Help, which visa?

I’m moving to Thailand end of September and am having difficulty in choosing the right visa.

I plan on taking early retirement in June 2023 and wish to stay until then. I will then apply for the retirement visa as will have the 800,000baht then.

Im finding the application a little confusing, not helped by the Thai embassy and thaievisa sites contradicting each other.

Any advice greatly appreciated ????

Unless you are 50 years old or over now your only option may be a a tourist visa to stay until you can apply for a non-o visa for retirement anda one year extension.

A multiple entry tourist visa (METV) might be the best choice. 

• Like 1

Is the special tourist visa still available? This would give you 9 months without leaving, then at the end do a border run to get started with the retirement visa.

If not, then get a METV, if you apply shortly before you fly you can get nearly 9 months from it, will require 3 border runs in total though.

Or you could get an education visa/extension, learning some Thai might even be a good idea if you plan to spend your remaining years here.

1 hour ago, FriendlyFarang said:

Is the special tourist visa still available? This would give you 9 months without leaving, then at the end do a border run to get started with the retirement visa.

If not, then get a METV, if you apply shortly before you fly you can get nearly 9 months from it, will require 3 border runs in total though.

Or you could get an education visa/extension, learning some Thai might even be a good idea if you plan to spend your remaining years here.

The Special Tourist Visa still has onerous requirements. Even if possible to get, it is not really a good choice. An METV requires border bounces every 60-90 days, but is overall a better choice in most cases. If not wishing to leave Thailand, at a price, agents can find solutions.

"early 2023" ...  only half a year away or so ... so why don't you cool your heels until then make an out-of-country retirement visa application, or visa on arrival and convert to retirement visa rather than come here soon for all the BS of border runs, and the expense of uncertain, possible difficulties with border-runs. Slow down, and process the much more orderly and easier options.

I am in a little bit similar situation:

- Will come for holiday on visa exempt, for 3 weeks end of September.

- then I will come for business beginning of November, for around 4 to 5 weeks

- and then I possibly will start working in Thailand for a Thai company beginning of January 2023

As I will need a business visa for employment next year, I wonder when it is the best to start that visa, and which visa to choose for my November trip (if this one at all with visa.

Second question: is it possible to have overlapping visa? Lets say a business visa for November, and a new business visa for employment from January on, while the first one still valid?