Good Quality Helmet Camera Setup?

AddyA

Hello, Fellow Bikers.

I want a helmet camera for motorcycle touring in the high season. I've watched a bunch of YouTube videos, but it's hard to know what to believe, seeing as the reviewers are affiliates of the products they endorse. That said, GoPros seem to be the go-to camera for most bikers in terms of video quality, stability, etc. But I'm totally green and overwhelmed by the different opinions, to be honest. So if any bikers here are already set up and happy with their equipment, I'd love to hear your first-hand account on the pros and cons of whatever it is you use.

Thank you.

Good morning, folks.

Sorry for the delay but I was banned for 24 hours. Apparently, I used a disallowed noun in one of my posts. I had no idea there were restrictions on freedom of expression in a "public forum," so I'll stay out of news updates from now on to avoid future bans.

Thank you for your posts. I'm just curious about the Sony FDR-X3000, Hummin. It doesn't look like a regular tiny action camera, so how would one mount that on a helmet?

KhunLa, I've watched plenty of reviews, but all the reviewers are promoting the products, so obviously their pros outweigh the cons. That's why I'm asking for personal recommendations from folks who are actually using or have used their cameras in the last 12–24 months,

Thanks, in advance.

3 minutes ago, AddyA said:

KhunLa, I've watched plenty of reviews, but all the reviewers are promoting the products, so obviously their pros outweigh the cons. That's why I'm asking for personal recommendations from folks who are actually using or have used their cameras in the last 12–24 months,

Thanks, in advance.

I'd agree with you, if they didn't point out the negative.  Easy to spot the salesperson vs the helpful vlogger.   YT'er 'Arthur R' does nice vids on the 360s also:

https://www.youtube.com/c/ArthurR/search?query=360

Many don't suggest 360s, do to ignorance of, but if wanting to do MB tours & vids of, the 360 would be the way to go, if you understand how they operate.  

Normal action cam gives you about 170° and only what you are looking at.  Very limiting IMHO

• Like 1

Never used a helmet camera so that's why I am asking.

Wouldn't it create shaky video? Surely the constant movement of the head as one checks mirrors and behind, and constant looking left and right etc is not good for video making. Even with image stabilisation.

Would t not be better to mount a camera to the front of the bike itself? or even wear one of those chest mount devices?

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, phetphet said:

Wouldn't it create shaky video? Surely the constant movement of the head as one checks mirrors and behind, and constant looking left and right etc is not good for video making. Even with image stabilisation.

Would t not be better to mount a camera to the front of the bike itself? or even wear one of those chest mount devices?

I had one of those chest mounts, was a PITA for day to day use, probably ok for touring for a short period. I agree bike mounted cameras are the way to go, I'm pretty sure there are businesses in Pattaya for example that do the set up

Edited by scubascuba3
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, KhunLA said:

You should seriously research and consider using one of the 360 camera, since using for MB touring.

Interesting, but not sure it's the format I want, but I can see the appeal ????

• Like 1

4 hours ago, phetphet said:

I'm not sure, either, but am open to suggestions.

not sure if it helps but i installed a front and rear facing camera system on my bike with led screen. all tied into the ignition so no worries. just insert sd micro for storage. works great. great picture.

bluesky is the company

Top mounted helmet cam is always the preferred camera angle if only one camera set up. 

Not only for the best view, but also for evidence if something happens while you riding, since you always turn your head in the direction something surprising appears. 

several different solutions for rear and front frame mounts you can have addition. No 360 cams so far I have seen is good enough solely, but nice for additional clips to give another impressions of the riding. If you going to youtube for gaining viewers, you will need additional set ups. 

Successful YouTubing is alot of hard boring work ???? and also takes a bit of interest and creativity. 

If no intersting story or good pictures, most viewers have problems to keep interest for more than 90 sec maximum, if only showing the riding from one perspective. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Hummin said:

Sony vs gopro

In this comparison, the Sony camera has beautiful quality video and wins hands down. But is it a fair comparison for 2022, Hummin?

The GoPro in the vid is the HERO4 Black, and it doesn't have image stabilization, according to the specs. One would assume each GOPRO upgrade is an improvement on the last. And the latest model is the GoPro HERO 10 Black, which boasts 5.3K 60FPS and HyperSmooth image stabilization. 

Also, the Sony FDR-X3000 seems to be a discontinued model as I haven't been able to find a new one advertised anywhere. However, a new GoPro HERO10 Black is readily available and retails at around 16000 THB. 

The GoPro HERO9 also has HyperSmooth image stabilization for about 3,000 THB less, so maybe that's just as good if all one wants is a helmet cam.

I don't know much about any of these things, hence starting this conversation, but it's interesting to hear the views and opinions of others ????

Edited by AddyA

15 hours ago, Hummin said:

Top mounted helmet cam is always the preferred camera angle if only one camera set up. 

Not only for the best view, but also for evidence if something happens while you riding, since you always turn your head in the direction something surprising appears. 

several different solutions for rear and front frame mounts you can have addition. No 360 cams so far I have seen is good enough solely, but nice for additional clips to give another impressions of the riding. If you going to youtube for gaining viewers, you will need additional set ups. 

Successful YouTubing is alot of hard boring work ???? and also takes a bit of interest and creativity. 

If no intersting story or good pictures, most viewers have problems to keep interest for more than 90 sec maximum, if only showing the riding from one perspective. 

No YouYube channel for me, Hummin. Just some nice quality videos to share with family and friends.

I agree about the helmet mount as the camera sees whatever you see. However, I notice some people attach the mount to the top of the helmet while others have it to the side. Is that a reason for that, or does it depend on the helmet?

17 hours ago, eisfeld said:

I can't stand the distortion from 360 cameras. The fisheye effect is really annoying and that "tiny planet" view is just stupid, can't see anything and there's a reason really well shot videos don't use that kinda stuff. It's a novelty gimmik (that view, not 360 cams in general). Cameras like the Insta360 One X2 have a mode that tries to remove the distortion which kinda works but it's not 100% like a regular cam. That is an inherent tradeoff. Another tradeoff is the resolution because if you take 1080p frame out of their 360 degree 5.7k then suddenly its not that great. A regular action cam like a GoPro will give better image quality but you will lose the freedom of capturing 360.

I tend to agree. If you want to record a nice trip through the twisties, the 360 perspective is a strange way to view things and would soon become boring. But I can see its appeal as an addition to regular footage, but not as the entire recording  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AddyA said:

No YouYube channel for me, Hummin. Just some nice quality videos to share with family and friends.

I agree about the helmet mount as the camera sees whatever you see. However, I notice some people attach the mount to the top of the helmet while others have it to the side. Is that a reason for that, or does it depend on the helmet?

I opted away from a helmet cam, one big reason, can be nasty in an accident, i.e. Michael Schumacher 

56 minutes ago, Randell said:

Addya this fellow has used and reviewed many camera set ups and angle in his YT growth. You might find some interesting input in his history I just offer the the 360 as a link not a suggestion. All the best.

That's fascinating, Randell; I had no idea you could do that with 360 videos. The three screens are too much to look at for extended periods, but like the 360 views, it would make an interesting addition to road trip footage in places.

I checked the guy's channel for GOPRO, but it doesn't look like he's reviewed any. He has reviewed a DJI OSMO Action, and that looked pretty good. Alas, it seems that it's a discontinued model as nowhere has any new ones in stock.

2 hours ago, AddyA said:

In this comparison, the Sony camera has beautiful quality video and wins hands down. But is it a fair comparison for 2022, Hummin?

The GoPro in the vid is the HERO4 Black, and it doesn't have image stabilization, according to the specs. One would assume each GOPRO upgrade is an improvement on the last. And the latest model is the GoPro HERO 10 Black, which boasts 5.3K 60FPS and HyperSmooth image stabilization. 

Also, the Sony FDR-X3000 seems to be a discontinued model as I haven't been able to find a new one advertised anywhere. However, a new GoPro HERO10 Black is readily available and retails at around 16000 THB. 

The GoPro HERO9 also has HyperSmooth image stabilization for about 3,000 THB less, so maybe that's just as good if all one wants is a helmet cam.

I don't know much about any of these things, hence starting this conversation, but it's interesting to hear the views and opinions of others ????

What you say is correct. the Sony was released 6 years ago and did cost 400 USD, the GoPro Hero 10 is a current model and costs 500 USD.

Back then the Sony was actually impressive, it took GoPro a few years to beat it.

A second hand Sony might still be an option, depending on the budget. If budget doesn't matter one can of course just go with the current gen GoPro.

I think the current major alternatives to a GoPro come from Insta360 (Their 360 camera is basically the standard, but they also have a "regular" action camera) and DJI, so these are the cameras you want to compare if you are looking for a current generation camera.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

I opted away from a helmet cam, one big reason, can be nasty in an accident, i.e. Michael Schumacher 

Life without some risk would result in a pretty futile existence; I would imagine, scubascuba3. The risk of dying in a motorcycle accident is at least 57 greater than dying in a car accident, and that's if you're fully kitted up. Yet still we do it, like we climb mountains, jump out of airplanes, rock climb, ad infinitum. All we can do is exercise best practices to mitigate those risks. So, I personally wouldn't avoid the helmet cam in the highly unlikely event it's going to kill me. But each to their own ????

9 minutes ago, FriendlyFarang said:

What you say is correct. the Sony was released 6 years ago and did cost 400 USD, the GoPro Hero 10 is a current model and costs 500 USD.

Back then the Sony was actually impressive, it took GoPro a few years to beat it.

A second hand Sony might still be an option, depending on the budget. If budget doesn't matter one can of course just go with the current gen GoPro.

I think the current major alternatives to a GoPro come from Insta360 (Their 360 camera is basically the standard, but they also have a "regular" action camera) and DJI, so these are the cameras you want to compare if you are looking for a current generation camera.

Thanks, FF, that's useful ????

Some things you want to consider, besides of just image quality:

Do you plan to record audio? How do you record it? If you attach a microphone to such a camera they are no longer waterproof.

The cheapest alternative would be to connect a lavalier microphone mounted inside your helmet to your smartphone and record the audio there, you will then of course have to combine video and sound in post production.

While buying a 256GB+ SD card to record a full day in one go is easy, take into consideration that the batteries don't last very long, and if you plan to record a full day you need quite a few of them. Alternatively you would have to use a power bank, or run a cord to a charging port on your bike, this does of course mean that the camera is no longer water proof.

Does the camera offer an easy way to see your battery percentage without having to take off you helmet every time, so you know when to swap them?

If you plan to start/stop recording throughout the day, is it easy to start/stop recording with helmet on and gloves, also is the recording indicator easy to see/hear?

21 minutes ago, FriendlyFarang said:

Some things you want to consider, besides of just image quality:

Do you plan to record audio? How do you record it? If you attach a microphone to such a camera they are no longer waterproof.

The cheapest alternative would be to connect a lavalier microphone mounted inside your helmet to your smartphone and record the audio there, you will then of course have to combine video and sound in post production.

While buying a 256GB+ SD card to record a full day in one go is easy, take into consideration that the batteries don't last very long, and if you plan to record a full day you need quite a few of them. Alternatively you would have to use a power bank, or run a cord to a charging port on your bike, this does of course mean that the camera is no longer water proof.

Does the camera offer an easy way to see your battery percentage without having to take off you helmet every time, so you know when to swap them?

If you plan to start/stop recording throughout the day, is it easy to start/stop recording with helmet on and gloves, also is the recording indicator easy to see/hear?

Excellent points, thank you, FF. I don't plan to record audio, but I'd better factor that in, just in case there are times when I wish I had. I've read about short battery life. One of my bikes has a USB port, but that would mean a cable from the helmet to the dash, which sounds a tad awkward. Perhaps a memory bank is a better alternative than carrying around a bunch of batteries? 

As for the rain, I tend to go on trips with little chance of bad weather. And I certainly wouldn't be riding and recording in a downpour.

Some really good tips there, FF, so thanks for taking the time to post them ????