Access to own medical data/information

SymS

I don't have to see a doctor that often, but when I do I'm usually satisfied by the service here in Thailand.

But what I find odd is that I'm not usually given access to my own medical data.
I've just been to the dentist and they did an X-Ray. I asked if I could get the file, but they told me they could only print it at cost.

The first time I went to the hospital with social security coverage, I got a free health check, but once it was done the doctor just looked at the data on his computer, told me everything is OK, and I was never provided with the actual results. I did not ask for it though.

Not directly related, but I've noticed when we are given medicines at the hospital, there's no breakdown of the cost, it just shows the total cost for medicines. So we don't know how much we've paid for each.

Are there any laws that govern medical data, that would allow me to be given access to my own data, or is it just up to the hospital/doctor?

8 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

As for breakdown of medicines they give you a list if you ask, of course they try and hide it as patient is less likely to get unnecessary items taken off

Of course they don't "hide  it as patient is less likely to get unnecessary items taken of"    LOL

Only in a paranoid fantasy  world where EVERY INTERACTION IN THAILAND IN EVERY  SITUATION IS 'WIPP ORFF'...HA ha..

That's a perception based on a sense of eternal  victimhood. It's a false supposition.

I get full lists of all my medicines,  I sign  a copy and get a copy given to me. They are given for submission  to insurance  companies. You get reports and even discs of MRI, CT , PET scans.

BUT the OP may have a point about dental xrays- I think I was refused mine once but I'm notbsure if it existed in analogue  or just digital  form

5 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Of course they don't "hide  it as patient is less likely to get unnecessary items taken of"    LOL

Only in a paranoid fantasy  world where EVERY INTERACTION IN THAILAND IN EVERY  SITUATION IS 'WIPP ORFF'...HA ha..

That's a perception based on a sense of eternal  victimhood. It's a false supposition.

Incorrect, the op has already stated he doesn't get a breakdown, standard policy at the hospitals I've been to. They know people will remove items, happens all the time, you need to wise up

As said you just ask for.  Test results can be printed by doctor assistant prior to leaving to pay (and a medical certificate can also be obtained providing diagnosis signed by doctor if wanted/needed) - just ask.  Medications list will be on a detailed receipt - just ask when making payment (you want detailed receipt - you will get the normal short computer receipt along with A4 size detailed receipt which lists everything).  There is no charge for above.  Additional medical records/scans and such are available at small or no cost (no cost if required for insurance).

Edited by lopburi3

I got printed check up results at the governmental sirirach. In an associated with this hospital secondary care hospital, called kanchanapisek, they have online hospital account with suppose all patient's data, but my check up results were not uploaded there. Neither scheduled appointments. And booking dr appointments is nonfunctional. 
Another government hospital gave me hospitalisation record and detailed billing all in thai. But not anything from check up. 
private hospitals give full print out. 
i once did mri at large hospital and disc record was handed to be passed to dr at my local hospital in the same network. 
on social security probably you cant chose hospital for any better. 

Edited by internationalism

17 hours ago, Sheryl said:

You have a legal right to uour medical records. They have to provide it on request. 

They can if they want charge for photocopying etc. 

I have another appointment in a few weeks. It's not really urgent, maybe I'll cancel it if I can't get the file of the X-Ray scan, and see how it goes.