Endoscopy and Colonoscopy

carlyai

6 hours ago, sqwakvfr said:

I did both at Chiang Mai Ram and total cost was 36,000 in April 2021.  Pathology report came back a week later.  I believe a similar priced package is currently being offered at Ram.

I had a colonoscopy, I believe using NBI (narrow band imaging) instead of the usual "white light" at Bumrungrad in 2018. The following explains various endoscope approaches including NBI: https://www.asge.org/home/about-asge/newsroom/media-backgrounders-detail/new-endoscopic-technologies

Samitiivej in Bangkok uses NBI. 

I'm wondering whether CM Ram, Bangkok Hospital CM, or others in Chiang Mai use this technology.

2 hours ago, Jaxxper said:

About a year ago I had a colonoscopy at BPH. 18,000 baht from memory. Seemed pretty efficient. Report was available in 2 days.

I guess this was without anesthesia (even easy one with Propofol) and instead only with Dormicum ?

Why would anyone require a lab report not unless they found polyps and removed them as they do in the U.K. during the procedure.

I had a colonoscopy in the U.K. a year or so back as blood was detected in a poo sample in the kit provided by the NHS, they send kits out from 60 years old till your 74 years old.

The colonoscopy was carried out by a professor, after he had had finished the task he told me there and then I was all clear. I asked where did the blood come from, he said possibly from cleaning your teeth ?

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Jumbo1968 said:

Why would anyone require a lab report not unless they found polyps and removed them as they do in the U.K. during the procedure.

I had a colonoscopy in the U.K. a year or so back as blood was detected in a poo sample in the kit provided by the NHS, they send kits out from 60 years old till your 74 years old.

The colonoscopy was carried out by a professor, after he had had finished the task he told me there and then I was all clear. I asked where did the blood come from, he said possibly from cleaning your teeth ?

Hemorrhoids is the obvious potential cause

• Like 1

On 8/13/2022 at 5:15 PM, Troy Tempest said:

I had both done at Bumrungrad and got the results the next day.

Very professional and the hospital is like a 4-5 star hotel.

When I questioned them about the procedures before they started they told me that it would involve inserting a camera down my throat and into my rectum, but not to worry as I would be sedated and wouldn't feel anything....I said okay so long as you do it in that order!

However, when I got the bill not only was it a pain in the @rse, but also hard to swallow! :thumbsup:

Ah, you took it up the Bum!

Most here have talked about colonoscopy but the OP request also mentioned endoscopy.

One important test with endoscopy is presence of H.Pylori bacteria indicating gastritis. Gastritis can get nasty if not properly treated. This is done with withdrawn samples almost like an ATK test:

atm-03-01-9-f1.jpg

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, jerrymahoney said:

Most here have talked about colonoscopy but the OP request also mentioned endoscopy.

One important test with endoscopy is presence of H.Pylori bacteria indicating gastritis. Gastritis can get nasty if not properly treated. This is done with withdrawn samples almost like an ATK test:

atm-03-01-9-f1.jpg

Apparently H.Pylori is common in stomachs without symptoms so the cause could easily be something else

• Like 1

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

Apparently H.Pylori is common in stomachs without symptoms so the cause could easily be something else

OK positive test for H. Pylori MAY indicate gastritis. An endoscopy can detect gastritis that has shown no symptoms  and, if H. Pylori is also present, start  a drug regime against that.

But in my case, especially as I consume zero alcohol and have none of the other behavioral causes and no symptoms, the doctor said post-endoscopy gastritis and H.Pylori so he had me start the standard anti-H. pylori bacteria regime.

Edited by jerrymahoney
  • Like 1

Results back from blood test and also test for stomach cancer...all in spec. 

My routine is slowely getting back to what it was in the past will hatdly any pains, and toilet in the morning.

So after I ingested all that fish poo, then 2 weeks antibiotics, stomach acid inhibitors 1 month, now 2 months later maybe OK.

Will still get the camera tests but maybe wait till I get back to Changwat Kalasin.

Natural treatment for H. pylori: What works
  • Probiotics. Probiotics help maintain the balance between good and bad gut bacteria. ...
  • Green tea. ...
  • Honey. ...
  • Olive oil. ...
  • Licorice root. ...
  • Broccoli sprouts. ...
  • Phototherapy. ...
  • Curcumin.

Some people find that the following foods and drinks help ease symptoms of gastritis:

Edited by balo

Wherever you go, make sure you get a DVD of the procedure. That way if you need a second opinion you won't need a new procedure.

My husband had a coloscopy at PIH and was told he had 'advanced cancer' directly after the procedure. Not only did he NOT have cancer (biopsy was clear) but he had diverticulitis - a very serious infection.

Bumrungrad seems to be better priced these days compared to BPH.  Just the other day I needed quotes for a spine MRI.  Bumrungrad 17k, BPH 54k

• Like 2

3 hours ago, thaiclan said:

Wherever you go, make sure you get a DVD of the procedure. That way if you need a second opinion you won't need a new procedure.

My husband had a coloscopy at PIH and was told he had 'advanced cancer' directly after the procedure. Not only did he NOT have cancer (biopsy was clear) but he had diverticulitis - a very serious infection.

Bumrungrad seems to be better priced these days compared to BPH.  Just the other day I needed quotes for a spine MRI.  Bumrungrad 17k, BPH 54k

10 years ago or so Bumrungrad gave a video disk of the colonoscopy. My doctor in Boston was impressed. In recent years they just issued printed reports. The latest (2018) had a map of the colon indicating where various snapshots were taken. I got the impression that they used an advanced scope with NBI (narrow band imaging).

https://ensem.samitivejhospitals.com/colonoscopy.html

https://www.asge.org/home/about-asge/newsroom/media-backgrounders-detail/new-endoscopic-technologies

• Like 1