Thai Chinese air drill likely to create turbulence in procurement of F35 fighter jets

webfact

I think the US could care less at this point. 

From a geopolitical stand point it is just a matter of time and how China will go out. With mushroom clouds or implode internally.

Either way, Thailand is in a fairly good position to feed it's self. So good news. Energy wise is a different story.

The US has all it's energy needs in house, food is good in house. Factories are relocating to Mexico. Mexico will be a huge player in the next few years.

Personally I say let Thailand go down the rabbit hole with China.

The elephant in the room IMO is Japan. It has the navy and the resources to take what it wants. It is aligned with the US and others to make it a power second to none in the region. Watch out for Japan IMO.

Just my onion but what I believe will happen at this point.

Edited by Gknrd
  • Like 2

I understand the F35 was intended to be used as a weapons system, where the real strength comes from having many F35s active in the combat area at the same time for many targets and eliminating multiple simultaneous threats. A single aircraft is like having only one walkie talkie.

Buying only 2 would also defeat this purpose, unless they are intended to serve as Thailand's contribution combined in joint operations along with F35s of other countries, in a west vs east scenario. 

One must ask, who exactly is the eastern threat they think they want to engage? Doesn't really make sense with Thailand's close ties with Russia and China.

Most likely, this exercise in western weapons procurement is made with the purpose to cause China to get even closer to Thailand using their fear of a Thailand with an increased alignment with the west. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

I think it's chances of getting these planes are already less than zero. There is no way the US would trust the Thais to not share military secrets with China. And they don't want the Chinese to get their hands on this technology. No way it will happen. 

So, participating in this drill will not have any impact on any decision. 

You forget who's in the WH.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Gknrd said:

I think the US could care less at this point. 

From a geopolitical stand point it is just a matter of time and how China will go out. With mushroom clouds or implode internally.

Either way, Thailand is in a fairly good position to feed it's self. So good news. Energy wise is a different story.

The US has all it's energy needs in house, food is good in house. Factories are relocating to Mexico. Mexico will be a huge player in the next few years.

Personally I say let Thailand go down the rabbit hole with China.

The elephant in the room IMO is Japan. It has the navy and the resources to take what it wants. It is aligned with the US and others to make it a power second to none in the region. Watch out for Japan IMO.

Just my onion but what I believe will happen at this point.

I tend to agree with everything you have said, especially about Japan's potential to become a force to reckon with.  The U.S. alliance with the Japanese is the best bet to counter China's aggression.

As you implied, China has internal problems that could take down the ruling CCP.  Their economy has matured to the point that it is not able to meet the needs and expectations of its people.  Don't hear much about the New Silk Road.  It is a financial investment that is over ambitious and over extended.  In other words, a money sinkhole.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Hawaiian said:

I tend to agree with everything you have said, especially about Japan's potential to become a force to reckon with.  The U.S. alliance with the Japanese is the best bet to counter China's aggression.

As you implied, China has internal problems that could take down the ruling CCP.  Their economy has matured to the point that it is not able to meet the needs and expectations of its people.  Don't hear much about the New Silk Road.  It is a financial investment that is over ambitious and over extended.  In other words, a money sinkhole.

Japan is very capable militarily. Ironically, they prevented Chiang Kai Shek from defeating Mao Tse Tung & CCP. Now however, China & Japan both face demographic issues that risk to hamper them economically and militarily. That will not happen soon enough for Taiwan, though.

4 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

Thailand is in anyone's pocket when it suits them and if there is money to be made by those in power.

Thailand is a 2 horse jockey -  it will always change horses to the one who it thinks offers the most in kickbacks .  You have to look at the Authoritarian / Communist governments in the region and it seems Thailand is set on joining that circle . They are already buying Chinese Submarines so no way should the US supply anything with advanced technology . 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, placnx said:

Japan is very capable militarily. Ironically, they prevented Chiang Kai Shek from defeating Mao Tse Tung & CCP. Now however, China & Japan both face demographic issues that risk to hamper them economically and militarily. That will not happen soon enough for Taiwan, though.

Is Xi willing to risk the economic fallout if he invades Taiwan.  Besides sanctions, the U.S. and its allies could impose a blockade that would disrupt shipping and devastate the Chinese economy and also affect its food supply.  Only time will tell.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, placnx said:

Japan has had 20 years to deal with the demographic issues. And they have done it extremely well. China is another story all togeather. Japan has dropped it's factories in the countries it wants to sell in and invested int local foreign infrastructure. China is a ticking time bomb IMO.  Wayyyyy to later for China. Unless they can muscle in the oil and food to run the country. And that is a huge if.... If push comes to shove with the oil and gas imports, IMO Japan will cut Chinas supply lines and China will grind to a halt in a matter of months.  They will be eating their rice by candle light.

Then of course the Thai's will be saying they never wanted the Chinese and will blitz the adds in India for its next meal ticket.

Edited by Gknrd

40 minutes ago, Hawaiian said:

Is Xi willing to risk the economic fallout if he invades Taiwan.  Besides sanctions, the U.S. and its allies could impose a blockade that would disrupt shipping and devastate the Chinese economy and also affect its food supply.  Only time will tell.

Exactly,  many people think China is this super power that will take over the world.. They wanted their currency to be the next global currency. So they opened up and what happened?. The Chinese currency was leaving China in the trillion of dollars. The Chinese were cashing in on foreign money and investments. The Chinese had to shut that down quick.. And the global currency idea was dead faster than it started...

Edited by Gknrd
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, shackleton said:

It's pie in the sky Thailand will not be getting the F35

It's to expensive for their needs plus the numbers quoted are a joke ????

and the CCP already has the full spec for the F-35 in its huawei folder.............

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, lujanit said:

If and it's big if Thailand gets approval for a couple of F35s they will be stripped out versions with no weapons systems and sundry other exclusions that the US don't want China to see.

The Thais have already stated they are not buying the weapons systems for these planes.

The whole thing is quite farcical really.