Pampas puff pastry sheets

tassydevil

Not familiar with 'pampas' but Makro sells puff pastry, (squares & sheets) in the freezer case, in the bakery section of store.  Where located at our local Makro, though if not there, check the frozen, ice-cream, pizza & cheese coolers, as use to be there, and usually near the dairy end of the store.

I think I may have seen Pampas in Tops and maybe online Lazada but was horrifically expensive. This one (photo attached) from Makro excellent. I ordered some yesterday. Can be hard to find sometimes either in the upright freezers in the bakery or may be in the floor freezers around where they keep spring roll wrappers etc. You got the code there so if you get stuck get your Mrs to ask someone to scan if they have stock and where it is. It's not exactly cheap either at 200 baht but I would say each pack with three rolls equivalent to about 8-10 sheets of pampas. It is really good, very close to the equal of Pampas. A few tips....Each frozen roll unravels quite easily but best to roll it out when it is sort of 80-90% thawed. After that can get a bit gluggy and stick to itself. Frozen and left overnight in the fridge usually ok to use next morning. Just don't leave it out in the heat to long as it gets condensation etc like I said harder to work with. The other thing I used to roll it out make it go a bit further but it pretty much kills the texture and puffiness of the pastry. Much better to just use the sheets....about 1.5 mm thick as they come, cut them to the size you want. Any extra or odd bits you can mix gently to roll out and use again but try to work it as little as possible.

I do sausage rolls and stuff like that and you can join end bits of the sheets together gently with egg to make another full sheet.

Screenshot_3.jpg

2nd Makro's, and they are quite good.  They also offer the 'cut' squares, great for a quick turnover, or a Danish.  Even by themselves dipped in your favorite flavor.

Cut them (squares) right, and you can roll them up for a quick small croissant, stuffed or not.

Edited by KhunLA

• 1 month later...

I'm also a fan of the puff pastry squares (150x150) from Makro. Sausage rolls, Apple and raisin turnovers come out great.

I keep them in the freezer. I find them easier to work with if I don't let them thaw completely. Just enough to allow me to bend them without cracking.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Interesting read with Christmas coming up.  I wanted to try and make some sausage rolls for a fundraising event.  Previous posters and experienced suagae roll makers - approximately how many small sausage rolls could I make with one of these packs please?  Thanks

31 minutes ago, stament said:

Interesting read with Christmas coming up.  I wanted to try and make some sausage rolls for a fundraising event.  Previous posters and experienced suagae roll makers - approximately how many small sausage rolls could I make with one of these packs please?  Thanks

I use 1 per sausage, so 12 if buying these:

image.png.9028c5353f76ab70bbe8adbec7f06527.png

I use the same puff pastry, with the green lable. It's available in Makro.

I make my own sausage meat.

250 gms Pork mince.

1/2 cup breadcrumbs.

1 tsp Italian mixed herbs.

Salt & Pepper.

Mix together and let it sit for an hour. 

I use a golf ball size piece of sausage meat for each sausage roll.

Also, sometimes I cut the roll in half, if I'm sharing with others.

You can also add 1 shredded apple and 1 shredded onion to the mix.

That works really well.

Edited by jaiyenyen
  • Thumbs Up 2