Tattoos

Paulbangkok

I already have a Tattoo on the top of my right arm, it's a seriously crap tattoo which really looks like I did it myself. I have been considering having it removed but don't particularly like that option so I've decided to cover it.

Can anyone recommend a safe, talented and experienced Tattooist in Bangkok??

Ta

Edited by Paulbangkok

Please reconsider or at least make sure the instruments are appropriately sterilized. Yea, I know, I stated the obvious. However, an enterprising grad student visited a few shops throughout Thailand and reported that needles were reused in some cases and he believed that the same ink source was used for multiple clients. (This gives rise to cross contamination).

I know you may be knowledgeable about tatooing but don't get lulled into a sense of security just because they wear gloves. Make sure that the shop disinfects with substances that have bactericidal, fungicidal, and virucidal activity. Look for an operating steam or chemical autoclave sterilizer. The study reported that a properly functioning sterilizer was not evident in several of the tatoo shops visited.

Remember, the shops are not regulated as they are in North America or the EU. And no I am not nagging you, just reminding you to be careful.

Please reconsider or at least make sure the instruments are appropriately sterilized. Yea, I know, I stated the obvious. However, an enterprising grad student visited a few shops throughout Thailand and reported that needles were reused in some cases and he believed that the same ink source was used for multiple clients. (This gives rise to cross contamination).

I know you may be knowledgeable about tatooing but don't get lulled into a sense of security just because they wear gloves. Make sure that the shop disinfects with substances that have bactericidal, fungicidal, and virucidal activity. Look for an operating steam or chemical autoclave sterilizer. The study reported that a properly functioning sterilizer was not evident in several of the tatoo shops visited.

Remember, the shops are not regulated as they are in North America or the EU. And no I am not nagging you, just reminding you to be careful.

WOW

I knew some of that and I would definitely have been insisting on new Needles, but the "steam or chemical autoclave sterilizer" new to me! also I hadn't really considered the ink source but now you mention it seems so obvious!

Thanks for the Advice

Paul

Edited by Paulbangkok

i think for the most part its obvious what type of hygeine level a place is going to be running. if the place is the size of a bathroom then it might be a bit lower end. i got some work done in phuket, and shopped around a lot, tons of places are visibly dirty and unsterile, then i found a place that was clean like a hospital ( not a thai hospital lol ). If they have International ( west/euro) experience then that will also give you an idea what their standards are like. I think it should be fairly easy to differentiate between a good place and a bad place

I have been in a few tatoo places because some of the sketches they display are impressive art works. Call it a cheap snob's visit to an art gallery. Anyways, what I have noticed is that the guys (and girls) that take their work seriously are proud of their standards and will point out their hygiene & quality etc. Someone that runs a good shop welcomes questions. I've walked into what I thought were dives in Amsterdam and Miami and seen places which were cleaner than alot of medical facilities. I offer this comment so as not to prejudice you because my earlier comment could read as a bit too textbook negative.

Hi If you want a seriously good tattoo and original then Dragon Tattoo in Seacom Center is the place. The guy won best tattooist in Bangkok (I think) in 2005.

I went there on the recommendation of a couple of Thais who are related to my wife. He specializes in Dragons and Japanese style and does mainly big pieces but they are all original. Once he has drawn you a design and signed it thats it, he won't do it again.

I had a thai dragon and lotus on my stomach (7 hours of agony!!!) but brilliant colours and really crisp lines. My wife had a lotus and he made good another tattoo I had had done in Pattaya the previous year. In total we were there for 9 hours and it cost probably a fifth of what it would in London.

Try googling him

You might want to take someone who speaks Thai as he doesn't do much work wirh Farang and can't speak English

Recommende by my thai barbershop owner and went to see the place, not so 'clean' as clinic but good job and garanteed his work, ie color to stay.

www.jimmywongtattoo.com

was bit high priced, but had some western boyband poster hanging on his wall where the boys was sign and thanked the master to made their tattoos.

35/60 Soi Wattanawong Makkasan, Pratunum, Bangkok. (66) 02-2542601.

Better to phone to made appointment, he is working alone and when working he close the main door.

Recommende by my thai barbershop owner and went to see the place, not so 'clean' as clinic but good job and garanteed his work, ie color to stay.

www.jimmywongtattoo.com

was bit high priced, but had some western boyband poster hanging on his wall where the boys was sign and thanked the master to made their tattoos.

Better to phone to made appointment, he is working alone and when working he close the main door.

I got a lotus on my back by jimmy wong 10 years ago. He did a good job but the colors faded mizerably compared to some work I had done back in Canada. He has a son and a daughter as well. my wife had some work done by the daughter Suzy Wong (across from MBK under the pedestrian overpass across from the main entrance). She is excellant I would recomend her.

www.jimmywongtattoo.com

I got a lotus on my back by jimmy wong 10 years ago. He did a good job but the colors faded mizerably compared to some work I had done back in Canada. He has a son and a daughter as well. my wife had some work done by the daughter Suzy Wong (across from MBK under the pedestrian overpass across from the main entrance). She is excellant I would recomend her.

pick a wong, any wong. I have no tattoo, but i have seen about 20 examples of the families' work. I have a few friends that have 2 or 3 pieces from the wong family, though mostly jimmy.