Car cover- Anyone know of a good quality and where to buy.

Longwood50

I purchased a car cover from Toyota for my Corolla Cross.  It is the typical silver fabric but of better quality than the cheap 200 - 500 baht models.  I paid 2,200 baht for it.  The vehicle is parked under a roof in a parking area adjacent to the home.  It is now 10 months old and started to shred.  It is as if the sun has thinned the material but as said it is out of the sun. 

I am wondering if anyone knows of a top quality car cover that lasts and where to go to purchase one. 

8 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Car covers attract mice snakes and other wildlife as its shade /dark perfect for new home as it doesnt move either.

I wouldnt have one again.

Each to their own. ????

You are so right, I had a reflected car cover on my car for only a short time and mice ate a lot of my wiring. Such a pain to fix.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, rwill said:

I've tried various car covers but when I take them off the car is still dusty.  I was using them for awhile because neighborhood cats were going on top of them and scratching the paint.

I would have thought that a car cover does on the contrary avoid scratching of cats - which happend a lot on our car. Maybe the cover need to have a certain thickness. One other advantage is to protect the car from birds <deleted> which may be difficult to remove after a while. And dogs are scratching, too.

Edited by moogradod

For about 1000 baht I got Isuzu one with our Isuzu pickup about 7 years ago. It’s infrequently used but still just roughly rolled up in the garage and no sign of wear at all. If car parked in the shade there’s little use for it other than to protect from bird ???? if that’s an issue?

3 minutes ago, nchuckle said:

For about 1000 baht I got Isuzu one with our Isuzu pickup about 7 years ago. It’s infrequently used but still just roughly rolled up in the garage and no sign of wear at all. If car parked in the shade there’s little use for it other than to protect from bird ???? if that’s an issue?

I found it would be of best use when visiting up country. There we always have to park outside. And even in our garage cats love to jump on it. I understand that. After all it is a nice car and to see it scratched does not make me too much happy ????. And the birds are really disturbing. Fortunately we use it a lot and detect some of the unwanted stuff early enough. Otherwise the acidity will have its effects.

6 hours ago, rwill said:

I've tried various car covers but when I take them off the car is still dusty.  I was using them for awhile because neighborhood cats were going on top of them and scratching the paint.

My cats spend a lot of time on my Oxford green BMW. Such little scratching as there is can be easily removed given the amount of wax polish already applied to the car. Car covers never really serve any purpose unless the rubber window seals have deteriorated.

Edited by Thingamabob

17 hours ago, plus7 said:

Once I left it under the cover and salon was full of fungi..

I had the same issue with a car I stored for two years. I thought I was doing the right thing by covering it up, but like you say, mold started growing on the leather upholstery. The paint was in good condition though. If I did it again I'd definitely have someone start the car at least every couple of weeks and run the AC.

19 hours ago, plus7 said:

Maybe you can leave the car uncovered and ask you friend to turn it on periodically with aircon to dry air? Once I left it under the cover and salon was full of fungi.....

The trouble is that the birds seem to relish roosting on the car when it is not covered.  The car cover is dry, we don't put it on the car if the cover or car has water on it.  It just seems to thin from the enviornment. 

1 hour ago, Longwood50 said:

It just seems to thin from the enviornment. 

I know what you mean; I've had numerous covers for cars/motorcycles and none of them lasted very long. Like you say, they seem to get thin--and papery from environmental factors. Same with some plastic items over here, they just get brittle and turn into a powder over time.