Lost Kindle

Greenside

I'm mislaying things increasingly frequently in my old age and have been searching for my Kindle since the beginning of the week.  If you should come across a well cared for ten year old Kindle Paperwhite in a brown handmade leather slip case, I'd be super grateful to be reunited with it, since its been my constant companion for almost a decade now.

Its possible I lost it outside immigration or in the car park across the road on August 4th.  Please send a PM if you have a lead on it.

• Like 1

Can't help you with the Kindle. If you have a smartphone, you can go on the Amazon website and download every and any book you have purchased to the phone, and read them there.

My Kindle gets very little use nowadays, the smartphone is less bulky and the text is just as legible.

• Like 1

I just remembered I have a kindle paperwhite or something.  got it used for a few thousand, years ago.  The problem is, an Ipad or nice computer is good enough because of the technology and resolution.  yea, if my eyes feel tired, I'm done.  If more than 2-3 hours, I guess kindle is the way to go.

i should go get it now.

yea, getting older........I lock my room with my keys inside about every three months.  Now I'm reading a book from the guy who wrote Stutter Island or something....he's pretty good, actually.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Greenside said:

Funny, I know I'm in a (very tiny) minority but I could never really get into Terry Pratchett's world.  I should give it another try (if I can take another pass at Copperfield, that's the least I can do!)  I loved all Douglas Adams' work and built a significant SF collection over more than thirty years starting in the early 60's until I had to sell it on moving house back in 2000.
I have now got a digital library of over 7000 books which I manage with the indispensable Calibre, running on a PC.  I'd be interested to hear from anyone with a decent collection who'd like to swap some files. Please PM me and we'll set something up.

If you like SF, I suggest Eric Flint's 1632 ( alternative history ) and Empire ( alien conquest ) series.

On 8/6/2022 at 10:51 AM, Lacessit said:

Can't help you with the Kindle. If you have a smartphone, you can go on the Amazon website and download every and any book you have purchased to the phone, and read them there.

My Kindle gets very little use nowadays, the smartphone is less bulky and the text is just as legible.

Excellent advice.

Newer phones also have "gray scale" mode to make reading easy on the eyes.

Sorry about your loss. 

36 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

If you like SF, I suggest Eric Flint's 1632 ( alternative history ) and Empire ( alien conquest ) series.

Thanks, I have them now.  Take a look at Christian Cantrell's "Containment" and "Equinox" Plus, (not SF but one of my favourites), "Replay" by Ken Grimwood. - written before Groundhog Day but about a hundred times better.  You'll thank me, honest!

On 8/6/2022 at 10:51 AM, Lacessit said:

I am in awe of anyone who can read a book on a phone. Tiny, fiddly screen!

I speed read and my fingers would be swiping like crazy (and they are not that good).

I probably need to see about half a page at a time.

Good luck with the phone.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Tropicalevo said:

I speed read and my fingers would be swiping like crazy (and they are not that good).

or watch a movie, edit documents, write emails of any length. listen to music, send short messages, take photos and make phone calls i can manage...

9 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

Looking at my phone now, I'd say the text size is about two-thirds of what you have posted. I speed read too. The quantity of text on a single page seems to suit me.

11 hours ago, Greenside said:

Any gadget in daily use for ten years (and I really do carry it about most of the time) rates as almost miraculous in my estimation and it seems to be one of the few products where further development was unnecessary - Amazon really nailed it a long while back. 

You're luckier than me, I'm on my 3rd Kindle, previous 2 failed with fat battery.

10 hours ago, Greenside said:

Funny, I know I'm in a (very tiny) minority but I could never really get into Terry Pratchett's world.  I should give it another try (if I can take another pass at Copperfield, that's the least I can do!)  I loved all Douglas Adams' work and built a significant SF collection over more than thirty years starting in the early 60's until I had to sell it on moving house back in 2000.
I have now got a digital library of over 7000 books which I manage with the indispensable Calibre, running on a PC.  I'd be interested to hear from anyone with a decent collection who'd like to swap some files. Please PM me and we'll set something up.

Not much point in swapping files.

Everything is available on Mobilism.org or Z Library.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

Not much point in swapping files.

Everything is available on Mobilism.org or Z Library.

Thanx for posting those, Z library in particular, it has all the Michael Moorcock books on that I've been trying to replace my lost  paperback collection of ????