Is marriage visa extension or transition to tourist visa the best course

I arrived on a marriage visa with my wife, which expires mid-Oct.

We'll only be staying until end of December, so I'm wondering if it's worth the hassle to extend my marriage visa (appointment, paperwork, attending with wife, etc), or possibly transitioning to a 60-day tourist visa and extending that 30 days, which would cover the days we'll be here.

Does anyone know or have experience with obtaining a 60-day tourist visa without leaving the country? And would they issue one to me if I just let my marriage visa expire/cancel (there would probably be days left on it)?

I'm just wondering if this would simplify the process since I would only need less than 3 months of a full year extension to the marriage visa anyway.

If it's not possible, I'll just go through the extension process.

Any expertise would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Thanks for the quick reply and info! A good option.

A couple related questions:

- I imagine I'd have to make appointment at Immigration for 60-day extension, and not online?

- Are there any documents needed for the extension - e.g. bank statement, up-to-date marriage registration from district office, etc....and does she have to accompany me to Immigration? Or can I just show up and apply for immigration with just my passport/O Visa stamp in hand?

16 minutes ago, Neal693 said:

A couple related questions:

- I imagine I'd have to make appointment at Immigration for 60-day extension, and not online?

- Are there any documents needed for the extension - e.g. bank statement, up-to-date marriage registration from district office, etc....and does she have to accompany me to Immigration? Or can I just show up and apply for immigration with just my passport/O Visa stamp in hand?

A appointment is not mandatory to apply for the 60 day extension at the local immigration office for where you are staying.

Your wife will need to be with you when you apply for the extension.

You will need copies of your passport photo page, visa and arrival stamp. Also a copy of your TM6 arrival card if you got one when you arrived.

Your marriage certificate and copy of it will be needed. Copies of you wife's house book registry and ID card.

Apologies - i have another question, and should clarify that i'm on the initial 90-days of my visa (arrived mid-July, expires mid-Oct):

I believe I'll be required to show my bank account with a minimum balance of 400k baht for at least 60 days prior to extension request.

I actually wasn't aware of this stipulation until this week, and my account went below 400k for 2 only days - but it was the first 2 days of the 60-day window.

However, I also have a retirement account (Provident Fund) here with more than enough to cover the financial requirement.

Do you know if they would accept my retirement account statement as financial proof of funds in the country, or does it have to specifically be in a Thai savings account?

Edited by Neal693
needed to correct date

16 minutes ago, Neal693 said:

I believe I'll be required to show my bank account with a minimum balance of 400k baht for at least 60 days prior to extension request.

No financial proof is needed to apply for a 60 day extension to visit your wife. It is only needed for a one year extension of stay.

See number 24 here. https://www.immigration.go.th/en/?page_id=1890

3 hours ago, mamagolf said:

I'm in a similar situation as the op, and just want to clarify. Can I come to Thailand to visit my wife on a non-o 90 day family visa, then extend that for 60 more days to visit my wife without needing to have 400k in a Thai bank?

No financial proof is required for a 60 day extension to visit you wife.

Mamagolf - I went to Immigration in Phuket this week and the 60-day extension is being given on Non-O 90-day visas to help tourism recovery - the officer actually called it the 'Covid extension' or 'Covid visa' (can't remember which)...and the 400k is not needed for this.

I don't know how long this will last, but I would assume at least through the end of the year.