Hiring a maid for the 1st time, what to expect?

weelittletimmy

I'm staying at Surin beach for a couple of months and need someone to cook and clean a few hours a day. Ideally they should speak basic english so I can explain what to cook (western-style healthy grilled meat and veggies mainly, I guess I can use Google Translate for that, Youtube videos, etc).

I googled "phuket maid service" and found https://www.ayasan-service.com/en/location/maid-phuket  , and was about to pull the trigger but thought to ask here first.

Question 1: I was warned by my farang neighbor to be careful and that he wouldn't do it because "they" can't be trusted. I was planning to give the maid a copy of my house key, so she can prepare things even when I'm not around, or when sleeping. The only things of value I have at the house are 20k cash backup in my closet, and a laptop. That's literally it, everything else is gym and beach gear with no resale value. Nothing to be paranoid about, right? What are the odds of waking up one night to a home invasion by her boyfriend and his friends? Thailand seems extremely safe to me but my neighbor has been here 10 years and he says there's lots of crime and I just don't see it.

Question 2: Ayasan's pricing page says 3600 baht/month for a part-time maid, but they list a single price for all of Thailand. Given that Phuket is the most expensive area in Thailand, I expect it will be more. How much can I expect to pay?

Question 3: initially I planned to hire a local massage girl, figuring I'd be getting free daily massages on top of cooking/cleaning, my experienced farang neighbor said absolutely not and it would be unsafe because they are so untrustworthy. He's the one who told me to look for a maid agency "at least" to have some vetting (he doesn't really trust agency-vetted maids either). Is that such a bad idea?

Question 4: anything else you think I should know? I've never hired a maid before. I don't even know what else I should be asking.

Edited by weelittletimmy
forgot question 3
  • Haha 1

Yeah, don't employ a massage girl, they would be unreliable as well as untrustworthy. Go to the massage shop if you need a massage.

We have a gardener, nice enough guy, a simple village guy who will graft, He doesnt come in the house out of respect, we do leave the house open if we need to pop out, it wouldn't occour to me that he would steal some computer gear, I doubt he would know what to do with it - but I would never leave cash laying around, not even hidden - open a bank account for the 20K if need be.

Edited by recom273
  • Like 1

We have a maid Bangkok though, honesty is a problem most maids here are from Myanmar, the maids on my moobaan do not seem to cook there might be some child minding, but not for long, ours is trustworthy never had anything go missing, (few months ago someone on a nearby estate were robbed by an insider)but given the nature of the job, it is not a job many want, we pay ours 1000 a day 1 day a week only, but she is superb, every corner of the house cleaned inside and out, she is 68 now and cycles 2 miles to our house, when she can no longer work i suspect i may well be the maid, do not even think that one of those massage girls would do any hard work, mostly lazy hence massage job. we got ours as she was working for the mooban when is was being built, she dropped the others i guess as Thais they pay her less. do not listen to those who quote 300 baht minimum wage for that sort of money you will get someone who will do little to no work, more likely spend time on phone, there is no such thing a good cheap staff.

ps I should have added she speaks no english,

Edited by howerde
  • Like 2

Interesting, that's two people paying 800-1000 a day for their maid. So that "full-time maid for 4000 baht/month" on Ayasan is wishful thinking? Before I saw that site I was expecting it would be 6000-8000 per month for 3 hours a day tbh. 

11 minutes ago, Upnotover said:

How do you do that in a wok?  I would love to see the 1st results of her efforts following some youtube instruction.  You might be better doing the cooking yourself and leaving her to the washing up - they do have small feet for a reason.

I have a tabletop oven that's good for grilling (air fryer). I expect anyone to learn to grill meat to near-perfection with some trial and error.

I just don't have time to cook, I have a full-time job + other things to occupy me.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

39 minutes ago, weelittletimmy said:

Ideally they should speak basic english so I can explain what to cook (western-style healthy grilled meat and veggies mainly, I guess I can use Google Translate for that, Youtube videos, etc).

As said before you are dreaming.  You want a chef, they are a lot more than 3600 a month. Best to put this idea aside. Getting a maid for just a few months is not going to be easy unless she works for an agency, and knows she can get work once you are long gone. 

40 minutes ago, weelittletimmy said:

initially I planned to hire a local massage girl, figuring I'd be getting free daily massages on top of cooking/cleaning,

Do you want a maid/cook or massage girl?

We have had the same maid for 24 years, she came when the twins were born, the twins are now living and working in America and she is still with us. Basically has become a family member. 24 when she came and 48 now. 

Trust and honesty are the key. For simply a maid you can check pricing at maid agencies on Phuket. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, marin said:

Well it's a part-time job. I imagine someone out of a job, or a part-timer, may prefer making less money working 3 hours a day. I linked the agency I planned to use in my post.

I want a cook primarily, a maid secondarily, and the massage is an optional bonus I only mentioned in one specific context (hiring a massage girl) that you can ignore. A single person can easily be a cook+maid, that's what maids do in most of the world in fact. I am single, and might leave Thailand in 1 year. We are not the same.

• Haha 1

Don't have high hopes to have a person that can cook and clean, usually they clean, don't cook, to have a cook you have to have her doing shopping for ingredients and supply and handle your monies and there's lies the problems of honesty not to mention her knowledge in what and how to cook to suit you, as for salary, a cleaner who clean the house 3-4 times a week for 4 hours a day, do the washing and ironing should cost no more than 5,000 baht a month, but if you can find the rare person who will clean, cook and be honest and diligent and trustworthy you're one lucky guy..

• Like 2

2 hours ago, weelittletimmy said:

I googled "phuket maid service" and found https://www.ayasan-service.com/en/location/maid-phuket  , and was about to pull the trigger but thought to ask here first.

I looked at that website as I'm interested as well, but looks very confusing, and little explanation.

What is full time and what is part time? What is meant with 1 month or 6 month guarantee?

4500 baht per month for a full time maid sounds dirt cheap to me

Just now, scubascuba3 said:

What's your job?

Most guys get a girlfriend, 10k a month is common, easier to do that

Girlfriends who get paid 10 000 Baht a month only usually give sex , they don't usually do any domestic work at all , no cooking or cleaning or anything for 10 K

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Girlfriends who get paid 10 000 Baht a month only usually give sex , they don't usually do any domestic work at all , no cooking or cleaning or anything for 10 K

if they're live in girlfriends of course they will do some cooking and cleaning

OP you should sit down and understand first what is it that you actually want.

Cleaning? Then, how large is the place and how often do you want it? That would determine the cost of the maid. If you are single and super busy as it seems, you'd probably be content with 2 visits per week.

Cooking? Is that every day, or only when she comes for cleaning? If you are too busy to grill meat and veggies, then you are probably way too busy to go shopping for meat and veggies. Is that her task too? How fuzzy are you going to be about what she buys?

Massage? Then again, how often, how long, what kind (I am not an expert but just "massage" seems like saying "food" when you want to eat). Also, I imagine that a girl massaging you at home will assume that you expect a happy ending. Try a shop first.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, arithai12 said:

OP you should sit down and understand first what is it that you actually want.

Cleaning? Then, how large is the place and how often do you want it? That would determine the cost of the maid. If you are single and super busy as it seems, you'd probably be content with 2 visits per week.

Cooking? Is that every day, or only when she comes for cleaning? If you are too busy to grill meat and veggies, then you are probably way too busy to go shopping for meat and veggies. Is that her task too? How fuzzy are you going to be about what she buys?

Massage? Then again, how often, how long, what kind (I am not an expert but just "massage" seems like saying "food" when you want to eat). Also, I imagine that a girl massaging you at home will assume that you expect a happy ending. Try a shop first.

indeed.  if this is a real person ,  then it would sure be interesting to know something about him.  OP?      

Age,    life experiences ,   a weight lifter of just a dumbbell ?   

Hey,  no harm in asking........... but i see guys here all the time who have lived here for years.   Still no clue..... and still can not speak the language

IMO,  the better one's ability to learn ..... the better they are at success.

and experience is the best teacher  .    go slowwwww

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

if they're live in girlfriends of course they will do some cooking and cleaning

experts at cleaning out the bank account .....     ok, i'm just being sarcastic .

• Haha 1

expect the unexpected...

I have a wonderful maid and she loves helping me in the kitchen... we were making some fresh fruit juice. She wanted to put in salt and I told her no... when I came back and hour later, she told me she put in the salt... but just a little. 

She likes to season my foods to her liking. 

Thai people are quirky by nature - don't expect anything less from a maid... mine is well intentioned.. 

after a while, you stop asking - why did you do that?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, rumak said:

indeed.  if this is a real person ,  then it would sure be interesting to know something about him.  OP?      

Hey,  no harm in asking........... but i see guys here all the time who have lived here for years.   Still no clue..... and still can not speak the language

IMO,  the better one's ability to learn ..... the better they are at success.

and experience is the best teacher  .    go slowwwww

This is the same guy that posted first time business owner in Thailand post.

He has been in Thailand for 2 months only

3 minutes ago, KIngsofisaan said:

This is the same guy that posted first time business owner in Thailand post.

He has been in Thailand for 2 months only

thanks,  i saw that.      None of us know anything about this guy ( we all know that there are many many types landing on these shores) 

doesn't hurt to ask questions,   but of course our answers will be all over the place...... not knowing what this guy's background is

some lady showed me a picture of her wearing very little.  I asked, Why are you showing me this?  She said, a guy who wants to hire me wants to see this?

I tried to talk to her for a few minutes.   Luckily, the job was overseas and she couldn't go.  I have no idea if what I said made any difference....probably not.

If falang wants bad stuff and maid gets mad, she will likely steal everything.  Then come back with all the villagers.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rumak said:

you'll be sorrrrrrry  .     but at least we can have some more topics from you to look forward to

I beg to disagree. Remind me - how much does your GF weigh?

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, weelittletimmy said:

Interesting, that's two people paying 800-1000 a day for their maid. So that "full-time maid for 4000 baht/month" on Ayasan is wishful thinking? Before I saw that site I was expecting it would be 6000-8000 per month for 3 hours a day tbh. 

I have a tabletop oven that's good for grilling (air fryer). I expect anyone to learn to grill meat to near-perfection with some trial and error.

I just don't have time to cook, I have a full-time job + other things to occupy me.

Is your job that demanding working 60 hours per week?  If not, you have time to cook...just be honest and admit you don't want to.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, marin said:

Not here unless you like Thai food, and most maids anywhere in the world dont cook. They clean, wash and iron that sort of thing. You are in Thailand not Imaginary Land. 

Good to know, thanks. That's not the case in my native country, Maids (usually from India, Sri Lanka, etc) learn to cook our local food. You're paying someone to act as a household helper, why would they only help with one aspect only? Anyone can be taught to cook, and unlike my native country's recipes, the meals I'm asking for are very easy.

21 hours ago, grain said:

It's Thailand, you eat out mostly. But surely you enjoy cooking some things yourself. But if you do want a maid. Find an old gal. DO NOT get a sexy gal or a massage gal and think you can bonk her too. That is heading for a heap of trouble. 

Thanks for the advice, I'll follow it. ????
I've been eating out at least once every day since I've been here, but am toning it down and started cooking myself. I want to be able to closely control macronutrient (especially protein), calorie count. Also the average restaurants doesn't give large amount of vegetables, or the really healthy kind (raw kale, spinach, etc). The best way to eat healthy is home cooking.

20 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

What's your job?

Project coordinator (like an assistant to a project manager), working remotely for an American company.

19 hours ago, rumak said:

I am shocked at this shock. You'd think I've just landed from a spaceship. ????
Is everyone here American or European perhaps? I think there's a culture shock going on here. In the rest of the world, especially countries with low salaries for labor jobs, it is common for middle-class households to have a household maid (perhaps upper middle-class in the poorest countries). You've seen other people in this thread say the same.
I have a completely average middle-class background in my country. Son of 2 public school teachers, who owned one house and one car. I have similar friends from Africa, South America, Asia. About half of us had a maid growing up. But not one of my American or European friends had a maid, because only rich people can afford one in those countries.

21 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I'm a little confused. You're an adult but appear unable to look after yourself. Unable to cook or clean or do laundry. If you are able to do those things yourself you don't have to worry about how much or trustworthiness or security.

If you bothered to read my reply above you'd know. But I'll repeat it: I can do all of the above, but I have a full-time job + other time sinks. If I spend 3 hours a day cooking and cleaning, I will lose money compared to hiring someone to do it. It would be financially idiotic for me to do this in a country with such low labor costs. I hope this answer is worthy of the manly independence you demonstrate every week when you get down on your knees to scrub your toilet.

• Haha 1