Pattaya police arrest prime suspect in recent pickpocketing thefts of Indian tourists

webfact

image.jpeg

By Adam Judd

Pattaya, Thailand-Pattaya police in conjunction with Tourist Police Division One informed the Pattaya News and other local media today, August 19th, 2022, that a prime suspect in recent thefts on Indian tourists in Pattaya was arrested.

For months now there have been regular reports of late night pickpocketing of Indian tourists walking alone or in small groups around Pattaya. In most of the cases the incident involved snatching gold chains from Indian tourists.

The incidents caused enormous public interest as well as social media discussion with the Indian Community putting pressure on authorities to capture any suspects.

Full story: https://thepattayanews.com/2022/08/19/pattaya-police-arrest-prime-suspect-in-recent-pickpocketing-thefts-of-indian-tourists/

PattayaNews.jpg
-- © Copyright The Pattaya News 2022-08-20

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

• Like 2

I'm guessing the pickpocketeer is the one sitting down - difficult to tell with no pointing from the other faceless ones.  The story is not about necklace snatching per se so the many cases of the disappearing gold could still be an insurance scam?

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Can we still have a go for being dumb enough to go out late at night sporting flamboyant gold chains and seeking ladyboys out? I have warned 3 or 4 of them myself but still see some. 

Maybe after you apologize for buying into the insurance scam myth. I'm pretty sure wearing gold jewelry is a cultural thing for Indian men. Not being aware of the snatch-theft danger in Pattaya doesn't make people stupid. I don't know what you mean by "seeking lady boys out."  Just about every news report I've read said that the ladyboy(s)'s approach to the victim was unexpected, uninvited, and unwelcome.

• Confused 2
  • Haha 1

BTW, the Pattaya police department deserves to be commended for tracking this perp down. I am pretty sure that catching this guy required many hours reviewing CCTV footage, interviewing people, possibly even involving stake outs and plain clothes work.  The 13 officers posing in the picture probably gives a good idea of how many officers were involved in the effort.

Edited by Gecko123
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Gecko123 said:

BTW, the Pattaya police department deserves to be commended for tracking this perp down. I am pretty sure that many hours were spent reviewing CCTV footage and interviewing people in the community were required to finally catch him. The 13 officers posing in the picture probably gives a good idea of how many officers were involved in the effort.

Officer Somchai is waiting for his thank you gift. ????

He can be found soi 9 cop shop from 9 to 5.

Edited by SAFETY FIRST
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Gecko123 said:

Maybe after you apologize for buying into the insurance scam myth.

Ah, but it is not a complete myth, last year one at least was proven not to have been robbed after claiming he had....I will have a chat with my police volunteer pal.. but so far they are just issuing the police reports without much investigation...yes they do come to the police station for them. 

The Indian men just like showing off their possible wealth, as I was told by an Indian man doing other cultural things in a Gentleman's Club. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, webfact said:

For months now there have been regular reports of late night pickpocketing of Indian tourists walking alone or in small groups around Pattaya. In most of the cases the incident involved snatching gold chains from Indian tourists.

I wonder why they keep their necklaces in their pockets... ????

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Gecko123 said:

I believe that most of the officers pictured in photos memorializing major arrests had involvement in the case.

Study the photo closely. Those aren't deadbeat front desk duty officers. Those are detectives, sharp, street savvy cops.

Only the finest! ????

• Like 1

The response from the usual suspects is about what I expected. Suffice it to say, no gold stars for citizenship or character will be handed out this evening.

I guess it doesn't really matter if the AN peanut gallery doesn't appreciate it when the Pattaya police department takes a snatch-thief off the street. I'm sure the Indian community is deeply grateful.

It's sad this forum seems to have become a refuge for those who can't come to terms with Pattaya's changing demographics. It's like the Indian presence is triggering a flare up of some neo-colonialist tropical fever; a reflexive panic to assert one's fading relevance. I picture glaring eyes, teeth gnashing under brush mustaches, gin and tonics being nostalgically sipped on a veranda, dark thoughts hastening the darkening of the setting sun's hues as it slips behind a tea plantation. You have a nice evening, gentlemen.

Edited by Gecko123
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1