Other places near Chiangmai Mai where you can buy mature trees

Dean1953

I’ve been to the market near Tesco many times and have bought trees, usually small, from them. I’ve also been to a location near the San Kamphaine hot springs, that sells mature trees for a lot less.   Since I don’t live at my house and rely on renters to make sure that my lawn sprinkler system is working, several trees died when my last renter wouldn’t let anyone on my property to do repairs to anything.  I’m spending 2 months (September 3-October 31) at my house to do repairs and get landscape ready for my permanent move back in 4 years.  This includes buying 5=7 trees and some plants.  I don’t know if that place near Hot Springs is still open, but if anyone can tell me if it is not not, I’d appreciate it.  Or, if anyone knows of another place in a 60 mile radius of the city that sells trees (and delivers and plants them), I’d appreciate that. 

The tree suppliers near San Kamphaeng Hot Springs that you may be referring to are located in Mae On district near Huai Bok lake, near the intersection of roads 1317 and 4042.  

You can get there from San Kamphaeng on 1317, or from 118 past Doi Saket town, right on 3005, sign for Mae On. 

The attached photos have some signs with phone numbers.  There are all sizes of trees and shrubs.  The bigger trees are all traumatized, stubbed back in the tops and dug with extremely small root balls. Let the buyer beware.  I didn't get prices. 

20220814_103437.jpg

20220814_103723.jpg

20220814_103928.jpg

20220814_104122.jpg

20220814_104311.jpg

20220814_104555.jpg

20220814_104710.jpg

20220814_104753.jpg

• Thanks 1

@drtreelove

Thanks so much for your helpful and informative posts.

Our second daughter bought a small fruit farm in Saraphi a few years ago as an investment.

Originally part of the lumyai orchards out there, we have diversified it with numerous other types of fruit trees and flowering plants.

We recently had a Thai style farmhouse built out of used teak and are spending more and more time at what is becoming a little Garden of Eden.

• Like 1

Thanks Dr tree love.  I have no problem buying smaller trees. I won’t be moving back permanently to my house until the summer or fall of 2026, after my son graduates from high school.  I’d prefer to have mature trees by then in my yard.  Hopefully, I’ve got planting coconut trees out of my system.  I have a 50% rate of failure on them.  I’ll post pictures of my yard when I get there on 3 September.  I have no set plan for type of trees, so any suggestions would be helpful.  I do have a sprinkler system for the yard to take care of trees during the dry periods. My neighbor will check on it and knows how to set it.  I’ll be there for 2 months and will do what I can to help the trees along.  Thanks!

2 hours ago, Dean1953 said:

Thanks Dr tree love.  I have no problem buying smaller trees. I won’t be moving back permanently to my house until the summer or fall of 2026, after my son graduates from high school.  I’d prefer to have mature trees by then in my yard.  Hopefully, I’ve got planting coconut trees out of my system.  I have a 50% rate of failure on them.  I’ll post pictures of my yard when I get there on 3 September.  I have no set plan for type of trees, so any suggestions would be helpful.  I do have a sprinkler system for the yard to take care of trees during the dry periods. My neighbor will check on it and knows how to set it.  I’ll be there for 2 months and will do what I can to help the trees along.  Thanks!

I'm concerned and wondering why the failures with coconut palms.  I'm always puzzled when I hear something like that, It shouldn't be that way. I have a personal record of near 100% success with planting thousands of trees in landscapes and reforestation programs. Its all about appropriate species selection for the site, compatible plantings and irrigation, and growing condtions, good preparation, proper handling and planting technique, mulching and follow up with soil and water managment (not too much or too little). 

Local laborers tend to brutalize trees in the transporting and transplanting, and don't take responsibility for results. A lot of that is due to property owners looking for cheap plants and services.  In my early career I was a foreman of a tree moving crew and the company I worked for guaranteed transplant health and survival for a year with a maintenance contract, so we had to take our professionalism seriously. 

New transplants, no matter how well they are handled have undergone extreme physiological stress and can be very vulnerable to any water deficit/drought stress, and can be highly susceptible to plant pests and diseases. So extra attention to follow up management, frequent monitoring,  and early intervention for any problems is essential. 

Coconut palms need good water management while a new root system is established, and they can be attacked by coconut rhinoceros beetle and red palm weevil which are killer pests. 

20 hours ago, DeaconJohn said:

@drtreelove

Thanks so much for your helpful and informative posts.

Our second daughter bought a small fruit farm in Saraphi a few years ago as an investment.

Originally part of the lumyai orchards out there, we have diversified it with numerous other types of fruit trees and flowering plants.

We recently had a Thai style farmhouse built out of used teak and are spending more and more time at what is becoming a little Garden of Eden.

Your Garden of Eden sounds nice. Saraphi climate and soil has some good qualities, and some of the best trees and gardens I've seen in CM.  To insure plant health, longevity and resistance to pests and diseases, consider going full route on progressive soil improvement in line with the incredible emerging science and practices being made known through the Regenerative Agriculture movement.  There is a revolution in ag and horticulture going on. (See Kiss The Ground, Soil Food Web School, Advancing Eco Agriculture and other resources. There is a Regenerative Agriculture discussion on the Farming In Thailand forum, which has a lot of links to YouTube videos and reading materials.) 

There was one near junction near Saraphi police station if you were going from junction towards train line....between junction and train line left side.

Obvious to ask peak size of tree and timescales of growth if buying smaller age ones..I didn't (total noob/idiot on what to buy for garden) and ours has outgrown neighbour ones same planting period by 3x in size in height/width.

Bit too near the house....oh dear, what did I do ?

Edited by freedomnow

22 hours ago, freedomnow said:

Obvious to ask peak size of tree and timescales of growth if buying smaller age ones..I didn't (total noob/idiot on what to buy for garden) and ours has outgrown neighbour ones same planting period by 3x in size in height/width.

Bit too near the house....oh dear, what did I do ?

That's a very good point, "Wrong Tree Wrong Place" is first on my list of common tree problems.  Many people make that mistake, even landscape architects/garden designers who should know better. 

https://www.fertileearthlandcare.com/top-ten-tree-problems/

On 8/12/2022 at 1:12 PM, drtreelove said:

Magnolia champaka, 11 months growth with good organic program management. 

My aroma-therapy tree.  

Champaka 12AUG2022.jpg

Champaka 12SEPT2021.jpg

Champaka flower.jpg

What do you mean by aroma'therapy tree? How much did you pay for it?

I am thinking of buying a medium size tree that is easy to grow.

On 8/17/2022 at 11:50 AM, EricTh said:

What do you mean by aroma'therapy tree? How much did you pay for it?

I am thinking of buying a medium size tree that is easy to grow.

aroma therapy tree =  flower fragrance that is intoxicating and healing. 

Cost of small trees is minimal, 150 - 500 baht. Moving up in size to 2 - 3 meters height or so, with a 30cm root ball, something you can handle and plant yourself, maybe 1000 - 1500 baht. Larger than that 2000 and up for a nice specimen with delivery and planting included.

Other medium size flowering trees relatively easy to grow, consider

ton bpeep, Millingtonia hortensis, Indian cork tree,

ton ratchaphruek,  Cassia fistula, golden shower tree. 

3 hours ago, drtreelove said:

aroma therapy tree =  flower fragrance that is intoxicating and healing. 

Cost of small trees is minimal, 150 - 500 baht. Moving up in size to 2 - 3 meters height or so, with a 30cm root ball, something you can handle and plant yourself, maybe 1000 - 1500 baht. Larger than that 2000 and up for a nice specimen with delivery and planting included.

Other medium size flowering trees relatively easy to grow, consider

ton bpeep, Millingtonia hortensis, Indian cork tree,

ton ratchaphruek,  Cassia fistula, golden shower tree. 

I usually buy a small plant and it cost me 80 baht so 150 baht is not expensive at all.

Golden shower tree looks nicer than the Indian cork tree, but does it emit a strong fragrance? Which of these three emits a nicer smell? Magnolia champaka, golden shower , Indian cork

Edited by EricTh
  • Like 1

On 8/20/2022 at 10:27 AM, EricTh said:

I usually buy a small plant and it cost me 80 baht so 150 baht is not expensive at all.

Golden shower tree looks nicer than the Indian cork tree, but does it emit a strong fragrance? Which of these three emits a nicer smell? Magnolia champaka, golden shower , Indian cork

Stronger fragrance of the two is ton bpeep/Indian cork.  Ton ratchapruek/golden shower, (the national flower of Thailand) has a more subtle fragrance in my experience. 

Nicest fragrance? matter of opinion, and there are many more possibilities. And if you include shrub and vine forms, what about jasmine, gardenia, rose, rangoon creeper, and more. 

Strongest and most intoxicating fragrance, how about laylavadee, fragipani. I like Plumeria obtusa, the evergreen species with very sweet fragrant white flowers and oblong rounded leaves. 

Fragrance will be influenced by soil quality. Good growing conditions, soil fertility and water management allows plants to reach their genetic potential, and positively affects frangrance, as well as other qualities. 

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the delay in replying.  I got here September 3 and decided last Thursday to go to the tree market neat San Kamphaine hot springs.  I bought 4 coconut trees to go near the driveway gate and 1 apple tree originating in Taiwan.  I'm not renting my house out anymore because the damage by rwnter's dogs was greater than was described to me over the phone.  Because of the wet weather over the last 10 days, the grass height is between my knees and stomach after 1 month since the last cutting. Because of cost and the chance of someone ruining it while I'm in the U.S., I won't be buying a riding lawn mower this trip. My thai neighbor wants to rebuild my 2005 husqvarna and I gave him my blessing.  He will cut my grass sometime in the next 4 to 5 days, with a metel bladed week wacker.  Then, the guy that put in my sprinkler system will send over a couple of Thai laborers to dig out the wild grass that took over my landscape after the neighbor used chemicals to kill the old grass.  Since i won't be moving back permanently for 4 years, i won't have the yard sodded till then. I hope that whatever grows will be managable till I move back.  In the meantime, I'm still looking by motorcycle for local crews to cut the grass for less than the 3,000 baht that my neighbor charges.  

The only other thing going on now, besides moving my furniture out of my car park, cleaning it after 10 years of storage and putting it in house, is concrete work being done.  There are various spots on my wall that need to be re enforced with double blocks and rebar between the columns. He will then move to some concrete steps outside, going to the 2nd floir, that have developed one large crack and several small cracks. Finally, i have a concrete sidewalk on 3 sides of the house.  They have lots of cracks which, he says, occured because the original concrete pour was too thin.  He will at least double the thickness. I want to take care of any major expenses now while I'm still working in the U.S.  when i move back, I'll be on a fixed income.