Can I get SMS alerts on my Landline phone?

Daffy D

I don't have a cell phone, the wife and kids have enough so I don't really need one.

Only slight inconvenience is when I need to receive a confirmation code from Lazada or Shopee or wherever I use the wife's mobile number, which is alright but sometimes when everyone is out this does not work so well. 

Anyways, if I could get SMS on my house phone it would make life a little easier, and at my age every little helps :whistling:

So is it possible to receive SMS on a land line phone?

I have TOT fiber if it matters  

Thanks.

It's possible but not easy.  What I did is port my landline number to a hosted VoIP service and connect the phone to one of these.  From my VoIP service I can send/receive SMS messages.  That does not always work because some online services will not send SMS messages to phone numbers that are not owned by a legit mobile phone operator.

The alternative is to send automated voice calls to landlines that read out the code.  I don't know about Lazada but most banks and some online services seem to have that option as well now a days.

Edited by shdmn
  • Like 1

On 8/4/2022 at 12:51 AM, shdmn said:

It's possible but not easy.  What I did is port my landline number to a hosted VoIP service and connect the phone to one of these.  From my VoIP service I can send/receive SMS messages.  That does not always work because some online services will not send SMS messages to phone numbers that are not owned by a legit mobile phone operator.

The alternative is to send automated voice calls to landlines that read out the code.  I don't know about Lazada but most banks and some online services seem to have that option as well now a days.

The problem with this is landlines and fixed service VOIP numbers aren't portable in Thailand to my understanding. So if you do want a VoIP service that supports text as a go between you'd have to at least change the number you give out before forwarding to the landline...And then some services still won't support VoIP for 2fa anyway. So for a non-business user the advice is pretty much "get a cheap cellphone".

Edited by RedBackman

On 8/3/2022 at 10:43 PM, Bruno123 said:

2G one will do.

They don't use 2G and 3G is being fazed out.

For under 3,000 baht you could get a descent touch screen phone.

Have your kids help you.

You'll wonder why you never had one before!

There indispensable. these days. 

• Like 1

OP, I'm always buying rubbish off lazada, and cant recall a need to receive SMS codes. Maybe explore the other options on Lazada, as I'm sure it can all be done via email

33 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

OP, I'm always buying rubbish off lazada, and cant recall a need to receive SMS codes. Maybe explore the other options on Lazada, as I'm sure it can all be done via email

It depends how you're trying to pay, some options are legitimately locked behind sms confirmation or mobile app.

If OP just wants sms they should just get a bargain bin 4g/5g phone and probably the cheapest prepaid plans will work. I'd still recommend going with a cheap modern smart phone though just in case you need any apps later. You can find 5g Android 10+ models for under 1500 baht even.

2 hours ago, blackshadow said:

lazaada send a mail.....thats all you need

After reading a couple of problem reports about email confirmation I ran into the problem myself. Simply does not come, stuck.

I then created a complete new account based on my mobile number and that works.

Lazada is probably the company that knows best how to lock out customers.

Living in Thailand without a mobile/smartphone becomes challenging,

• Like 1

At the moment Lazada send an e-mail with verifications code which works well. Trouble is I have to open the e-mail to get the code which makes another tab on already crowded tab bar and things get lost :sad:

The idea of getting SMS phone verification seemed like a good alternative without adding to the confusion on the computer screen.

But then occurred to me that if I did get a cell phone to receive the SMS,  the same number would be used by the delivery guys to ask directions and/or let me know they are about to arrive with my package. As I don't speak any Thai that could be a little problematic.

Think this idea will go onto the back shelf  :whistling:

11 minutes ago, Daffy D said:

But then occurred to me that if I did get a cell phone to receive the SMS,  the same number would be used by the delivery guys to ask directions and/or let me know they are about to arrive with my package. As I don't speak any Thai that could be a little problematic.

The account (SMS) is to my mobile number.

Delivery address (which can be different from your home address) contains the number of my stepdaughter.

I don't know whether you can empty the mobile number for delivery.

Here in the village it is easy anyway: if nobody can be reached the package is delivered at the shop a few steps down the road.

Works well (except maybe for COD which I don't use).

There is also a growing number of neighborhood shops which officially serve as a drop off point.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Daffy D said:

Turn off the phone except when you need to receive SMS or just don't answer unknown numbers.  And in most cases they just call and hang up anyhow - their policy says they have to call so they just make the call for record.

I am also of the smart phones are nonsense league but have Nokia 3310 4G for sms and calls when required but with data turned off.  They do not need to be on charge cord every day like more expensive phones and easy to use and hold (not basketball size).  And the sound quality is better than most smart phones.  Real model is about 3K but workable clones only about 400 baht (and probably not 4G but not an issue until it is stopped).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, blackshadow said:

I have never ever heard of a landline receiving sms's....

lazaada send a mail.....thats all you need

dont know if shoppee does the same.......

If it's a plain-old-telephone-system landline it can't receive true text. Some providers (not sure about thailand) support a text-to-voice service where it will call you and read out text messages. You could add third party compatibility, especially if you're not attached to your number. Incoming text -> voip that supports text -> call-to-text to your landline or check it on the internet etc.

Fixed service voip is usually also considered as a landline because it's still tied to fixed physical location traveling via wires to the customer, but the signaling is digital and more modern. You'd sign up for this likely through your internet provider. Still works with emergency services for location, seems less scammy, might be able to receive actual texts or text-to-voice depending on your provider.

Non-fixed voip are like google voice, skype, many other services. It can receive texts if you check on compatible devices/apps, You could setup a non-fixed voip number on a "home phone" like device and use it like a landline. It's not tied to a location so it might not work with emergency service. Scammers love to use it so plenty of financial services don't accept it for authentication anyway.

If you're planning to use sms authentication really cell mobile numbers are the only surefire way because plenty of services will refuse to send to anything non-mobile.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, MrJ2U said:

They don't use 2G and 3G is being fazed out.

For under 3,000 baht you could get a descent touch screen phone.

Have your kids help you.

You'll wonder why you never had one before!

There indispensable. these days. 

Who doesn't use 2G?

22 minutes ago, MrJ2U said:

Most of planet earth. 

"Thailand to switch off its 2G services by October 2019"

https://sbr.com.sg/telecom-internet/asia/thailand-switch-off-its-2g-services-october-2019

Maybe you should actually try visiting Thailand once in a while. My 2G phone is up and running, receiving SMS whenever necessary.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Bruno123 said:

Maybe you should actually try visiting Thailand once in a while. My 2G phone is up and running, receiving SMS whenever necessary.

Are you still using a FAX machine and Windows 95?

Right now Lazada sends an email with a confirmation code that works fine. The problem is that I have to open the email to get the code, which creates another tab in the already crowded tab bar and things get lost.

What a "tab bar" I order weekly for several years at LAZADA and at SHOPEE, all without probleme with their email code!
I have not and do not see a "tab bar" unless you save all emails.????
Just had a look. 1473 orders at LAZADA and 423 at SHOPEE...All without problems, opened with eMail code!