Thailand Vs Philippines Again!

Troy Tempest

Sorry guys.....I have seen many threads on this and other websites about whether Thailand is a better than the Philippines as a place for expats.

I have been living in Thailand for over 15 years now and may fancy a change.

However, one of my friends just spent 6 weeks in PIPs and said it was great for a break!....But Guess what?...He has just returned to Bangkok and says he would never live there!....He travelled mainly in the North!

I won't tell you what he said as I am keen to get your own unbiased impressions whether you have actually been or not!

I understand that The Philippines has over 7,000 islands of which about 2,000 are inhabited so there must be diverse cultures and experiences to be had.

I also understand that some of the Southern islands can be dangerous due to the Terrorist situation.

Things change all the time, what with Covid, Ukraine War, Energy Prices, Inflation, etc.?

I was thinking potentially about The Philippines as the next location for me until I saw this on YouTube!

I welcome your comments especially from those who may have visited more recently with details about where you actually spent your time !

Thanks in advance! :thumbsup:

1 hour ago, bkk6060 said:

I just left the Philippines. 

I think it is the worst country in Asia now just a mess of inflation,  garbage, stench, beggars, and rats.  I will never go back total 3rd world S hole.

Also, on previous trips the people seemed pretty friendly.  I felt a big change in this regard not nearly as friendly or at best, fake friendly.

Thailand is 100 times better in my opinion.

Spot on

• Like 1

There is a reason why you see armed guards holding shotguns outside of Jollibees as you enter the restaurant as well as most other establishments. It is not because they want to protect the delicious Jollibee fried chicken, but to protect you from other Filipinos.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Screaming said:

There is a reason why you see armed guards holding shotguns outside of Jollibees as you enter the restaurant as well as most other establishments. It is not because they want to protect the delicious Jollibee fried chicken, but to protect you from other Filipinos.

I was thinking that very thing last night as I ate at tree town. Tree town had a single unarmed security guard while the Macdonalds across the street had nothing. Years later, that contrast still strikes me.