OTP SMS in Thailand

aqua4

Hi,

There are two threads on here that they cant receive an OTP code from banks and other services from abroad while in Thailand. It appears to be global from Australia, UK and South Africa. The threads don't end with a solution. Has anyone been able to receive an OTP lately? I am on TrueH and they suck when it comes to any help. Someone said they had their TrueH ported to AIS but then another one from this year says that AIS does not work now for the OTP any longer. When I called TrueH he said the number was blocked because of spam. I am going to assume not from me but from elsewhere. Said he will unblock my number and it will take 15 minutes. Well that did not work.

1. Can I ask to allow myself to read the spam?

2. Does anyone else know how to get around the OTP problem now?

Much appreciated. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, aqua4 said:

1. Do all the banks use VOIP for their SMS OTP's?

2. Cant one ask to allow the spam emails through to your phone if you wish?

1. I understand the banks don't like VOIP services because they feel they're less secure than a real mobile telephone number from a service provider.

2. You are referring to your mobile 'phone provider blocking SMS from certain numbers. That is something only they can undo. 

'VYKE' offers virtual mobile telephone numbers to rent for; Canada, France, U.K., Poland and U.S.A. That would resolve your issue. 

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, The Fugitive said:

1. I understand the banks don't like VOIP services because they feel they're less secure than a real mobile telephone number from a service provider.

2. You are referring to your mobile 'phone provider blocking SMS from certain numbers. That is something only they can undo. 

'VYKE' offers virtual mobile telephone numbers to rent for; Canada, France, U.K., Poland and U.S.A. That would resolve your issue. 

How do we get a VYKE number?

Has anyone  succeeded in getting True to unblock their banks number

13 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

My U.K. bank, accountant, wealth manager, and a few other 2 factor services send OTP codes to my Thai phone number. I have to problems using them.

Which mobile phone network because it cant be TrueH?

2 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

How do we get a VYKE number?

Has anyone  succeeded in getting True to unblock their banks number

True truly sucks.

3 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Thank you. In your opinion  is it worth  having as a back up?

Is it easy?

I've just checked it out..I'm sold! It look very useful

I've given my Vyke virtual U.K. mobile number to everyone. There are only a few organisations with whom you can't do that because they insist upon Thai mobile numbers e.g. Bangkok Bank and shopping websites. I have been receiving calls and SMS with no problems whilst in Thailand and now presently where I am in U.K. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, The Fugitive said:

I've given my Vyke virtual U.K. mobile number to everyone. There are only a few organisations with whom you can't do that because they insist upon Thai mobile numbers e.g. Bangkok Bank and shopping websites. I have been receiving calls and SMS with no problems whilst in Thailand and now presently where I am in U.K. 

Fortunately I am not currently presented with major  problems re SMS bank messages here in Thailand but I like to  plan for all eventualities and security  considerations.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:
12 hours ago, aqua4 said:

It is AIS, since I’ve been using them for exclusively for about 30 years I can’t comment on other networks.

I use DTAC and can receive OTP via sms from UK bank, HMRC etc

• Thanks 1

On 8/21/2022 at 6:56 PM, petermik said:

True truly sucks.

I had the problem with OTP and UK bank after I changed my phone whereby I could not open my banks app. I contacted True Move H and they confirmed there was a block. They asked me to give them 24 hours, they were very helpful and after 24 hours it was all sorted, True even called me to test everything was OK. Surprised me, because I am not a fan of True. But in this case they were very good.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, elfpattaya said:

I had the problem with OTP and UK bank after I changed my phone whereby I could not open my banks app. I contacted True Move H and they confirmed there was a block. They asked me to give them 24 hours, they were very helpful and after 24 hours it was all sorted, True even called me to test everything was OK. Surprised me, because I am not a fan of True. But in this case they were very good.

Good to hear the positive side too!

On 8/21/2022 at 3:00 PM, aqua4 said:

There are two threads on here that they cant receive an OTP code from banks and other services from abroad while in Thailand. It appears to be global from Australia, UK and South Africa.

No solution as I have had no real problems in the last year with OTP codes from both Wise and Lloyds Offshore on either True or DTAC sims, occasionally one trips over but the alternative sim works.

• Thanks 1

On 8/21/2022 at 6:27 PM, sometimewoodworker said:

My U.K. bank, accountant, wealth manager, and a few other 2 factor services send OTP codes to my Thai phone number. I have to problems using them.

Thanks. I had the number ported to AIS and it works. What a relief. 

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 8/21/2022 at 6:27 PM, sometimewoodworker said:

My US banks do not allow me to update my old US phone number to my new Thai phone number.

No OTP = no money.

Wise uses Plaid which now requires me to give up my US bank username and password. No way.

I'll look into VYKE but all the US number services seem to fail quickly, if they ever work, free or paid services without the ads

• Like 1

Still working on this with my credit card's issuing bank.

Google translation from the German of part  of a recent reply:

Worldwide: Russia, Peru, Australia, United Arab Emirates

You are in a country where we cannot guarantee delivery.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I have been having a problem receiving any SMS OTP for the last 5 days.

While trying to pay my mobile bills through KBank to AIS, DTAC and 3 BB I get all the way to the SMS OTP part, then click on OTP, I get the reference code 4 letters but the 6 figure OTP number can take anything from 19 minutes to a couple of hours to arrive.

Not much use when I only have a 5 minute window.

A copy of my log for the last 2 days follows.

KBank SMS

I requested my first KBank SMS at 10:25 on 17 February 2023 and it arrived on my mobile at 10:52.

The reference DVMK otp 353643 was generated at 10:25 but it took 27 minutes to arrive at 10:52 instead of the usual less than 1 minute.

As the time limit is 5 minutes it is a waste of time

This problem has only started since Tuesday 14 February 2023.

The 2nd reference WPST otp 916731, was generated at 10:33 and delivered at 12:00.

My 3rd reference HYYR otp 838177 and was generated at 13:44 and arrived at 14:18.

My 4th reference UTLL otp   was generated at 17:42 17 February 2023 and arrived at 18:20.

My 5th reference MGOR otp 560670 was generated at 18:11 through my Opera browser and the problem still remains. It arrived at 19:04.

Reference TYPC otp 599225 generated at 18:11 and received at 20:15.

I have called the same AIS operator as yesterday with a similar result though she did suggest using a different browser. I tried again with Opera instead of Chrome but get the same result.

Sunday 19 February 2023

1st reference today Reference MEMV otp 050723 generated at 11:54, received at 12:13, well outside the 5-minute window.

2nd try today. Reference CFDV otp 277115 at 13:03 generated at 13:03, received at 14:xx. Well outside the 5 minutes allowed.

I transferred funds from my BBK Bank to KBank. I logged into BBK online and that worked and told me that I had transferred the funds but no SMS to say I got the funds in the first place.

I have contacted both the KBank and AIS call centres who deny the problem is theirs.

I have shut my mobile down to clear the messages cache. That made no difference. The SMS actually do show up after a long period of time, so they are being sent.

Might sound silly bit I had a similar problem. Calling AIS and Kbank and everyone said it was the other systems problem. At the point of really spitting the dummy, a young lady from kbank suggested trying the sim in a different phone. Did that, made another transaction, got the otp in seconds. She suggested it could be the phone and she was correct. Bought a new phone, even though the old one was only 3 years old, have not had the problem since.

• Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Mister T said:

Might sound silly bit I had a similar problem. Calling AIS and Kbank and everyone said it was the other systems problem. At the point of really spitting the dummy, a young lady from kbank suggested trying the sim in a different phone. Did that, made another transaction, got the otp in seconds. She suggested it could be the phone and she was correct. Bought a new phone, even though the old one was only 3 years old, have not had the problem since.

Thank you for that information.

I will try that when I can pry the mobile from my wife or son.

Too late tonight.

• 4 weeks later...

Any guy's had any issues with GiffGaff lately ?.

Trying logging in to my UK back account yesterday, didn't get any SMS code's.

I called my UK bank, bank said my GiffGaff/O2 have not proceed the SMS.

About midnight had about 20 SMS with all my login codes from all my attempts trying to login.

• Sad 1