Vientiane Trip Report

The following is my experience at Vientiane for a Non-Imm O visa. I’m a US citizen, 46, married to a Thai (with children), retired and living in Udon.

On June 21st, my wife and I left the house about 0645, arriving at the Thai border check point about 0735. Stamped out, caught the bridge bus (20 bt each) and arrived at the Lao side of the bridge in about 5 minutes. Bus let us off directly in front a building with two small windows. To the left there are counters for completing forms and seating directly in front of the building in the open. I go to the first window and get behind two guys in line. My turn at the window an official hands me a VOA form & Arr/Dep card. Step away, over to a counter and complete VOA form. Back to first window and hand over VOA form along with passport, one passport picture and $35 (or 1500 bt, if you want to save a few baht and don’t have $$, exchange Baht for $$ and you save a couple hundred baht depending and exchange rate). Wait about 10-15 minutes, second small window opens and see another official waving an open passport, it’s mine. Go collect it and head for the Immigration queue, get stamped in and a few meters up another queue, pay 20 bt entrance fee. My wife already ahead of me is chatting with a Thai lady and turns out she’s married to a farang and are also heading to the Thai consulate. We agree on splitting the transportation fare.

Just as we agree on splitting the fare, a Lao man comes up and ask if we’re going to the Thai consulate. We say yes, some haggling goes on and then my wife turns to me and says he’ll take us all to the consulate and then drop us off at our hotel for 300 bt. Sweet, here I’m thinking we got a good deal on a tuk tuk ride, turns out it’s a mini bus (with A/C). About 0825 we head out and arrive at consulate about 20 minutes later.

We get dropped off at the consulate about 0845, we enter a gate and turn left and are in line behind about 20-25 people. At the head of the line is one official behind a counter and appears to be processing applications. About 10 minutes later another official shows up at the counter, single line quickly forms into 2 lines. The wife who is seated (in the shade) up near the counter sees what’s happening and jumps in the newly formed line, she motions me over and I take her place and now I’m about tenth in line. Those ahead of me take between 4-8 min each as they have their turn. Then I’m up, hand my documents, 2 pictures and passport. Official sorts through it satisfied with what I have then he verifies my wife’s name on marriage certificate and wife’s ID. Satisfied once again he tells me to proceed to the building on my right and pay for visa. The process took a few minutes and the official never uttered a word except to go make payment.

Now in building (consulate) it’s jammed packed, standing room only. Nothing is happening for least 20 minutes, then one of two officials behind a partitioned counter begins calling out names. One by one go up and hand over there payment. About 10 minutes go by and my name is called. Go up hand over 2000 bt and get receipt. Out the door by about 0955, (once outside I noticed about 5-6 people in line over by the visa application receiving counter).

My documents:

(1) Visa Application Form (downloaded and completed the night before)

http://www.thaiembassy.org/vientiane/consu...vices_visa.html

(2) passport photos

(1) copy passport information page (including copy of page with last visa issued)

(1) copy marriage certificate (from USA, not translated)

(1) copy of wife’s ID (signed & dated by my wife)

Note: I had other documents such as a US bank print out showing over $1400 withdrawn from ATM from 1-20 Jun, proof of income letter from US Embassy, copies of children’s birth certificates, copy of house book, original copies for all of the above. None was asked for and none was volunteered. I brought it just incase.

Following day, back at consulate by 1215, people are beginning to form line. I’m 8th in line. Gate opens at 1255, back up to the counter, two lines form and now 4th in line, present my receipt, handed passport, verify visa and krap khun krap.

Mission complete, no drama and good first time experience. Hope the info helps and happy to answer any questions.

Final note: our mini bus driver charged us 600bt for two days, from Lao border to consulate to hotel and vice versa the next day.

That should help others with details that people like to hear before they venture into the unknown.

You might consider a one year extension of your stay from Immigration if you can meet the 40k family income requirement next time as it sounds as if you might be able to do so.

Cool trip report!  This is one of the things that Thaivisa is all about.

Giving trip reports that others can use to get their visas and make their stay in Thailand less difficult.  Did you take any pictures?

Good trip report.

Badbanker

Did you get a Non O single or multiple entry visa?

Single entry

Personally i find it a real pain, are you saying you enjoyed the queue in the 'flaming' heat?

It wasn't that bad...

Cool trip report! This is one of the things that Thaivisa is all about.

Giving trip reports that others can use to get their visas and make their stay in Thailand less difficult. Did you take any pictures?

Good trip report.

Badbanker

Thanks Banker,

No pic's taken, I'm not one for capturing the moment.

Thanks for your trip report.

I am also going to Vientiane next week to change my visa type from non-immigrant (Ed) to non-immigrant (B). Is it the same process with you? Would it be difficult? Could you please kindly reply me what document should I need to prepare and bring? Thanks in advance.

Nan Hti Khalain

Edited by htikhalian

Thanks for your trip report.

I am also going to Vientiane next week to change my visa type from non-immigrant (Ed) to non-immigrant (:o. Is it the same process with you? Would it be difficult? Could you please kindly reply me what document should I need to prepare and bring? Thanks in advance.

Nan Hti Khalain

I applied for a Non-Imm "O" based on marriage. I don't have a clue what documents you need. I would recommend that you start here:

http://www.mfa.go.th/web/2482.php?id=2492

or do a search on this forum.