Ban Na Kraseng Border Crossing, Loei.

Has anyone crossed via, this Thai/Laos bridge? 

I'm considering doing so to change from A-O to O.  I'm in a wheelchair so cannot walk across, and would need an agent, driver or whatever, to facilitate the process. Are there such people at that isolated crossing? There's not much on the Laos side so it would just be a turnaround, if that's possible. What is the procedure?

Thanks for any helpful comments.

Background for anyone who needs to know.

I hold an A-O visa and changed my extensions from retirement to marriage a couple of years ago to avoid the insurance scam.

At the time, Covid closures meant changing to an O was not possible. Now that everything seems open again, I'm considering popping over this border to make that change. It's within easy driving distance from home. 

My reasoning is the tiresome process of the marriage extension compared to retirement. My IO is 2 hours drive away and, despite making an on-line appointment for a listed 30 minute process, it still took 3 hours of waiting, stamping, signatures, etc. last time.  The bank took an hour because the only person who could sign the statement was at lunch. Another 2 hours drive home meant the whole thing  took about 8 hours. Very exhausting with my medical difficulties.  And of course it entailed another 1/2 day to get the extension stamp a month later. 

An O retirement extension would be much easier. The money in the bank is ongoing and not an issue.

I am aware there are rumours about the insurance ripoff being extended to other visa classes.

I cannot answer your questions directly. However, one of the moderators here, @CharlieH, has I know used this crossing in the past, and may be able to advise you.

The distance between the Thai and Lao border posts is not that far. If you have a strong young person to push, it should should not be too difficult to get across in a wheelchair.

Unlike with the Cambodian crossings, it is uncommon for an agent to be able to carry your passport across and back for stamps at Lao crossings. You need to actually go across yourself.

One word of warning: back in 2019, it was announced that visa-on-arrival service was to be suspended at some remote crossings, including this one. (See https://laotiantimes.com/2019/10/18/nine-border-checkpoints-to-discontinue-visa-on-arrival-services/)  Before going, you had better check that a visa-on-arrival is possible.

2 hours ago, BritTim said:

I cannot answer your questions directly. However, one of the moderators here, @CharlieH, has I know used this crossing in the past, and may be able to advise you.

The distance between the Thai and Lao border posts is not that far. If you have a strong young person to push, it should should not be too difficult to get across in a wheelchair.

Unlike with the Cambodian crossings, it is uncommon for an agent to be able to carry your passport across and back for stamps at Lao crossings. You need to actually go across yourself.

One word of warning: back in 2019, it was announced that visa-on-arrival service was to be suspended at some remote crossings, including this one. (See https://laotiantimes.com/2019/10/18/nine-border-checkpoints-to-discontinue-visa-on-arrival-services/)  Before going, you had better check that a visa-on-arrival is possible.

Thankyou, your reply is much appreciated.

The quoted article does list that border as one that no longer does visa on arrival. I'm not surprised, from my observations it does seem to be more about heavy vehicles and goods and not tourism.

I'll have to reassess. .

5 hours ago, Lazybones said:

Along time since i went there but I'm pretty sure they have song tor's there to take you across. Used to go all the time for 3 month renewals on O visa.

Thanks for your reply.

I've since found a pic on Google That seems to indicate this. 

However, the need to get a visa complicates it. I'm not sure if it is open at all for short entries by non-Thais. I was hoping someone had been through there recently.

image.png.9cf06ddbb3706b485c450a759b570892.png