How many extensions of stay allowed?

I have a friend arriving by air from the EU next week. He will enter without a visa, so expects to be able to stay for 30 days.

His job in the EU allows him to work remotely and he has said he would like to stay in BKK until Christmas.

How many extensions could he get? I have seen reference to a maximum of 2, but also to 6. 

His first extension would be 30 days.

After that he has options to border bounce for visa exempt entries 2 times per calendar year.

Each entry can be extended by 30 days .

He can also obtain tourist visa from nearby eg Vientiane and obtain. 30 day extension.

2 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

His first extension would be 30 days.

After that he has options to border bounce for visa exempt entries 2 times per calendar year.

Each entry can be extended by 30 days .

He can also obtain tourist visa from nearby eg Vientiane and obtain. 30 day extension.

Is there a limit on the amount of 3 month tourist visa you can apply for in a year? (Assuming you can prove you have the money to support yourself).

8 hours ago, DjChris28 said:

Is there a limit on the amount of 3 month tourist visa you can apply for in a year?

Some consulates/embassies can and do have a limit.

Phnom Penh was only issuing 2 consecutive tourist visas prior to covid.

Some folk on applying for a 3rd received their passport back with the full page sticker and red void stamp.

BTW ,,,Tourist Visa gives you 60 day stamp and can be extended by 30....

So yes can stay 90 days (with extention)

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

Some consulates/embassies can and do have a limit.

Phnom Penh was only issuing 2 consecutive tourist visas prior to covid.

Some folk on applying for a 3rd received their passport back with the full page sticker and red void stamp.

BTW ,,,Tourist Visa gives you 60 day stamp and can be extended by 30....

So yes can stay 90 days (with extention)

Here's the thing. I want to go for new years for a few weeks, but need to come back home to sort some stuff out and end my rental and then I'll stay with friends back home. After which I'll want to go back to Thailand with all the money I've saved up (it's alot) and holiday for a good 6 months or so. I'm thinking of STV visa on the second trip. I'd get a STV for the whole thing if the STV visa actually was a multi entry. So hopefully this won't be a problem considering there would only be maybe a month or two break between the two journeys.

Edited by DjChris28

2 minutes ago, DjChris28 said:

Here's the thing. I want to go for new years for a few weeks, but need to come back home to sort some stuff out and end my rental and then I'll stay with friends back home. After which I'll want to go back to Thailand with all the money I've saved up (it's alot) and holiday for a good 6 months or so. I'm thinking of STV visa on the second trip. I'd get a STV for the whole thing if the STV visa actually was a multi entry. So hopefully this won't be a problem considering there would only be maybe a month or two break between the two journeys.

A STV (special tourist visa) is not a multiple entry visa. It allows one 90 day entry that can be extended for 90 days. It may not be available after September 30th.

You could get a multiple entry tourist visa (METV) that allows unlimited 60 day entries for 6 months from the day it is issued.

3 minutes ago, DjChris28 said:

Heres the thing. I wasnt to go for new years for a few weeks, but need to come back home to sort some stuff out and end my rental and then i'll stay with friends back home. After which i'll want to go back to thailand with alll the money i've saved up (it's alot) and holiday for a good 6 months or so. I'm thinking of STV visa on the second trip. I'd get a STV for the whole thing if the STV visa actually was a multi entry. So hopefully this won't be a problem considering there would only be maybe a month or two break between the two journeys.

The plan you outline is fine.

I'm not up to date with STV.

(Special Tourist Visa)

I assume that you checked out METV.

That gives you up to almost 9 months. 

You must have your reasons for brief trip to Thailand over New Years.

That "few weeks" could be done visa exempt..