui - Shortcut from Maenam over the mountains to Lamai - YouTube

Koh Samui Land for Sale - 7,364 sqm of Sea and Island View Land, Chaweng Noi

Koh Samui: Na Muang Waterfall 2 Viewpoint Travel Guide - Northabroad

Sightseeing tour of the island All-in-one – 26 March 2020 in the Orion Samui  in Koh Samui

• Like 1

it is basic economics for the operator:-

1  Plenty of auto only drivers, not so many manual only.

2. Less chance of idiot drivers abusing and breaking auto only cars.

And the basic, if unpalatable truth,  that modern auto transmissions work better and are easier to drive.

• Like 1

I think the Thai market demand for manual transmission cars is very low and in fact many models are only available with auto.  For example I believe Toyota saloon cars are now only available as auto. 

I remember a friend of mine wanted to buy a small eco-car with manual trans and the only one he could find at a dealer was a Suzuki Ciaz - and the manual spec car was very basic (cheaper trim, narrower tyres etc).

Commercial/agricultural vehicles such as pickups are often available as manual. 

• Like 1

On 8/6/2022 at 4:37 PM, richard_smith237 said:

IF its just a hire car on samui for a few days the whole idea of specifically seeking out a manual is somewhat out there on the fringes of being neurotic...    Its just a hire car on flat roads - its hardly renting out an exotic to take on the Nurburgring !!!

There are very few flat roads on Koh Samui. (If any.)

Taxis and minivans will not pick up/drop off at many addresses - road to steep. (In Samui language - is the villa up the mountain? Cannot!)

• Thanks 1

Back to manual? Never.

And good luck finding cars/limousines with manual. Only the very cheapest micro cars still offer this option to save a few more thousand Baht. More with pickups. because it's cheaper. 

Mercedes do not offer manual anymore for cars.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, HauptmannUK said:

remember a friend of mine wanted to buy a small eco-car with manual trans and the only one he could find at a dealer was a Suzuki Ciaz - and the manual spec car was very basic (cheaper trim, narrower tyres etc).

You were faster.

Unavailable for normal size cars. So how can one rent. Oldtimer?

54 minutes ago, Tropicalevo said:

Taxis and minivans will not pick up/drop off at many addresses - road to steep. (In Samui language - is the villa up the mountain? Cannot!)

Either because they are incompetent drivers never touching their auto stick or having manual and will roll back to the beach with the clutch open :cheesy:

I experienced some roads in Samui up to a waterfall with the scooter and yes that was extremely steep. But how many live on such roads?

And watch Thai drivers using manual: they seldom will exceed 2000 rpm. Will overtake in 5th gear. They are a threat to public.

Edited by KhunBENQ

On 8/6/2022 at 4:45 PM, Cake Monster said:

It also makes the decisions between having 3 foot pedals to use and only 2 foot pedals easier.

But there seem to be quite a few Drivers who cannot even decide on which pedal to push down on- even when there are only 2 to choose from

Some ASEAN now members are known for "big".
Big foot.

Big evelising.

On 7/29/2022 at 9:45 PM, Tropicalevo said:

I have always driven manual (53 years).

I prefer to make the decisions as to when to change gear. Why let a dumb vehicle decide  - it just makes for lazy driving.

Sunbeam, even sewing machines are automatic now.....????

I would suggest that anything that is automatic will not be dumb, after all, automatic does the thinking for you, I guess you are not automatic, eh.......:crazy:

But, your request should not be knocked....????

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

There are very few flat roads on Koh Samui. (If any.)

Fair point...    but its hardly terrain an automatic is unable to handle, particularly as all automatics can be ‘locked in gear’... 

Thus: IF the Op was asking for a 4x4 which may better to drive such hills in the wet etc, then that would be understandable. 

But, the Op is simply asking for Manual over an Auto....  terrain was not mentioned... its just a simple preference... 

An Auto or Manual makes no difference in Samui... Its not as if he’s going off-roading or racing... 

Edited by richard_smith237

14 hours ago, Troy Tempest said:

Have you ever been to Samui??? PR!CK!

Getting upset on a forum about an automatic car...  

What a child.. ????

I’d respond to content of your post, steep hills etc... but I really have no interest in entering a discussion with a fool... 

Edited by richard_smith237

On 7/29/2022 at 5:34 PM, samuiseagull said:

It's a simple question. But this being the internet even simple questions go deep. 

Try the Samui FB groups....just ask the question there. A lot of local businesses have members there, you may get more replies.