Local massage vendors in Phuket protest over foreign investors allegedly operating shops at much lower prices

webfact

They are probably more concerned not about the actual charges for the massage which are coming under pressure from these alleged foreign investors, but more to do with the charges for "extras" where the real money is made.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, webfact said:

They have many shops in Phuket, all essentially a copy of each other.

And I thought that is the idea of a chain. Same, same - not much different.

And if they trained massage properly, i.e. in Wat Pho, then it will also be same same all the time. People are trained to follow many steps one after the other.

2 hours ago, Tracyb said:

Anyone see a problem after reading this:

“Normally, the price for a massage in Phuket as agreed upon by local massage associations is about 300 baht.”

Rub and tug, well thats cheap as chips.....

23 minutes ago, Songkhla Sam said:

100,150200or 300 baht for an hour is not the issue it’s the money lost on the extras and I have it on good first “hand” authority that none of those lovely ladies working for the local massage mafia or the foreign chain is shaking hands with the bishop for any less than 500 baht (extra) there in lies the rub… (all the above strictly tongue in cheek).

Tongue in cheek a tad.more I reckon! 

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, webfact said:

“There is a massage shop chain which has been invested in by foreigners but operated by Thais. They have many shops in Phuket, all essentially a copy of each other.

hahaha operated by thais. sweet sweet music right there.

if your business model sucks you'll go out of business. good luck losers.

9 hours ago, webfact said:

“There is a massage shop chain which has been invested in by foreigners but operated by Thais. They have many shops in Phuket, all essentially a copy of each other.

I'ts called competition... and we all know how much that is disliked.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Tracyb said:

“Normally, the price for a massage in Phuket as agreed upon by local massage associations is about 300 baht.”

Agree , the Thai businesses are upset by the foreign investors infringing on there patch.

Nothing stays the same .

8 hours ago, Tracyb said:

Samui as well, we did find a shop at 250. Usual here in Chiang Mai 200 -250. when dad scan Kaew was still open we went to the 3rd floor were the shops charged 150 per hour.