Thai media continues promotion of Tourist Police/tourism recovery as Japanese lady reunited with iPhone

webfact

2d23e58db7a2a091a8bbbd81a0bd3bf53aa028f421adf43f241b245a28947551.jpg

Picture: Siam Rath

It appears that the Thai media - and Siam Rath in particular - are actively engaged in promoting the activities of the Thai Tourist Police, suggests ASEAN NOW.

There have been a plethora of stories recently in which forgetful tourists have lost items and been reunited with them.

It's starting to rival honest cabby stories but these are all about tourists.

And it's always the tourist police who come up trumps inspiring the eternal gratitude of the tourists and their intention to "come back again and again to the land of smiles".

This as Thailand battles to restore tourism post pandemic and beat ASEAN rivals to the tourist dollar. 

In the latest story by Siam Rath - really nothing more than sucking up to the police by mentioning commanders and lesser ranking individuals swinging into action - a Japanese tourist who couldn't speak Thai went to the Ayutthaya police when she lost her iPhone.

The cops who couldn't understand Ayano Yasuhara, 45, either called in the wondrous tourist police.

They asked Ayano, the wife of a Bridgestone tire company executive in Thailand for a few days, where she'd been.

00b58b8f553d5a13ef2211a955089eb2f5502e523ba1d5253de857c90bca1f2e.jpg

She explained to a Japanese interpreter that she'd been to a temple and a Shell gas station.

The cops took her back to the gas station where honest loo cleaner Wanphen said she'd found it and handed it in to the gas station counter, sure that the owner would return.

The tourist cops ascertained that it was indeed Ayano's. 

Then followed a round of thank yous,khop khuns and domo arigatos while pictures were taken to promote the tourist police.

5ddd2f4f6bc8f2150707b3ad48d7cb2d99f06b66590a5a8714029129f8fa41fc.jpg

One appeared to show the Bridgestone exec doing a "wai-cum- bow" to the toilet cleaner.

While the last word was left to the Japanese lady:

"We'll be back in Thailand for sure!"

At least it would have been the last word. Those were reserved for tourist police spokesman and deputy commander Pol Maj-Gen Apichart Suribunya - to praise the tourist police, encourage the Thai public to follow the loo cleaner's public spiritedness and say this kind of thing just shows what a wonderful place Thailand is for tourism.

He even managed to slip in the expression "quality tourism" for good measure and of course mentioned the 1155 hotline for tourists. 

And the Japanese were waiting for the press and  cops to come along to take some pictures and write a nice story.
What a BS story.

They must be desperate.

Tomorrow's news:

Thai noodle shop owner decided to give foreign visitor a free meal as he ran out of money.

• Haha 1

it's that time of the year when we will start to read daily report of bags full of cash, gold watches, gold necklace and so forth were found by many honest taxi drivers.... all part of Thai tourist police promotional 2022-2023 campaign 555

I accidentally dropped my phone on the main road outside the Hilton in Hua Hin.

I spent the next day or two phoning it and sending messages but to no avail. It was still on but not being answered.

Eventually i asked a Thai friend and she took her phone, sent a message to mine and within a minute we had a reply and i was instructed to one of the security huts within the hilton grounds, wherby i was presented with my phone.

So i'm told its actually theft to hold onto an item that is not yours in Thailand, regardless that you did not originally steal it.