Deadly Chonburi pub found to be illegally modified, operated after allowed hours

snoop1130

14 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

He said that the pub owner was granted permission to operate as a restaurant, where liquor could be served to its customers, but it was modified into a pub without a permission.

He also said that most customers were unaware that there were back and side doors and that only employees were aware of their existence. The back door was blocked and the side door was locked all the time.

Welcome to safe trusted Thailand.... death trap

4 hours ago, prakhonchai nick said:

Close every similar establishment in Thailand, inspect them and only if all requirements are met allow re-opening. I doubt many  will pass first time!   Next check hotels especially for fire escapes, locked fire exit doors and blocked stairways.  Any inconvenience to customers will be worth it

It would make no difference. Apart from there being very few inspectors - something that is common throughout the world - as soon as they leave the premises the doors would be locked again.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I think it's very noble of the authorities in Thailand to employ the disabled, those who are deaf and blind, to inspect commercial premises.

Yes sad as it is, it is a phenomenon here that the crossing of palms with Thai baht notes seriously impairs  hearing and sight.  The more the number of 1000 baht notes then obviously the greater the impairment.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, webfact said:

ordered administrative officials and police to check the safety of entertainment places nationwide,

Here we go again, typical Thailand being reactive rather than proactive. Sadly, it seems to take a tragic disaster before the Thai Authorities get off their ars..s!

My Thai cousin had a one-man band and got a wedding gig on Beach Road Pattaya (long time ago). He had lots of huge speakers, spot lights, the whole impressive lot. Problem was it wouldn't run on the breaker in the breaker box. No problem, breaker removed.

Sometime thru the event I looked up and the power cables coming into the place from the road were smoking!

This was an outdoor event, imagine the same in that building.

1 hour ago, Bangkok Barry said:

It would make no difference. Apart from there being very few inspectors - something that is common throughout the world - as soon as they leave the premises the doors would be locked again.

In the UK, the HSE make snap visits at any time of the day and night (or they did 35 years ago)  - no appointment or forewarning given.   Let them make a snap visit and if all is not as it was previously (ie alterations, locked or blocked fire exits) then close them permanently.  That will keep the bosses on their toes.

Some 40 years ago, having been ejected from factory premises that I was conducting a Fire risk management survey of, for asking that all fire exit doors on each of 6 floors be unlocked, I tipped off my partner who just happened to be one of the few female HSE Inspectors. A visit was made to the factory within 3 days, and they were shut down!

Just now, prakhonchai nick said:

In the UK, the HSE make snap visits at any time of the day and night (or they did 35 years ago)  - no appointment or forewarning given.   Let them make a snap visit and if all is not as it was previously (ie alterations, locked or blocked fire exits) then close them permanently.  That will keep the bosses on their toes.

Some 40 years ago, having been ejected from factory premises that I was conducting a Fire risk management survey of, for asking that all fire exit doors on each of 6 floors be unlocked, I tipped off my partner who just happened to be one of the few female HSE Inspectors. A visit was made to the factory within 3 days, and they were shut down!

Well many of us are fully aware of what happens in other countries however this is Thailand so whatever rules and regulations are in place elsewhere it is totally irrelevant to this incident.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

16 hours ago, Excel said:

Either big plod or big RTN bods possibly owned it indirectly. Not much in Sattahip happens without the latter being involved.

They seem to own most of the property around their including huge private housing estates.

Edited by jesimps
  • Like 1

Waiting now for the sanctions that will be meted out. Owner: slap on the wrist (assuming he can be found), electrician: 5 years in jail for sloppiness; Staff: 2-3 years for not warning customers the exits were locked. 
No doubt the relatives of the victims were touched by the PM’s condolences and sympathy and impressed by his order to check the safety in all entertainment venues. 

Nothing will be done of course and the same tragedies will make headlines again, TO NO AVAIL.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Burma Bill said:

Here we go again, typical Thailand being reactive rather than proactive. Sadly, it seems to take a tragic disaster before the Thai Authorities get off their ars..s!

Yes, but sadly we have had a few of these already.....

I recall an incident on Pattaya 3rd Rd near North Rd end where a fire occurred prior to opening time that would have been bad, had it been later. 

• Thanks 1

This sort of thing goes on everywhere sadly. Google " Starlight night club " in Dublin, where 48 teenagers burnt to death on Valentines night 1981. 4 decades ago and still no closure for the families, after repeated inquiries, so bloody sad !!!! 

1 hour ago, Excel said:

Well many of us are fully aware of what happens in other countries however this is Thailand so whatever rules and regulations are in place elsewhere it is totally irrelevant to this incident.

I am merely highlighting what could and should be done. Thailand copy so many laws from other countries, but just fail to enforce them.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, champers said:

The head of the fire service has been moved from his post. I am keen to see who the owners of this place are.

I expect one to be a gardener and the other a driver employed by an an aircraft carrier operator.......

• Haha 1

RIP to those who die in this tragedy but this is the way Thailand is we all know it, the people at the top who are responsible for this will get away with it as usual,the people who should have checked up on regulations and inspections will get away with it ,there may be a few scapegoats but the real culprits will get away with it. This is how this crazy country is and will always be its the culture, we farangs will never change it.

Planning, health and safety and of course no enforcement.

Just nods of agreement between local businessmen and the local authorities.

the sad thing is that this lawlessness comes as no surprise and has resulted in the death of over a dozen people.

there are so many expats who habitually praise the lack of intervention of law in Thailand especially regards health and safety, whether its buildings public spaces or road safety, yet this is what happens in their idea of paradise.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, mikeymike100 said:

Quite so and they should all be inspected at regular intervals. like every year!

Renew their licence every year, a fire/safety assessment done to gain the licence.

Then spot checks done by the fire stations, without warning.

Lock emergency doors, inactive fire suppressant devices means owner/manager gets jail time.

• Like 1