UK Visa extension for Thai on compassionate grounds ?

Can anyone here advise.

My Thai wife is currently staying in the UK with a 6 months visitor visa expiring on 25/September.

I have been diagnosed with Terminal cancer & I will need lots of care & treatment.

I would like my wife to be able to extend her visitors visa on compassion grounds so she can help & Care for me which she wants to do.

I can get printed hospital paperwork confirmation of my cancer situation.

We have applied to UK & Thai embassy's but they said they don't deal with the special extension visa.

If my Thai wife has to go home to Thailand it will mean I will be living alone & we will probably not see each other again.

Thank you.

There are a number of routes to extend leave to remain on compasionate grounds, this is one of them.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/application-to-extend-stay-in-the-uk-flrhro

I think this might be the approriate route https://visas-immigration.service.gov.uk/product/family-routes?_ga=2.192577898.1581824962.1660027232-1234724278.1642048880

Applications are submitted online and you need an email address to do so, so I can't current check it's the correct route.

• Thanks 1

Something like this should be a simple application, but it's not. The UKVI have made it complicated. Firstly, you can, of course, apply for an extension of the visit visa, but it may or may not be granted. The "compassionate" UKVI take the view that  a spouse or family member cannot remain in the UK to care for a sick realtive or spouse, but might be allowed to remain in order to arrange long-term care. Compassionate, indeed !

As theoldgit says above, the best route is probably to apply under the family life route. There is an element of "the right to family life" in such a human rights application. Basically, the argument is along the lines that, as a married couple, you have the right to family life together. And, as you cannot be expected to leave the UK, your wife should be allowed to remain with you in the UK. You would still be expected to meet the financial requirements of the immigration rules, but if you cannot do so, your wife would probably be put on a 10-year route to indefinite leave to remain, rather than the normal 5-year route.

I would advise you to take professional advice, from a UK immigration advisor (expensive) or from the Citizens Advice Bureau (free).  All advisors in the UK are either registered with the OISC or are lawyers. Non - professional advisors are illegal.  There is one (maybe more) OISC registered immigration advisor in Thailand, based in Pattaya, and I can pass his details to you if you wish.

Edited by Tony M
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, ray richards said:

Thanks guys.

We did send 2 emails to UK Home Office but as typical here in UK we didn't get a reply.

We will try the other options recommend on here, I am on Macmillan patients list so we can try them.

[email protected]

When my wife deeded an extension on compassionate we contacted the above email address.

They answered in around 4 days and granted the extension. 

Hope things work out. 

Edited by roo860